Passports for children?

jrcruise210

Yes, passport books are a good idea for kids. You need a passport to fly back to the US in case an emergency should arise during your cruise (accident or illness of someone in your party, or the same in someone in your family back home). You need a passport to fly overseas to meet your cruise in case something prevents you from boarding as scheduled.

I'd personally not take the risk of being stranded. And beware that the passport cards do not work for air travel, they are really of limited use for those who live near the Canada or Mexico border, so passport books are what you want to get.

We got passports for our 3 kids, initially because of a trip to Mexico but we have used them on all our subsequent cruises.

You're going to get a million and one different opinions on this...well, I take that back...you are going to get two opposing opinions on this, from a million and one people :rolleyes:.

For us, the peace of mind of having a passport while outside the country (even on a closed loop cruise) is worth the cost. And in the unlikely event I win the lottery some day, it would be really awesome to pick the kids up from school and tell them we are going to Paris for dinner. :)

I would also go with the passports.

But be aware - passports for kids are for 5 years only (Pictures change so much.) They are cheaper than for adults, but not by half.

In reality, passports for kids are only good for 4 1/2 years, as many places will not accept a passport that is within 6 months of expiring.

We have had a passport for our son since he was 2. I don't understand why people stress out/make a big deal about getting one.

We went to CVS had his picture taken, showed up at our local library, on the day they were accepting appplications, handed in our paperwork and in about 2-3 weeks it arrived in the mail....

Why would anyone would want to take the chance of getting stuck in a foreign country or not being able to re-enter the US if they had to leave the cruise ship?

This is taken form the US Customs & Border Protection website:

Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," meaning they begin and end at the same port in the U.S. For instance, if you board a cruise ship at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and after visiting at least one foreign port of call, such as Bermuda, or Cancun, return back to Fort Lauderdale, you have taken a closed loop cruise.

If, on the other hand, you - say - board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise and the following information does not apply to you. As of June 1, 2009 you need a passport (including infants).

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturalization is also acceptable.)

HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement. You should always check with your cruise ship, travel agent and or destination country to confirm the requirements for entry into the foreign countries you will be visiting.[/I]

Here is another opinion that the kids should have full passports. In case of missing the ship and needing to fly to the next port or an accident or an emergency need to fly home, you all can. Instead of jumping through whatever hoops would be in your way. Or leaving Mom and the kids on the ship and only Dad flying back for the emergency at home.

If you choose to not get the kids passports--which is fine, there are no countries in the Caribbean that require them from cruise pax at this time, despite the apparent dire warning from the State Dept.--talk through the various scenarious and what-ifs with your DH and have a known plan in mind. (Who stays with the kids, who goes home/to the hospital/to the next port, who books a hotel and waits for passports to be issued, etc. etc.)

I would also go with the passports.

But be aware - passports for kids are for 5 years only (Pictures change so much.) They are cheaper than for adults, but not by half.

In reality, passports for kids are only good for 4 1/2 years, as many places will not accept a passport that is within 6 months of expiring.

Up to the age of 16 passports are good for 5 years, 16 and over they are good for 10 years just like an adult. Another thing to keep in mind is that both parents need to 'approve' the passport if the kids are under 16. That means either both going to apply or getting a notarized letter from the one that will not be there. Again, 16 and over only need 1 parent.

For the record, our kids have had passports for a number of years. My son will be 16 this year and getting his first adult passport shortly after. Timed it out so wouldn't have to get another 5 year one!

Another vote for getting them for the kids, and do it now while your 11 yr old will have it for the 5 years til s/he is 16 and needs and adult one. Both our kids have had them since they were about 3 (older one's was expiring and got the younger one hers so they would be on the same cycle--less for me to forget!) Besides using them for international travel (which has not been extensive) they are also the best form of ID for kids and we have used them for school stuff, sports/camp registration etc. No one seems to question passports.

Yes, get the passport. Another reason, is for "show and tell", get it stamped at ports of call.

But y'all got me thinking, my child's expires next year, at age 10, so she will have another 5 year passport, age 15, so will have to renew at age 20. I just did not time the age right. Bummer.

I agree passports are a good idea, it after all is the ultimate ID.

FWIW I haven't seen anywhere where they stamp for ports. Immigration in many countries coming in airports yes, ports almost always just need your cruise card and you are good.

Yes, get the passport. Another reason, is for "show and tell", get it stamped at ports of call.

But y'all got me thinking, my child's expires next year, at age 10, so she will have another 5 year passport, age 15, so will have to renew at age 20. I just did not time the age right. Bummer.

We just got back from our cruise with DS (who is 17 months) and did not have a passport for him. While we didn't have any problems at all, next time we travel we will be getting him a passport. When we disembarked and checked in through customs the customs agent said "Next time, do us all a favor and get your son a passport. His birth certificate is just a piece of paper and will not help you if there was an emergency and you had to fly back to the US." He was very matter of fact about it (not rude but wanted to make his point). I knew this going in to our vacation but next time will just budget getting a passport into our vacation budget.

It does seem a little expensive for a 3 and 4 year old. The birth certificates cost nothing as we already have them. I understand the emergency notation. I guess I'll have to think about it. If they were going to cruise again within the next 5 years, maybe.

Nancy

We have had a passport for our son since he was 2. I don't understand why people stress out/make a big deal about getting one.

We went to CVS had his picture taken, showed up at our local library, on the day they were accepting appplications, handed in our paperwork and in about 2-3 weeks it arrived in the mail....

/I]

This is what we did when we renewed ours last year, and it was easy and quick.

However, I just learned yesterday when investigating whether our 14-month-old GS will need a passport that you can also apply at our local post offices every day from 11 til 4. I'm probably the last person in the country to learn this, but on the chance that I'm not, I thought I'd mention it. This may also be true where you live.

This is what we did when we renewed ours last year, and it was easy and quick.

However, I just learned yesterday when investigating whether our 14-month-old GS will need a passport that you can also apply at our local post offices every day from 11 til 4. I'm probably the last person in the country to learn this, but on the chance that I'm not, I thought I'd mention it. This may also be true where you live.

The only caution with going to the post office, a lot of them (especially the smaller branches) do require you to schedule your appointment. Its not just a show up and take care of it.

We didn't have them for our kids in October. But I decided then that we would have them for the next cruise. We applied for them on December 28 and had them in our hands 3 weeks later. I just feel more comfortable having them "just in case..."

I'm another vote for get them! Better to have it just in case...plus I find it is easier, than handing over a bunch of documents that people fumble through and have to inspect closely, etc. Passport is so easily accepted.

DS is only 6 weeks old in his photo!

We will be getting a passport book for our 6 month old. Our last cruise was in 2008 and DH got his passport especially for the trip. It made it much easier at immigration/customs, compared to our first cruise when he brought his birth certificate. I have had a passport and used it on both of our previous cruises.

We considered getting just a passport card for the baby because it's cheaper and we could be taking land-based trips to Ontario or Quebec in the future (we're a 5 hour drive from Montreal). A passport book is an all-purpose document and a passport card is really intended for residents close to the border who will be making frequent land crossings. However, I don't like the idea of being in another country and being unable to fly home with her if necessary.

We've never had our passports stamped on a cruise. DH was actually bummed that he has a stamp-less passport. :D Mine does have stamps because I've used it for international travel for work.

Of course it's better to get kids their own passports. No argument there. But, it some cases, it might be cost prohibitive and difficult.

We recently took 7 (yes 7!) grandkids on a cruise, sans parents, using birth certificates and parental permission forms. It was difficult enough getting all that paperwork together, but, due to circumstances of a couple of the children having birth parents who are difficult to impossible to contact, getting passports would have been even more difficult. Also, for us, cost for seven passports was a factor. And, it's quite possible they would not have needed them again within the five year expiration date.

With only a couple of kids and no custody/missing parent problems, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We got along fine with our paperwork, but, of course, there is a faint but possible chance of having to fly home because of some emergency, in which case we would have had some difficulties. Luckily, all went well, but you never know.

I would like to add that they did check the parental permission forms very carefully at check-in, matching up kids, birth certificates and permission forms. I bet everyone behind us in line was ready to murder us! They also checked them carefully at the kids club sign up and for each activity the kids wanted to do that required a waiver (rock climbing, ice skating, etc.) They also check them at customs on debarkation, though less carefully. So, don't go without!

I am fairly sure that we 'might' have gotten by without the permission forms by pretending to be the kids' parents (we were mistaken for the parents quite often), but I would not do that or chance it.

I think passports are a must..But not everyone does a lot of traveling.

My daughter is working on getting my DGS his he is only 3 mths but my DH and I are taking him to mexico in april and his parents are doing a transalantic in Nov with him. So he really needs one.:)

My husband & I have passports, but our children (9 & 11) do not... Although passports are not required for Caribbean travel via cruise ship, do you think it's a good idea? Would love to hear other family's opinions!

Your children should have passports for the same reason you do.

Archived