Carnival ship are pulled out of Belize this week

katiecat

So raise the cruise rate $2.00 or the cost of each drink $0.01 to cover the cost.

BTW, did you see this on the same site:

"Of last year's 132 murders, the Belize district accounted for almost 90 of them - and most of those were in the city, after all, you very rarely hear about murders in rural Belize.

And that's what makes the killing of 46 year old Harris Gabourel so noteworthy; the Boston Villager was found dead in an area off the old northern highway this morning, he had been shot multiple times to the upper body."

DON

If Carnival rolled over and agreed to whatever prices anyone charged for their services our nice affordable cruises would not be so affordable anymore.

My 2 cents--but I think it's kinda foul that Carnival is strong-arming them over $2! :eek:

Beause if you cave now to an extra $2, next year it's another $2, and so on and so on. Take a stand, break them now and put a long term contract back in place.

Wow........don't get out of your element much huh:confused:

No sense paying for a cruise so they can drop you off in Costa Maya as an alternate to Belize.

If I want to see slums, begging, and guns, I can just take a drive through the west side of Chicago.

The whole point of a cruise is to get away and see something different. All I can tell you is if you're looking for something different, it's not available in Costa Maya.

No sense paying for a cruise so they can drop you off in Costa Maya as an alternate to Belize.

If I want to see slums, begging, and guns, I can just take a drive through the west side of Chicago.

The whole point of a cruise is to get away and see something different. All I can tell you is if you're looking for something different, it's not available in Costa Maya.

Like I said;)

$2 a head difference doesn't seem like much, especially when you could literally lose so much when cruises are cancelled. Better they take the $5 a head for now, than lose thousands when cruise ships skip the port because of the dispute. Belize totally counts on tourism for it's main source of money. Many are going to suffer a giant lose of income because of this.:(

I don't know 2 bucks a head is a lot if you tender 2500 passangers that 5 grand.

After today there are no more cruise ships scheduled to dock in Belize until next Wednesday.

On Wednesday and Thursday seven ships from CCL, NCL and RCI carrying about 22,000 passengers are scheduled to be in port.

That's $110,000 in tender fees alone that will be lost and millions more in shore excursions, retail and other spending that won't go into the Belizian economy.

Who wants to bet this won't be settled by then?

Wow........don't get out of your element much huh:confused:

Like I said;)

Okay, so what am I missing here?

Costa Maya is a dump and the beaches woud rank low on the totem pole compared to dozens of others in the Caribbean.

I've only been there once but that's all it took for me. Perhaps you've uncovered something that I don't know about.

Can you share some highlights?

Hi there, Welcome back. I'm a little slow catching up here but noticed

you recently sailed on the Spirit. By any chance did it stop in Cabo?

:p

Thanks! 2 wonderful days in Cabo:) For real:D We visited friends condo overlooking the marina ( cc member) and had a great day visiting and drinking Pacificos with them and another cc member........made reservations with them to stay there a week in May.....

It is just so upsetting...Belize really needs money...I was there, and it really looked kind of like a "third-world country". The people were just so nice, though. :(

It was interesting to look at the other news stories on that website from Belize, too!

Why yes...yes it does.......I wonder why:confused:

Some of the best snorkeling in the Western Hemisphere is along the Meso American reef just off shore of Belize. The reef actually prevents the cruise ships from docking, hence the need for tendering. If Carnival & the other lines anchored off San Pedro Island about 12 miles north of the Belize City dump, many cruisers would change their opinion of this port! Aside from the proximity to Shark Ray Alley, lil San Pedro has dirt lined streets with some great restaurants, nice fishing and scenic beach bars. Real old time Caribbean feel to the place. I went back to San Pedro for a land based week of vacation after my first cruise visit.

It is just so upsetting...Belize really needs money...I was there, and it really looked kind of like a "third-world country". The people were just so nice, though. :(

It was interesting to look at the other news stories on that website from Belize, too!

That would likely be because it IS a 3rd world country.

Belize is a third world country. LOL

As of right now, it's still showing on our itinerary for the Valor sailing Feb 13th...won't bother me if it's dropped.

I don't plan on getting off the ship there, anyway. :D

So no big deal for $ 2 huh.

What if GC asked for 2 more

Than Roatan increases docking fees by 10

Cozumel does it also.

Than for the heck of it all of Carnival's food vendors say we want an increase to so suddenly a $ 700 seven day cruise is now $ 1400.

Carnival and other successful cruise lines make money while offering us cruises for a very affordable rate because they watch their costs closely.

If anyone feels the tender operators in Belize are not being paid enough they can always fork over a few bucks to the capt of their tender.

Seems to be that I could run a tender service in Belize for a lot less than $ 5 per head when dealing with as many as 10,000 passengers per day. Especially when the tenders are rather old, paid for long time ago and do not have to make much of a run back and forth to the ships.

so glad to hear this is over money and not the brutal murder!

I don't like belize. We were there last year and saw xantunich....ruins were awesome, but the rest of the excursion...meh. We also scuba dive....and like to "get out there". The whole feeling of belize is creepy. Felt like I was being watched all the time. Then i read an article that said gangs go out looking for unsuspecting tourists. As we dive all the other ports a sea day would be fine. If costa maya is the same type of place, rather stay on the boat!

On short notice, if the issue is unresolved, you'll get another Fun Day at Sea. For longer term, say 2-6 months out, you might see anothe rport added. But depending on your itinerary, it'll most likely be Grand Cayman or Costa Maya. I think Carnival Western itineraries do either GC or CM but not both at present.

Would prefer another sea day or Costa Maya since have never been there - not impressed with Belieze

Archived