Recent volendam reviews worrying!

woodley

I loved the Volendam on my cruise last September... a bit noisy in our cabin area, I think due to mechanical stuff opposite, but would have no hesitation in sailing on her again. I'd just be sure to avoid booking a cabin around there (cabin 6182) again.

I recently posted that there had been no reviews for the volendam, well that has changed and its not good reading. Getting a little concerned for my first HAL cruise in November.

We were on the Volendam a little over two years ago and enjoyed the ship and itinerary. We had stateroom 1889. That was our 7th cruise and we checked the ship's deck plan and it "seemed" it was located in a quiet area since there was a "void" space across from our stateroom. The "big void" did not indicate what it was. We thought it was safe....not so.

It was the noisiest and most vibrating room ever. I went round and round with the Front desk about the problem and lack of sleep and the bed vibrating all night long and loud screeching in the early a.m. On the third morning I called the front desk and demanded someone come and listen. Two engineers in white jump suits appeared at 4:30 a.m. and said they were unsure about the problem. However, the next morning we were offered another cabin, 1824 and the move went smoothly with stewards helping us.

My husband thinks we were too close to the gangway or anchor (screeching in a.m.) and that the vacuum system for the plumbing may have been malfunctioning.

Word to the wise on any ship, especially the Volendam...do not select a stateroom opposite or too close to the "big voids" on the deck plans. Safer areas are near the stairways and elevators or where you see an inside stateroom across from your own.:o

I recently posted that there had been no reviews for the volendam, well that has changed and its not good reading. Getting a little concerned for my first HAL cruise in November.

I wouldn't go if I were you;)

Why worry about what other people say? Reviews are always subjective; what pax A calls a negative experience can be completely the opposite of what pax B feels. Don't sweat the small stuff, go find out for yourself and have a great time on VDAM!

Sailed on her last September.....had a great cruise. Not perfect, but I really was impressed. We were Dolphin deck (aft) and had no noise at all. No problems with the cabin at all.

Thought the food was really good, Pinnacle Grill was truly fantastic....service was really great. Can't remember any issues, so that says something. This is not a brand new ship, but clean and elegant, and just a nice ship. Hope you find it to be that way, too.

I had heard that the Volendam was scheduled for dry dock in April 2011.

I look forward to sailing on her next January.

Please do not be concerned about sailing on this beautiful ship.

We would be very happy to again sail on her.

She will be in dry dock beginning of April, I understand rooms are to be refurbished.

I just came back from Sydney after being on the same cruise as one of the negative reviews. My husband and I had a totally difference experience that the gentleman that plans to never sail on the Volendam again.

We knew that it was due for dry dock and that naturally the ship would be in need of some repairs. But I guess I walk around with blinders on as the only thing I noticed was that the leather chairs in the library needed new stuffing or something as they were sadly misshapped.

I also noticed that the windows were dirty. But having read Captain Albert's posting, I know it is not always possible to wash the windows in every port.

As for being badly in need of repair. The crew seemed to be everywhere cleaning and painting etc. There really is only so much that can be done without going into dry dock.

We had an upgrade to an Oceanview H. Our room was nice. There was some slight noise from the engines---but then this is a ship. And there was some noise from the dining room above us---moving chairs while probablly cleaning the floor. But again no problems for us. After all we had told HAL that we would take an upgrade---so that was our fault.

As for how expensive the shore excursions are---part of that is due to how pricey trips are to take in New Zealand. We took two trips in the Bay of Islands before the cruise and they cost $450 for the both of us. Then add the middle man and HAL's cut and you can see that they might seem expensive.

There were so many unhappy passengers (I'm joking) that the future cruise consultant was kept busy the entire cruise booking future cruises. I talked to him when we booked our future cruise and he said that many of the people booking were first time cruisers with HAL.

As for us, how can you have a bad cruise when you dine with the Captain twice.

I just came back from Sydney after being on the same cruise as one of the negative reviews. My husband and I had a totally difference experience that the gentleman that plans to never sail on the Volendam again.

We knew that it was due for dry dock and that naturally the ship would be in need of some repairs. But I guess I walk around with blinders on as the only thing I noticed was that the leather chairs in the library needed new stuffing or something as they were sadly misshapped.

I also noticed that the windows were dirty. But having read Captain Albert's posting, I know it is not always possible to wash the windows in every port.

As for being badly in need of repair. The crew seemed to be everywhere cleaning and painting etc. There really is only so much that can be done without going into dry dock.

We had an upgrade to an Oceanview H. Our room was nice. There was some slight noise from the engines---but then this is a ship. And there was some noise from the dining room above us---moving chairs while probablly cleaning the floor. But again no problems for us. After all we had told HAL that we would take an upgrade---so that was our fault.

As for how expensive the shore excursions are---part of that is due to how pricey trips are to take in New Zealand. We took two trips in the Bay of Islands before the cruise and they cost $450 for the both of us. Then add the middle man and HAL's cut and you can see that they might seem expensive.

There were so many unhappy passengers (I'm joking) that the future cruise consultant was kept busy the entire cruise booking future cruises. I talked to him when we booked our future cruise and he said that many of the people booking were first time cruisers with HAL.

As for us, how can you have a bad cruise when you dine with the Captain twice.

Thanks For your answer that was just what I was looking for, someone who had been on the cruise at the same time with a different opinion. Now it feels more balanced. We are not wanting perfection just a really good vacation that we have waited for all year.

Maybe they can give their cabin to me- I am not in it much anyway, so the noise won't bother me!

I see you are sailing on the Volendam twice this year!:rolleyes:

Yep, I am taking her to dock in Singapore, and from dock to Vancouver..

We just got home from the New Zealand Discovery and enjoyed Volendam very much. The crew was always painting, cleaning, polishing. I don't think the windows were dirty so much as maybe scratched or something ... anyway, don't plan on getting a pretty picture through the windows (dining room or crow's nest) ... go out on the deck.

The roll-up shades in the dining room didn't seem to work very well ... they were always half up or down ... maybe they'll take care of this in drydock.

We had some roll coming across the Tasman Sea and our cabin creaked continually ... all the plastic interior. I suggest bringing earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

The cabin is so spacious with so much storage! (verandah deck) We went from 15 drawers aboard ship to a hotel room with one! ... what a letdown!

Just back from 28 days on Volendam. Our first time with Holland American. We were so impressed that we were one of those who beseiged the Future Cruise Director and are booked to do it all again.

Our outside cabin on Dolphin deck was very comfortable, roomy and very clean. We didn't notice any undue noise and slept very well.:)

We recently returned from the 1/2/11 Volendam sailing and had a fabulous time! This was our 35th cruise and found it to be one of the best. Despite unpleasant weather we still thought the Volendam trip was great. The ship is a little old but she is still very nice. The only area of wear that we saw was that the teaking on the outside decks was coming apart. We were on he lower promenade deck and had no cabin complaints. The windows were clean and the cabin steward kept the room in perfect shape. The food and service were outstanding. Every meal was served hot and exactly how we ordered it. After cruising so many times we always make comparisons from previous trips and found this trip to have very few flaws. The only area we thought could use improvement was the entertainment. The evening shows were not very good. We would definately sail on HAl again and on the Volendam.

The only area we thought could use improvement was the entertainment. The evening shows were not very good. We would definately sail on HAl again and on the Volendam.

This interests me, as I'll be on the Volendam in a few weeks. Who were the entertainers? Is Annie Francis still performing on the big stage?

And how about the house entertainers? Who is playing in the Piano Lounge? And the Explorers Lounge? What did you think of them?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

The lounge entertainment was fine. The entertainment that my husband and I thought was lacking were the production shows featuring the singing/dancing group. Those shows reminded us of high school musical productions. I don't recall the names of the lounge acts.The deck party entertainment was great. I thought it was one of the more enjoyable deck partys that we've attended. We appreciated the timing of the evening shows that allowed late seating guests watch the show before dinner.

I got off last Sunday and this was my first HAL cruise after many Princess cruises. I have posted an overview on the P & O Australia board. I had a fine cruise, enjoyed the ships intimate spaces, no feeling of crowding at all. Food was delightful, lobsters large portions and well cooked. My cabin was 6205 and my family and friends had 7076 and 7078 little bit of noise twice a day as they were under the aft pool deck when the lounges were moved around. All were fine otherwise, spacious compared to the bigger ships more like a minisuite on the Diamond Princess.

Bedding was lovely. Drydock I think is March from what the crew were saying. Entertainment in Piano lounge I would have to look up but was very popular. Shows were OK, the stage is pretty small so really there is a limit to what they can do. Deck party for Australia Day was great as was the chocolate late night buffet and the speciality buffets.

There were a few minor (very minor) criticisms compared to other cruises, lack of stock in the shops, running out of Australian beer on an Australian cruise, some maintenance issues (no doubt will be fixed in dry dock) but the good and very good by far outweighed any minor things.

My husband and other family and friends absolutely loved the ship and are now converted to cruising so I don't think you have any reason to be concerned about sailing her.

The standout for me was the lovely crew, so friendly and obliging.

I fully support what "Copper 10-8" said. There was a terrible post on the Volendam a couple of years ago. Someone was on the Relocation cruise from Down Under throught the Far East and over the the North American Side. It was the most horrible review I had ever read on any ship and I was going to be on this ship for the last two full weeks of June.

When I got on the ship I found her to be the Volendam of old and I experienced non of what the poster had claimed was an everyday occurance. My experience told me that the poster was wrong and I am glad I went on the Volendam.

The entertainers we had were: Scott Davies (Magician), Paul Adams (Comedian), Jon Darsk (Pianist), Rush (Musicians, I think), James Lamont (action comedy) and Leo Ward. I don't have all my programs so I think I missed a couple.

The Piano bar was Glenn-Michael and he is very good. I don't know about the Explorer's Lounge or Ocean bar. I did hear them a few times and thought they sounded fine.

Annie Frances was on the Volendam around Xmas and I think at the moment she is on the Rotterdam.

The entertainers we had were: Scott Davies (Magician), Paul Adams (Comedian), Jon Darsk (Pianist), Rush (Musicians, I think), James Lamont (action comedy) and Leo Ward. I don't have all my programs so I think I missed a couple.

The Piano bar was Glenn-Michael and he is very good. I don't know about the Explorer's Lounge or Ocean bar. I did hear them a few times and thought they sounded fine.

Annie Frances was on the Volendam around Xmas and I think at the moment she is on the Rotterdam.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! A 5-lb box of chocolates for you!

Archived