What is the dress code on Silversea?

Boarcephus

Sorry to thread jack, but perhaps Silversea should actually change the name to Silverseas. I've never heard any other cruise line or airline suffer from so much mispronunciation. My husband will never get it right! They do sail multiple seas, so I guess this makes sense for some people. In the meantime, it is Silversea!

Don't feel sorry about hijacking. Anything for relief in a clothing thread is quite welcome. :)

• 2 months later...
Dear friends:

I find it quite acceptable to board in jeans in any port, and even board in shorts in the Caribbean or in the Mediterranean in the heat of August.

What about a woman wearing a bikini around the swimming pool. Is that also a no-no?

Do we really need to get bent out of shape if a man chooses not to wear a tie as long as he looks respectable as far as the rest of his clothes are concerned?

Remember, except for certain rules, such as no flip-flops, baseball caps, shorts, jeans in the dining room at night, the rest of the guidelines are mere SUGGESTIONS.

The other comment above about Silversea ships sailing full is misleading. Yes, the ships are sailing full -- with travel agents, Silversea employees, and last minute passengers paying the Venetian Value rates (the latter I admit includes myself on my last few cruises).

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

You seem to be very knowledgeable on Silversea and the expectations. My husband and I are younger ( early 50's) and have always dressed smart casual. We both worked in the oil and gas industry..with professional designations.

Jeans are a part of my wardrobe...along with leggings and boots. I am not the "ugly North American" who is 100 pounds overweight and we take care of ourselves. ( no offense to overweight people...but we have all seen the Walmart photos)

I do not own a gown...and any dresses I own are for weddings and funerals. ( which can be for formal night I assume?)

Will I feel out of place due to our ages and wearing dress pants and shirt ( husband). I will wear leggings and an appropriate top with boots. No cleavage...just trendy and not my mothers clothes.

Everything I see seems to focus on mens attire. I hate to over pack and because we are on a "colder" cruise to Newfoundland...layers and sweaters will be the bulk of our luggage.

I guess I am looking for how twisted people get...but maybe it depends on where the cruise is going? I want to enjoy the scenery, get some good hiking in, eats some fabulous food and just enjoy. I don't want to feel like the odd kid in the playground that everyone points at...this is a vacation and not the New York fashion police ( I hope!)

Thank you for any insight you can give me...would really appreciate it. I am fearing packing!

You seem to be very knowledgeable on Silversea and the expectations. My husband and I are younger ( early 50's) and have always dressed smart casual. We both worked in the oil and gas industry..with professional designations.

Jeans are a part of my wardrobe...along with leggings and boots. I am not the "ugly North American" who is 100 pounds overweight and we take care of ourselves. ( no offense to overweight people...but we have all seen the Walmart photos)

I do not own a gown...and any dresses I own are for weddings and funerals. ( which can be for formal night I assume?)

Will I feel out of place due to our ages and wearing dress pants and shirt ( husband). I will wear leggings and an appropriate top with boots. No cleavage...just trendy and not my mothers clothes.

Everything I see seems to focus on mens attire. I hate to over pack and because we are on a "colder" cruise to Newfoundland...layers and sweaters will be the bulk of our luggage.

I guess I am looking for how twisted people get...but maybe it depends on where the cruise is going? I want to enjoy the scenery, get some good hiking in, eats some fabulous food and just enjoy. I don't want to feel like the odd kid in the playground that everyone points at...this is a vacation and not the New York fashion police ( I hope!)

Thank you for any insight you can give me...would really appreciate it. I am fearing packing!

Hi, I just returned from my first Silvesea cruise:)........I have a review going on.........

As for dress code, I wore shorts and tops every day.....we were on a very port intensive cruise and it was hot out.

If you want to wear jeans, they are fine. I did not pack any at all. Evenings I just wore mostly black pants...several

different styles/materials but black.....and different tops. One evening I did wear a long black skirt though...more of

a casual style. I don't own any "formal gowns" and did not feel out of place at all. Formal night I wore a dressy pair

slacks.....they are black with gold flecks running throughout the material.....a jersey knit.....with a very pretty top that

had gold embroidery across the neckline.

If you are going on a "cold itinerary".......pack those jeans, long sleeves and layer.....that sounds perfect to me for

the daytime:)....Oh, I am 59 (if that helps).