Kids in their own stateroom?

Carolinagirl82

Me, DH and our 2 DD's (7 & 9) will be on the Valor in April. 4 of us, in one cabin and sharing a bathroom, doesn't sound too appealing. All balcony connecting cabins are sold out, as are the suites. Sooo...we booked two balconies side by side and plan on using the balconies to go back and forth between cabins.

It was only $300 more to book two cabins and for the extra room, bigger balcony and extra bathroom, it seems worth it to me. But, in the same thought, I'm worried about them being by themselves. I plan on bringing a baby monitor, so that should help.

I guess my question is, has anyone done this with kids around the same age as mine? I'm worried about someone coming into their cabin although they will have strict rules NOT to open the door for ANYONE. If someone happens to knock on their door, they are to come get one of us via the balcony.

Listen...they will be closer than they probably are in their own bedrooms at home. I wouldn't worry. Lay down some rules, and follow thru on any punishments...but they'll be fine. You're right there...6 steps away.

This is very true! Thanks for calming my nerves.:)

I did not know that you could go from room to room via the balconies. I thought I read that they are not allowing you to open the partitions anymore. I think I would feel more secure if each room had one adult in it. I would be concerned about one of the kids waking up and being confused/scared etc in the night. We are hopefully going to cruise in 2012 when my kids will be 14 and 8 and I am hoping to still do the connecting rooms.

I did not know that you could go from room to room via the balconies. I thought I read that they are not allowing you to open the partitions anymore. I think I would feel more secure if each room had one adult in it. I would be concerned about one of the kids waking up and being confused/scared etc in the night. We are hopefully going to cruise in 2012 when my kids will be 14 and 8 and I am hoping to still do the connecting rooms.

I confirmed with my PVP that the balcony dividers would be opened. I think they won't open them if the partition blocks he door or something like that.

As for the kids waking up, they've never woken in the middle of the night on any other vacations. I'm not concerned with them getting confused or scared during the night.

I've booked multiple rooms. I think most cruises require an "adult" for each room. Once on board you can simply ask for additional keys and swap rooms.

As to comfort, everything depends on your paranoi as well as your kids values/behavior. I know I would have no problems with my kids at that age to be in a seperate and adjacent room.

I've booked multiple rooms. I think most cruises require an "adult" for each room. Once on board you can simply ask for additional keys and swap rooms.

As to comfort, everything depends on your paranoi as well as your kids values/behavior. I know I would have no problems with my kids at that age to be in a seperate and adjacent room.

Yes, that's what I did. Booked myself and oldest DD in one room, DH and youngest DD in the other.

I just go to guest services and switch up the keys? They won't question an adult not being in the room?

Yes, that's what I did. Booked myself and oldest DD in one room, DH and youngest DD in the other.

I just go to guest services and switch up the keys? They won't question an adult not being in the room?

I may be missing something here but I'm not so sure I'd have the keys switched. It might be handy for you and your husband to have one key that will open the kids room and for them to have one that will open your room. I understand that you and your husband may not be together the entire time so maybe that's the reason you need to switch...in that case maybe you could just take the key of the daughter who is booked in your cabin...assuming the girls stay together they could share 1 key.

We haven't done the separate cabins on Carnival but have on Royal. We just go to guest services and they issue a 'spare key' for both rooms for us. Of course on Royal we have always been able to book the kids in their own cabin from the start so just needed a key for us to get into their cabin and them to get into ours if needed.

I may be missing something here but I'm not so sure I'd have the keys switched. It might be handy for you and your husband to have one key that will open the kids room and for them to have one that will open your room. I understand that you and your husband may not be together the entire time so maybe that's the reason you need to switch...in that case maybe you could just take the key of the daughter who is booked in your cabin...assuming the girls stay together they could share 1 key.

Good point. They really don't even need to have their keys. They'll either be with us or in Camp Carnival, I won't let them roam the ship alone. It's good to know that I can get a 'spare' key, too.

We are doing the same as far as cabins go on our cruise in April. We have 2 balcony cabins side by side and are having the partition removed on the balcony. What we plan on doing is using the door alarms (you can get these at Home Depot or similar) for a few bucks. We are also bringing our baby monitor.

We are actually using this set up for 2 separate families. My family is myself, DH, DD8 and DS4. My sister in law's family is herself, DH, DD12 and DS8. I am a bit nervous about it, but we have spoken to the kids about and continue to - I think it will be ok.

I was on the Valor last year and the balcony partitions could not be opened til the 3rd day of the cruise per the Captains order.

That being said I am one of those rare people who thinks children the ages of yours should not be left alone in the cabin. I think it would be very frightening to a child to go out on the balcony at night in the dark and many times very windy to get to the cabin next door. I remember the balconies on the Valor being quite narrow.

There are "stick" devices that you use when you travel, to jam under the door knob, to keep others from coming into your room at night. Maybe that would make you feel better? The door alarms are only good once the kid has opened the door, and they can be fast when they want to be.

If you go with the stick devices, make sure you remove it during daytimes, when the steward might need to get into the cabin.

There are "stick" devices that you use when you travel, to jam under the door knob, to keep others from coming into your room at night. Maybe that would make you feel better? The door alarms are only good once the kid has opened the door, and they can be fast when they want to be.

If you go with the stick devices, make sure you remove it during daytimes, when the steward might need to get into the cabin.

That 's a good idea also, my concern is if there were an emergency in the cabin or need to get out quickly I would be worried the sticks with make that difficult. It is an idea to think about though, I will suggest this to my hubby and see if this would be better for us.

I think having the extra adjacent room is a great idea and I would not worry. As a previous poster stated, they're closer to you than they probably are at home. Once the balcony partitions are opened, it's like one big cabin anyway.

Have fun!

That 's a good idea also, my concern is if there were an emergency in the cabin or need to get out quickly I would be worried the sticks with make that difficult. It is an idea to think about though, I will suggest this to my hubby and see if this would be better for us.

I think you're right. For safety reasons, I would not use the sticks.

Archived