smoking question

joandian

I'm extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke as well as the stale smell left behind. You know that smell that gets into everything when exposed to smoking?

If I understand correctly, smoking inside is to be/has been banned, but I've read a few blogs written by people who have just returned from Barcelona who said that every where they went, the city reeked of cigarette smoke and they could smell it on their clothes when they returned to their hotels.

So this has started to worry me a little since we have 4 days pre-cruise in BCN. Can anyone give me any additional info? Has smoking been/is smoking allowed in taxis, the metro or say the HOHO buses? Have you noticed the stale cigarette smoke smell?

Please, this isn't an anti-smoking post, I really just need the info so I know how to protect myself and plan accordingly.

Jo

I have asthma so smoke is really bad for me!

I did not have trouble in Barcelona even before this latest smoking ban. I did not notice any smoke issues on the metro or on buses. There was some smoke in outdoor patios of restaurants but one could just move so the smoke didn't come near.

Other than that I had NO issues at all. Now that there is no smoking allowed in restaurants there will be even less of a problem so I would just go and enjoy yourself.

I am not sure where these blogs are located that you have been reading???

Interesting that different folks have different experiences.

I WILL tell you that I don't stay on Las Ramblas because that whole area is tourist central to me!

It may be that in more upper class areas you would not find store clerks smoking??Not sure. We went into the big department store right at Placa Catalunya(main square) and none of that was going on there.

I had more trouble in Rome with smoke and diesel fuel smell from cars and trucks. It will be interesting to hear about your own experiences when you return.

Thanks for posting about your experience. Here is one of the blogs, I can't seem to find the other one right now.

Jo

Did you notice that the date of her posting re this blog was 2004???? A lot has changed in Europe since then regarding smoking so something more than a year old I would not even bother with.Just an FYI.

Did you notice that the date of her posting re this blog was 2004???? A lot has changed in Europe since then regarding smoking so something more than a year old I would not even bother with.Just an FYI.

kind of important since new stronger smoking regulations just went into place this month. no smoking is allowed in bars, clubs, restaurants, or even hotels. as a non-smoker, spain is the least of my concerns.

She has been a member of CC since 2004, but this was posted yesterday about the Dec 5, 2010 cruise and her stay in BCN. I apologise for using the wrong word, this is a post in the RCI forum and not the blog that I had also read. I can't seem to find the blog.

I know about the new laws, but wouldn't that suggest there will be more people smoking outside? So it would be possible to still pick up smoke smells? To be honest, I suffer anaphylaxis if I'm exposed to cigarette smoke or the stale smell for more than a few minutes. This is why I am worried. If the smell gets in my clothes or my husbands, it can make me very sick. I am very proactive in protecting myself and still travel a great deal, but I try to be prepared as I can before I visit anywhere new, which is why I'm asking for others experiences.

riffatsea - thanks for your reply!

Jo

Sorry for my error,but even if she posted in 2010 I really cannot imagine all the smell of smoke.I have been to BCN quite a few times even when one could smoke up a storm and never had it in my clothes. If you are so allergic then I would go fully prepared for smoke to be on the safe side.You may find smoking and the smell in other places other than BCN where they are not as many rules.

I'm extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke as well as the stale smell left behind. You know that smell that gets into everything when exposed to smoking?

If I understand correctly, smoking inside is to be/has been banned, but I've read a few blogs written by people who have just returned from Barcelona who said that every where they went, the city reeked of cigarette smoke and they could smell it on their clothes when they returned to their hotels.

So this has started to worry me a little since we have 4 days pre-cruise in BCN. Can anyone give me any additional info? Has smoking been/is smoking allowed in taxis, the metro or say the HOHO buses? Have you noticed the stale cigarette smoke smell?

Please, this isn't an anti-smoking post, I really just need the info so I know how to protect myself and plan accordingly.

Jo

Jan 1st 2011 was the ban, so unless the reports were VERY recent; it's not an accurate representation of what the status is right now

Dear friends:

Greetings from Madrid. For about the last five years, there has been no smoking in most public places. Restaurants 100 m2 or less could declare themselves totally smoking or totally non-smoking. Larger restaurants either had to declare themselves totally non-smoking or build a hermetically sealed and separated smoking section which could be not more than 30% of the entire seatable space.

However, there was still smoking in bars and, yes, when you went out at night for a drink you came home with your clothes smelling of smoke.

In the above case, the law was enacted by the Central Government but enforcement was left to each one of the "autonomous communities" (similar to the 50 U.S. states). Sometimes the authorities looked the other way, and people continued to smoke in some restaurants not properly set up for smoking.

The new law that just went into effect on January 2, 2011, now virtually prohibits smoking in all public places. No smoking at all in restaurants, bars, or virtually anyplace.

This time around, the law was enacted with a broad consensus by all political parties, and all of the Spanish "states" (autonomous communities) have promised to enforce it.

It is now a pleasure to go out at night and NOT come home with your clothes smelling of smoke.

There are some anecdotal cases in the news lately about rebellious bar and restaurant owners still allowing their customers to smoke. However, this time around it is definitely the minority and Spain now has one of the toughest non-smoking laws in all of Europe.

However, because I am very direct and never hold back what I am thinking, I will now say something that may cause some of you to flame me. So be it.

That is, I find it very ironic that it is usually our friends the Americans across the pond who are so uptight and paranoid about cigarette smoke, yet the only reason cigarettes are still legal is because all of the tobacco companies are mostly from the United States and nobody has the guts to make it illegal and take away some U.S. jobs in North Carolina.

I bet that if cigarettes came from Colombia, Bolivia or Peru, they would have been banned and made illegal decades ago.

Anyway, please enjoy your travels in our new, non-smoking Spain.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I just didn't even notice (this past July) an inordinate amount of smoking even outside in Barcleona. We walked into a very local type (meaning no tourist and hardly any english spoken) of breakfast place where smoking was allowed. We couldn't deal with the smoke and found another place a block away. That was the only incident where I even thought about it.

Gunther and everyone, thanks for the information.

I admit that yes, I love it when cities are non-smoking because I have less to worry about. There are now many cities and counties in the US who have banned cigarette smoking in public areas and Houston is one of them and I am very pleased about that.

Oh, and I guess you aren't taking about me anyway since I'm an Aussie living here because of my husbands work transfer :D We've had non-smoking in public places for years back there.

Seriously now, no flames from me! Thanks again.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

I just get frustrated sometimes when it is so obvious that society has a double standard.

We don't want the smoke, but at the same time we don't want to lose those high tax revenues and send people to the unemployment line.

Let me know if you need any further help or information about Spain.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Jo

Hi Jo,

My husband and I were just in Barcelona pre and post cruise for a week. It was probably one of our most favorite places yet! I didn't notice cigarette smoke? We absolutely loved every moment, I do alot of research before going on any of of our cruises, when you arrive at the airport, if your hotel does not have a free shuttle, then you can use the subway, very easy to use ask your hotel what stop to get off at. Taxis SUPER EXPENSIVE! subway like 1.40eur.one way:) so many folks were willing to help us too. However, don't just get on a subway cause its there(like we did) read the sign first and listen!) No one spoke english.Also while your there try the bus, called Hop on hop off bus! Awesome!!

jcharlotte

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/

Archived