Carnival ship are pulled out of Belize this week

katiecat

Look at this from Carnival's point of view. This is a 40% increase in tendering fees per ship. Also, if Carnival gives in and agrees to the 40% increase, how long before Grand Cayman demands a similar increase in tendering fees? Look for this to be settled quickly with little or no increase in tendering fees.

Carnival is making a killing on the backs of the little guy. I cannot imagine how much it costs in fuel, labor and materials to run those tenders back and forth for hours. Carnival is the big bully on the block and even after 8 Carnival cruises, this type of action and more and more ports being built and controlled by Carnival is making me rethink my cruise line of choice.

BTW I hope you don't own a taxi or a store and have Carnival tell you how much you can charge, even if you have to do it at a loss.

That won't fly with my DH.

We only booked this cruise so he can go diving in Belize. We would have chosen another ship if we knew it wasn't a go!

Sorry but it looks like he is not diving in Belize this trip.

My 2 cents--but I think it's kinda foul that Carnival is strong-arming them over $2! :eek:

Especially since it doesn't impact Carnival's bottom line at all. What do people think port fees and taxes are for? Just add it in and forget about it.

John Heald just added this to his Face Splat thingy...

so here is the official word regarding Belize. We have problems with the local tender operators and can only call on Belize with access to tenders that meet the requirements of our operation, in terms of safe, comfortable and efficient transport of our guests to/from shore, at competitive rates.

The local tender operators are in disarray and refuse to meet those requirements (which they can meet with the local tenders), so we are forced to cancel the call. In instances where we are unable to call in Belize, we will make every effort to substitute another Western Caribbean port

:)

John is paid to push the corporate line and becomes less and less believable.

WELL.....we are to be in Belize in March. I think it will be resolved by then - one way or the other. I can say it doesn't worry me much, I am just glad to be going on a cruise. I know others may have specific reasons to visit THAT port, but I would be fine with just another sea day. :D

WELL.....we are to be in Belize in March. I think it will be resolved by then - one way or the other. I can say it doesn't worry me much, I am just glad to be going on a cruise. I know others may have specific reasons to visit THAT port, but I would be fine with just another sea day. :D

We are also booked in March with a stop to Belize. We are on the March 20th sailing of the Carnival Valor. I have the same feelings as you! We will have another sea day or go to a different port if not Belize. I will not be to worried or worked up if we do not go to Belize ... I am on vacation!!

I'm on the phone with Carnival right now, asking if our Feb 20th-27t Glory cruise itinerary will be changed. She's asking her supervisor right now, I'll let you know what they say!

Prediction:

They will say that at this time the published itinerary is the one that the ship will sail.

They really cannot say anything else because they don't know when or even if the situation will be resolved.

Carnival is making a killing on the backs of the little guy. I cannot imagine how much it costs in fuel, labor and materials to run those tenders back and forth for hours. Carnival is the big bully on the block and even after 8 Carnival cruises, this type of action and more and more ports being built and controlled by Carnival is making me rethink my cruise line of choice.

BTW I hope you don't own a taxi or a store and have Carnival tell you how much you can charge, even if you have to do it at a loss.

Huh? Carnival is not making a profit on this. This is an expense to them. The tendering fee may or may not be included in the port charges. Usually the port charge is a head tax collected by the Port Authority as revenue for the Island/Country. The tender operators do not have to work for Carnival if they don't think the reimbursement is adequate. From what I read there are other issues such as tender capacity and insurance. Carnival has to take into account the safety of its passengers during tendering operations. I'm glad that Carnival is insisting on up to date tenders and adequate insurance (just in case).

Just got off the phone with a very nice and helpful Carnival rep. She spent 20 minutes looking this up with her supervisor. She said this is only for the Legend on Jan. 20th and that they are replacing their itinerary with Costa Maya. All the other ships are not affected. Yay! Can't wait to go cave tubing in Feb!

Just got off the phone with a very nice and helpful Carnival rep. She spent 20 minutes looking this up with her supervisor. She said this is only for the Legend on Jan. 20th and that they are replacing their itinerary with Costa Maya. All the other ships are not affected. Yay! Can't wait to go cave tubing in Feb!

That is the plan right now. DO understand this is subject to change depending on what goes on in the next month

Corporations do not just agree to pay any charge thrown at them. The more they charge the passengers in total the less passengers they will have.

The Belize tenders are rather old and run down and I do believe the tenders owners do very well. Strongly suspect they are owned by several rather rich people.

Would prefer they skip Belize and go to another port that has piers for the convenience and save the trouble and sometimes danger of tendering.

I do wonder how much they pay in GC for tendering?

That is the plan right now. DO understand this is subject to change depending on what goes on in the next month

I agree. We are on the Legend in March and supposed to port in Belize. I am not counting on it and will just go with the flow. It will be an adventure. My guess it will be resolved in SOME manner before I cruise, I will just wait and see what the resolution is.

For the Legend. The Dream this week already stops in Costa Maya, so we are still up for a surprise I guess. It will be like opening a birthday present........maybe.

I'm on the phone with Carnival right now, asking if our Feb 20th-27t Glory cruise itinerary will be changed. She's asking her supervisor right now, I'll let you know what they say!

I have been on th ephone with CCL for 30 mins and they have asekd two supervisors and tell me John Heald has not reported any thing, they are now checkin ghis face book page...

Seems someone doesnt know what is going on

And the local Policia walking up and down the beach area with automatic weapons made for a relaxing time.

Having spent 3 days in a Belize hospital with dd19 when she got ill on Dream a few weeks ago, I can, with all sincerity, tell you they have the same thing going on in Belize. I couldn't even walk down the front stairs of the hospital without everyone (local) warning me not to walk by myself anywhere. Guards at hospital entrances, police and military patrolling all over with machine guns. I wouldn't mind going elsewhere for our Glory cruise. (are scheduled to "hit" Belize again) I just feel sorry for the locals caught in the middle of a price war.

Okay - they changed Liberty's Western Itinerary on several of the sailings, including mine, from Cozumel, Grand Caymen and Ocho Rios to Cozumel, Grand Caymen and Belize. Granted a year out yet, but I was just getting over the shock of losing Jamaica and getting excited for Belize. Obviously, if not settled soon, looks like my itinerary will change yet again. Geez! Guess I shouldn't get excited till I board the ship!

Thought I'd fill everybody in on a news release from yesterday in Belize.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/

So raise the cruise rate $2.00 or the cost of each drink $0.01 to cover the cost.

BTW, did you see this on the same site:

"Of last year's 132 murders, the Belize district accounted for almost 90 of them - and most of those were in the city, after all, you very rarely hear about murders in rural Belize.

And that's what makes the killing of 46 year old Harris Gabourel so noteworthy; the Boston Villager was found dead in an area off the old northern highway this morning, he had been shot multiple times to the upper body."

DON

EXACTLY !!!! Too bad they didnt do this on my cruise.........i can't stand the place.

Maybe this will make the people there a little more appreciative of tourists wanting to spend money there.

I've been to Belize 3 times. Our cruise last week will be the last time I visit there. Next time, I'll just stay on the ship. It is dirty with barbed wire around the nicer homes in Belize City.

I got the survey from Carnival yesterday. Under additional comments, I mentioned my dislike of Belize. If more of us voiced our opinion to the "beards" maybe the port will be dropped.

Archived