If we don't stop in Belize, which port will substitute?

bender031177

We're on the Carnival Dream next week with a stop scheduled in Belize. Sounds like we won't be stopping Belize which is too bad because we were really looking forward to the cave tubing.

So now I'm wondering - if Carnival is able to substitute another port on short notice, which one do you think it would be? We are already stopping at Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel.

My wish would be for Calica because there are cave adventures there too :)

We're on the Carnival Dream next week with a stop scheduled in Belize. Sounds like we won't be stopping Belize which is too bad because we were really looking forward to the cave tubing.

So now I'm wondering - if Carnival is able to substitute another port on short notice, which one do you think it would be? We are already stopping at Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel.

http://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald

put your request there, any speculation on this board is futile :D

Perhaps Progreso. Overall I don't cruise for the ports but would be disappointed if that was where I was taken after planning on going to Belize.

Both Costa Maya and Progreso are possibles but it's way tough to say. I'm sure the folks in Miami are working the problem now.

I love Progreso. It's old Mexico... Cozumel from 25 years ago. I'll be there in just a few weeks and can't wait.

I'm like you, not a ports guys but Progreso is always a welcome call.

:)

I went John Heald's FB page and I don't have the option to post anything...do I have to "Like" his page to get permission to post there?

I truly wasn't looking for a definitive answer because I'm sure nobody can give me one, not even Mr. Heald. More of a curiosity - where would you like to go and why?

I've been to Grand Cayman 3 times so I'd prefer almost anywhere else :)

Plan on a sea day.

On short notice, plan on a sea day. If the issue drags on over a couple of months, you might see Gulf Coast embarkations heading for Progresso, if they don't stop there already. For East Coast/ Florida departures, I'd suspect you'd hit either Costa Maya or Grand Cayman, whichever the current itinerary doesn't stop at now. But it takes time to arrange for port arrivals with local officials, so this won't happen in the next few weeks.

I like Belize, but if the tender issue becomes undaunting it'd be nice to head for a southern Belize port like Placencia, than just skip the country entirely.

Both Costa Maya and Progreso are possibles but it's way tough to say. I'm sure the folks in Miami are working the problem now.

I love Progreso. It's old Mexico... Cozumel from 25 years ago. I'll be there in just a few weeks and can't wait.

I'm like you, not a ports guys but Progreso is always a welcome call.

:)

I also love Progreso...and would love it if both Progreso and

Calica would be the ports instead of Cozumel.

If the issue drags on over a couple of months, you might see Gulf Coast embarkations heading for Progresso, if they don't stop there already. For East Coast/ Florida departures, I'd suspect you'd hit either Costa Maya or Grand Cayman,

I am totally geographically challenged, so excuse me if this sounds dumb, but would you consider Tampa a Gulf Coast departure? My husband & I would love to end up in Progresso.

On short notice, plan on a sea day. If the issue drags on over a couple of months, you might see Gulf Coast embarkations heading for Progresso, if they don't stop there already. For East Coast/ Florida departures, I'd suspect you'd hit either Costa Maya or Grand Cayman, whichever the current itinerary doesn't stop at now. But it takes time to arrange for port arrivals with local officials, so this won't happen in the next few weeks.

Not true, they can come up with visits to different ports on a couple day's notice- when there is a hurricane, they reroute ships to the unaffected side of the carribean and they magically have a place to park the ship!

In regards to Costa Maya, CCL owns the pier, they actually own the whole area, pier and shopping area.

I will be super hacked if this is what they do to us. One big reason for booking the cruise we did was to cut the fat (i.e. "fun" days at sea). We're paying for four ports of call so we'd better get them.

We don't embark until March 6th, so surely it will be worked out by then.

-pitterpattershoppe

Plan on a sea day.

I will be super hacked if this is what they do to us. One big reason for booking the cruise we did was to cut the fat (i.e. "fun" days at sea). We're paying for four ports of call so we'd better get them.

-pitterpattershoppe

:eek:

-pitterpattershoppe

If you don't make a port, they refund the taxes. So you really wouldn't be paying for 4 ports of call.

I am totally geographically challenged, so excuse me if this sounds dumb, but would you consider Tampa a Gulf Coast departure? My husband & I would love to end up in Progresso.

Not sure, Tampa/St Pete certainly considers itself Gulf Coast. Others jus tthink of it as Florida. But other "Gulf Coast" ports are in the Central Time zone, Tampa is Eastern time.

Not true, they can come up with visits to different ports on a couple day's notice- when there is a hurricane, they reroute ships to the unaffected side of the carribean and they magically have a place to park the ship!

In regards to Costa Maya, CCL owns the pier, they actually own the whole area, pier and shopping area.

Yes that's true in emergencies where all ports may be affected, but as other here have said, Carnival typically does not shift ports on short notice due to "local" issues. Witness the "Fun Days at Sea" a couple of years ago when Roatan was having strike issues in French Harbor, despite at the time Coxen Hole was the port and no strikers were in Coxen Hole or the West End/West Bay beaches. This lasted a couple of weeks as I recall.

Archived