Think I'm finished with cruising

Ms belp

We lost our cruise last April to Venice/Greek Islands. We cancelled our cruise to Hawaii on my birthday. We cancelled the Spirit out of NO in April. I'm thinking cruising is a memory. It's just not the same anymore.

We lost our cruise last April to Venice/Greek Islands. We cancelled our cruise to Hawaii on my birthday. We cancelled the Spirit out of NO in April. I'm thinking cruising is a memory. It's just not the same anymore.

I don't really understand from your post what influenced your decision

Your signature shows two upcoming cruises. Are you canceling those, too? I am also confused by your post.

TracyE

Ms Belp,

I am sorry to hear this, but sometimes things do get boring and nothing remanins the same. I do think cruising has changed in the past 30 years, I don't think it, I know it, still it is a wonderful experienc and the best value out there in my estimation. Give it time, I am sure you will be back. We felt the same about Las Vegas, after years and years of spending time there every 6 months or so, we decided about 5 years ago we didn't like it anymore and it had changed so much. Now, we talk about our next trip as if we were planning it now. We can't wait to return.

Nita

I can sympathize with the burn out. My partner and I have cruised for over 10 years only on Holland and Celebrity, and it was getting to be the same thing, just different ships. So this year we are trying the NCL Star in a Penthouse, just to shake things up. Also we are going to be more adventurous on shore excursions. Sometimes you just need to change things up !

I, too, am confused by your post. What do you mean by "lost" your cruise? Why did you cancel the others? Maybe if you fill us in a bit more, we can give you helpful hints to make you feel better and have better luck. We fellow cruisers are here to help :)

Maxi

Too much of even a GOOD thing can be bad. Everything in moderation!

:cool:

If you don't believe me, try eating an entire box of Girl Scout Thin Mints for breakfast! :p Just sayin.......

THATS BAD .... shoot , now you tell me...:p

We are closing in on 50 cruises. Our problem isn't that we're getting tired of cruising, but are getting tired of visiting the same old ports over and over again. Would you believe I've been to St. Thomas 14 times? In a couple of weeks we will be cruising to Hawaii for our 5th time.

There are a few places we haven't been like the Baltic and Africa, but for some reason can't get excited about going there.

So I understand what you are saying, but for a different reason.

I hope you aren't having health problems but it sounds like that is the case. We had to cancel our long awaited 28 day Panama Canal cruise due to a traffic accident and I feel like I'm in mourning....which sounded like the tone of your post.

Frigid winter weather sitting in the house instead of being in warm climate on a cruise ship=depression. (talking about myself and DH)

I hope you feel better soon and can enjoy your upcoming cruise! Looking forward to an upcoming one is my way of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

We are closing in on 50 cruises. Our problem isn't that we're getting tired of cruising, but are getting tired of visiting the same old ports over and over again. Would you believe I've been to St. Thomas 14 times? In a couple of weeks we will be cruising to Hawaii for our 5th time.

There are a few places we haven't been like the Baltic and Africa, but for some reason can't get excited about going there.

you have passed us by a long shot, but yes, our problem is similar. We haven't been to any pot that many times, Cozumel about 7 or 8 times and other ports maybe 4 or 5 times. last spring we did the Pacific coastal cruise from L.A. to Vancouver. Though I am not crazy over cold and rainy cruising, we enjoyed the new experience.

Nita

I never get sick of it. I love to travel and I don't mind the same place over and over (have been to Vegas about 25 times). I am sure there are quite a few people who would love to have our problems. When I get stuck going to the same port again I try to see something different or just have a few more margaritas and it all looks different!!!!:D

And we're just the opposite. Been to the Baltics, and the Black Sea, and the Med 4 times, and trans-atlantic and trans-pacific.

St. Thomas holds no appeal whatsoever.

Go figure.

Refresh your repertoire.

Try other cruise lines and you'll see that cruising is still what it's supposed to be.:)

Isn't Nachi Cocom phenominal!?

Im going to have to disagree with you about it being phenominal.. LOL. It wasn't horrible.. and it did have very clean bathrooms.. but we just didn't have a great time there. Pool was FREEZING cold, hot tub was barely warm and the beach had bugs.. LOL. But we made the best of it and enjoyed ourselves. Food was very good and the staff was very nice.

If you don't believe me, try eating an entire box of Girl Scout Thin Mints for breakfast! :p Just sayin.......

You wait for the tummy ache to go away and you eat more. Drink water, that's the ticket. :p

Ms Belp it seems that you have had too many disappointments. Maybe the answer is to just do a last minute cruise (maybe save a chunk of money) and there is no time for disappointment (Hopefully).

As far as it getting boring, well, I haven’t gotten there yet and hope to never arrive. My first cruise last year was the first in six and a half years, long overdue. The second one was planned at the last minute because I knew that I had to take some time off. The third one was not planned and was booked two days before I left. Had to use vacation time or lose it. I’m booked for one in March which was planned before cruise 2 and 3 of 2010. I don’t have the excitement that I had for the first one but am still looking forward to it. I’m tempted to limit my cruises so that I don’t get to boredom city.

With the above in mine, there is nothing like sitting on the deck at night and staring at the ocean and stars. I love hearing the sound of the ship pushing through the water; seeing another ship in the distance occasionally. It is a spiritual experience for me. I’m in awe of God when I look at those elements and the beautiful architecture of the ship. To think about the technological innovations that make that ride so smooth and where ships were in the beginning and where they are now.

Nita has it right. When you look at the cost of land trips compared to the cruise package, you hotel (ship), food, entertainment all paid for. In addition, you can feel safe that you will not likely be mugged while enjoying that experience.

CaribbeanApril10.jpg

DSCF2047.jpg

This is why we do one cruise per year (though 2006 was a fluke for us) and do land vacations for the others- and those are always to someplace different.

If we had the money we would probably cruise twiec a year. We are doing 2 this year I think. We can only handle 2 vacataions a year and we love to do one land trip. If I had my way we would probably skip the land trip. Cruising just offer so much for the buck. It is going to cost us almost as much as the cruise just to drive from here to NOLA next month and spend a few nights in a hotel plus 1 night in New Orleans, not to mention the wear and tear on the car.

Nita

Archived