using our Verizon cell phones from home on the Ruby Princess

missmymary

It's not a full day for me unless I've made one snarky anti-cellphone remark, either live or on the boards here. Now that I have it out of my system, perhaps someone who owns one of those inventions of the devil will answer properly. In the interim, I can tell you what I've picked up on here: it's expensive but from some ports, it'll be included in your plan as though you were at home (St. Thomas, SJU, etc.). But from the ship, I believe it's like $2.50 per minute plus your carrier's charges.

My advice: go old school, send post cards!

It's not a full day for me unless I've made one snarky anti-cellphone remark, either live or on the boards here. Now that I have it out of my system, perhaps someone who owns one of those inventions of the devil will answer properly. In the interim, I can tell you what I've picked up on here: it's expensive but from some ports, it'll be included in your plan as though you were at home (St. Thomas, SJU, etc.). But from the ship, I believe it's like $2.50 per minute plus your carrier's charges.

My advice: go old school, send post cards!

Hi, I love your response ! Yes, post cards are the way to go. ! I think I will call Verizon tomorrow and see what they say.

Thank you again

perhaps someone who owns one of those inventions of the devil will answer properly!

OMG, I so have to agree with you.................why did they ever invent the darned things? I hate em. :mad: It is one nice thing about being onboard the ship, very few (if any) people talking on a cell phone...........as nobody wants to pay the high price, thank goodness we still have a place we can go to get away from them, a ship. :)

We have verizon service and only use them, when necessary, while in a roaming free port. I have, however, turned them on on the ship and get a no service massage. I don't know who you contact at Verizon to activate the system but do know it will cost you about $2.50 a minute if you van activate it.

To add to rdsqrls comments - YOU ARE ON VACATION - you don't need a cellphone glued to your ear.

We have verizon service and only use them, when necessary, while in a roaming free port. I have, however, turned them on on the ship and get a no service massage. I don't know who you contact at Verizon to activate the system but do know it will cost you about $2.50 a minute if you van activate it.

To add to rdsqrls comments - YOU ARE ON VACATION - you don't need a cellphone glued to your ear.

Another opinion here...

I don't use my cell on vacation either because I like truly getting away. However, there are MANY situations in which people would still like to BE ABLE to communicate via cell. I'm thinking of parents on vacation with kids home with the grandparents, people with elderly parents at home who may need to be reached in an emergency, people who have customers/clients with needs that can't wait (doctors with patients, or lawyers such as my own DH), etc.

Do I find people who talk incessantly on their cell phones annoying? YES! Do I find people who are intolerant of ALL cell phone users without knowing circumstances rude? Also YES! If you choose to turn your cell phone off and totally escape on your vacation, that's great - I feel the same way! But someone else on the same vacation will have spent the same money for their vacation and is entitled to pass the time however they like, even if it's on the phone.

The OP's original question was simply one about logistics (which has been answered) - IMO it wasn't an invitation for "snarky anti-cellphone remarks" or suggestions that she shouldn't even be bringing it.

Went to Verizon yesterday because I'm going on my first cruise (eastern Carribean on Carnival) in March. They told me it's $2.50/min. Also told me to call 611 to get them to program the phone for Carnival Glory(there's a 5 digit code). The best thing I learned is that it only costs 50 cents to send a text and 5 cents to receive one. didn't ask them about calling from St. Thomas or San Juan. Guess I ought to do that, because I don't plan on making any $2.50/min calls. Am doing a Princess Alaska sea/land tour in August, so I'll go back to Verizon to get up to date info before that.

Another opinion here...

I don't use my cell on vacation either because I like truly getting away. However, there are MANY situations in which people would still like to BE ABLE to communicate via cell. I'm thinking of parents on vacation with kids home with the grandparents, people with elderly parents at home who may need to be reached in an emergency, people who have customers/clients with needs that can't wait (doctors with patients, or lawyers such as my own DH), etc.

Do I find people who talk incessantly on their cell phones annoying? YES! Do I find people who are intolerant of ALL cell phone users without knowing circumstances rude? Also YES! If you choose to turn your cell phone off and totally escape on your vacation, that's great - I feel the same way! But someone else on the same vacation will have spent the same money for their vacation and is entitled to pass the time however they like, even if it's on the phone.

The OP's original question was simply one about logistics (which has been answered) - IMO it wasn't an invitation for "snarky anti-cellphone remarks" or suggestions that she shouldn't even be bringing it.

Your sarcastic remarks to my post are welcome!!! If you notice, however, I did answer the OP's post in my first paragraph. The second line was just for some "levity".

I brought my cell with us on vacation only because my dad was in hospital and used it when in St Thomas and it cost no more then in Ft Lauderdale so it will work in some ports.(I have verizon)
St. Thomas is a US territory, not a foreign country. Be very careful when using your phone. It can cost up to $1.50/minute in Mexico plus roaming charges. Your US plan does not apply for either cell phone calls or data when outside the US or a US territory.

We recently cruised into Mexico and were very concerned about our parents. My wife's dad is 90 and my Mom and Dad are both 89 years old and not in the best of health. We called Verizon before we left and they put us on a special plan for Mexico which was for 15 days at about $40.00. We were told to walk off the ship in our 3 ports and we could make calls at no extra charge. There was a total minute charge but it was more than we were going to use. We did that in each port and included calling some friends and other relatives and stayed within our minutes. We got back one day and had forgotten to call someone. We went out on our balcony while the ship was still in port and made the call and it did not cost us more. I am not sure if we are in port why we have to get off the ship but we did what we were told. We also had to text package at $.50 per sending texts and $.05 for receiving.

Hope that helps.

We recently cruised into Mexico and were very concerned about our parents. My wife's dad is 90 and my Mom and Dad are both 89 years old and not in the best of health. We called Verizon before we left and they put us on a special plan for Mexico which was for 15 days at about $40.00. We were told to walk off the ship in our 3 ports and we could make calls at no extra charge. There was a total minute charge but it was more than we were going to use. We did that in each port and included calling some friends and other relatives and stayed within our minutes. We got back one day and had forgotten to call someone. We went out on our balcony while the ship was still in port and made the call and it did not cost us more. I am not sure if we are in port why we have to get off the ship but we did what we were told. We also had to text package at $.50 per sending texts and $.05 for receiving.

Hope that helps.

I don't know why they would advise you to walk off the ship? They are supposed to shut down the ship's cell phone service system when in port. We have our Verizon phones set up for international calling with only a per minute charge. We recentlu used it in Canad for $.69 per minute.

OMG, I so have to agree with you.................why did they ever invent the darned things? I hate em. :mad: It is one nice thing about being onboard the ship, very few (if any) people talking on a cell phone...........as nobody wants to pay the high price, thank goodness we still have a place we can go to get away from them, a ship. :)

well, normally I would agree with you. However, I asked the question because we both have elderly parents and we have to be in touch.

Another opinion here...

Thank you for your thoughtful post. Yes, we do have elderly parents, children, and my husband is a doctor. SO, I did have a very good reason for asking the question. Apparently, you are one of few who have decided not to be snarky and i thank you.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for your nice reply. We will call Verizon today. :) Happy sailing to you and yours.

St. Thomas is a US territory, not a foreign country. Be very careful when using your phone. It can cost up to $1.50/minute in Mexico plus roaming charges. Your US plan does not apply for either cell phone calls or data when outside the US or a US territory.
We once used our Verizon phone in Alaska during a cruise to check on infirmed parents, and although the coverage map showed the ports were covered, we got hit with fairly substantial roaming charges.

Checking with the cell phone carrier for the best solution to this issue is the right way to be proactive.

Also I believe the reason for using the phone away from the ship is so the local cell tower will pick up the signal, not the receiver onboard ship.

I brought my cell with us on vacation only because my dad was in hospital and used it when in St Thomas and it cost no more then in Ft Lauderdale so it will work in some ports.(I have verizon)

I've previously read the same comment that there were no extra charges for Verizon when calling from St. Thomas but their web site doesn't include that island in their plan. Are you sure there were no roaming charges?

I've previously read the same comment that there were no extra charges for Verizon when calling from St. Thomas but their web site doesn't include that island in their plan. Are you sure there were no roaming charges?

I have used my Verizon in St Thomas as late as last spring with no roaming charges, however, their coverage map does not show it anymore. I looked at their international rates and they now show a surcharge for St Thomas and Puerto Rico even though PR is shown on their coverage map.

Well, I just called Verizon and now there is a $1.69 per minute charge for St Thomas and a $1.99 charge for Puerto Rico, even though Puerto Rico shows up on the regular coverage map. It must have been one of those "middle of the night" things they don't tell their customers about.

We once used our Verizon phone in Alaska during a cruise to check on infirmed parents, and although the coverage map showed the ports were covered, we got hit with fairly substantial roaming charges.

Checking with the cell phone carrier for the best solution to this issue is the right way to be proactive.

Also I believe the reason for using the phone away from the ship is so the local cell tower will pick up the signal, not the receiver onboard ship.

I think it all depends on your cell phone provider and your plan. We've used our cell phones in Alaska with absolutely no additional charge.

Will the cord stretch that far?

I have to laugh because I haven't owned a phone with a cord in years and I make very few calls on my cell phone because I mostly text, email or instant message. With that being said, One year my wife had to call the dentist from St Thomas to cancel an appointment she booked for my son long before we booked the cruise. She only remembered because the day before at sea her blackberry alerted her to the appointment.

Archived