RC Dress Code?

HJK001

Well, since I started this whole thing, I should chime in. It's not like my husband and brother will be wearing jeans and their Earnhardt shirts. We're classier than that! I've been on many cruises where the dining room had "suggested attire", but no one followed it.

In a time where luggage is expensive to check, and with two kids in tow, I'm trying to minimize my tendency to overpack. Just thought that maybe the guys could get by with a button-down shirt and slacks as they have on other cruises and forego the sport coat. They will wear one if necessary, so that's why I'm checking. Every cruise line is different. HAL was dressier; Disney was 1/2 and 1/2 and Carnival cruisers tended to be more casual than anyone.

I didn't realize we would appear as "red-headed stepchildren" if they checked their coats at the door. Thanks for all the input!

(And if our family is seated next to anyone who is in a tux and sequins...I apologize in advance that we're ruining your evening!):cool:

A vacation is supposed to be enjoyable, fun and relaxing. Some of the comments posted, don't pay attention to them. This is a debate that has been going on for ages and people tend to take things a little too personally.

Me, I'm like you. I'm a single mom and I take my boys on cruises every year. It's easier for me to bring one piece of luggage for each of us. Which means, I don't bring suits or tuxes for them and I don't bring ballgowns for myself. It's too difficult to maneuver in crowds at airports and ports. With that said, I am respectful enough to wear a dress and my children wear dress shirts and slacks. If anyone has a problem with us wearing this, they are more than happy to address it to me in person.

People forget that sometimes it's not about NOT wanting to bring formal attire onboard. Sometimes you just can't.

People forget that sometimes it's not about NOT wanting to bring formal attire onboard. Sometimes you just can't.
I guess I must be in that category. I forget that sometimes you can't bring formal attire. Why is that again? Because it's easier for you not to?

My husband has two suits which are actually "separates", sort of...jacket and pants by Haggar. He bought them a few years ago and the two suits together were less than $125. It is possible to get a nice well-fitting suit for considerably less than "a few hundred dollars". I have gone to consignment shops on a few occasoins and have gotten beautiful outfits for men and women for a fraction of their original cost. Again much less than " a few hundred dollars". You have to check out all the options available.

Yes, there are less expensive options for everything. But, if you want to buy a suit that lasts, $125 isn't going to cut it. Usually Men's Warehouse has some good deals - I did not (and would not) buy my suit for vacation. I bought it for interviews. It cost me a lot of money, but it's nice, sharp and has lasted 6 years and I have a job now lol. Oh, and a suit for vacation :D

To each their own, someone just asked a question and I provided an answer.

I guess I must be in that category. I forget that sometimes you can't bring formal attire. Why is that again? Because it's easier for you not to?

For me, it's just too hard to move around 3 large suitcases. We bring the smaller suitcases (carry-on), because it's easier to handle for my boys (13 & 6). Perhaps when they are older, this will change. But for now, we dress up, just not to the point of formal.

For me, it's just too hard to move around 3 large suitcases. We bring the smaller suitcases (carry-on), because it's easier to handle for my boys (13 & 6). Perhaps when they are older, this will change. But for now, we dress up, just not to the point of formal.

I get that it's easier for you, I'm just pointing out that it's an exaggeration to say that you "can't" bring formalwear. People tend to exaggerate a lot on both sides of the controversial topics here.

I've been reading on the RC site about formal nights. Do the men in my family REALLY need a suit? I will never get my husband or brother in much more than a nice shirt and slacks. Would they be denied entry to the regular dining room if they don't have a tie/coat?

Thanks!!

Let's just be honest: Although RCL prints recommendations for each night's MDR attire, no one is turned away for any reason any longer. The staff is too concerned about tips to enforce any rules (even those posted at the doors to the MDR.) If people can wear ball caps, jeans and t-shirts on Thanksgiving Day formal night and not be called out then you can obviously wear anything you want anytime you want in the MDR at dinner.

Meals in the Windjammer and breakfast and lunch in the MDR are a different story. In those venues there is a staff member who could care less about your tips and is more than happy to send you back to your cabin for a shirt with sleeves, a cover up (if only in your bathing suit), shoes, etc.

I get that it's easier for you, I'm just pointing out that it's an exaggeration to say that you "can't" bring formalwear. People tend to exaggerate a lot on both sides of the controversial topics here.

Of course. It wouldn't be a forum if people "can't" complain. Perhaps a different word is in order. Change "can't" to "prefer not to" then for the reason why I don't bring formalwear on board.

People keep refering to tuxes, formal attire, formal wear. It's not required. A jacket and tie is all you need extra and hopefully you have already packed a pair of long pants and closed toe shoes. No room in your bags? Try ship rental tux, an expense added to our cruise tickets so you can look nice on formal night. The majority don't have an excuse.

The thing that gets me is we (we being the people who cruise and pay thousands of dollars to do so) are paying extra for these ships to provide an alternate place for the causal dressers to eat (The Lido, The Windjammer,etc) and yet they refuse to do so.

So either enforce the suggestions/requirements/rules/recommendations or do away with the expensive alternate dining provided for these tightwads (yeap, I said it) so the cruise line can lower everybodies cruise ticket prices. The cruise lines have bent over backwards trying to slove the issue of formal nights and with dozens of changes over the years to ease it up a lot for those that don't like tuxes it's those few that dont' keep it real that cost the rest of us. Let's talk about waste of food and our money for those that don't understand the word "formal". I'm for lower cruise prices so I can cruise more often.

Of course. It wouldn't be a forum if people "can't" complain. Perhaps a different word is in order. Change "can't" to "prefer not to" then for the reason why I don't bring formalwear on board.

Thanks! Now, for my purposes, I have changed your quote to: :D

People forget that sometimes it's not about NOT wanting to bring formal attire onboard. Sometimes you just prefer not to.

So by now the OP already knows that no, her 'men' won't be barred fromt he MDR if they don't wear a suit and tie. And how most feel about it.

Now for the OP, ask yourself how much will your men care if they are the only ones (or 2 of a minority) who didn't make an effort of some sort?

If you can get them into long slacks, not jeans or shorts, and a dress shirt- and dare i say it tie- but no jacket then you are on to a winner.

My 3 teen boys aren't big on dressing up but were happy to wear suits on this one occasion as they thought it was all part of the 'fun'. I am not big on dresses, esp full length ones, but I wore 2 for our 2 formal nights. Normally I can't get them out of Jeans and nikes lol. I am usually met with "oh mom do I have too?????????????????"

I am so glad my family isn't on cruise critic! They don't realize that suits and tuxes are not mandatory! I just love seeing the three men in my life (2 sons and my husband) dressed up for formal night.

As an aside, I am prepared to enforce the "no suit, no cruise" rule if it becomes necessary!

However, I really don't care what anyone else wears. We've never been seated with or near people that didn't make some effort for formal night.

As an aside, I am prepared to enforce the "no suit, no cruise" rule if it becomes necessary!.

I think if I tried to enforce that rule in my household, I'd be left behind while DH and DS had a lovely time without me.:p

We've never been seated with or near people that didn't make some effort for formal night.

All kidding aside, this thread has evolved into a discussion to define what constitutes "some effort" of dress on formal night. Is anything less than a tuxe acceptable? or Will the hawaiian shirt with linen pants be okay?

My response is and will always continue to be, wear what you are comfortable wearing as long as its clean, pressed, and looks good.

I will not nag DH into buying a new suit for a vacation; his dress shirt and dress slacks (work clothes) are just fine with me. I'd rather have him spend the couple hundred he would've spent on a suit on my dress :)

All kidding aside, this thread has evolved into a discussion to define what constitutes "some effort" of dress on formal night. Is anything less than a tuxe acceptable? or Will the hawaiian shirt with linen pants be okay?

Just like we have made a decision based on what is best for our family, I do think everyone else has the right to do the same. My kids need dress clothes for other activities and events. So it doesn't require a special purchase.

It would probably bother me if I was seated next to a man wearing a tank top, shorts and a baseball cap (more the cap and tank top since I wouldn't have to look at the shorts). On the other hand, Hawaiian shirt and linen pants wouldn't bother me in the least...if I even noticed.

I believe that it is always better to be overdressed than underdressed and that is what I teach my kids. I completely understand that everyone doesn't agree.

People keep refering to tuxes, formal attire, formal wear. It's not required. A jacket and tie is all you need extra and hopefully you have already packed a pair of long pants and closed toe shoes. No room in your bags? Try ship rental tux, an expense added to our cruise tickets so you can look nice on formal night. The majority don't have an excuse.

The thing that gets me is we (we being the people who cruise and pay thousands of dollars to do so) are paying extra for these ships to provide an alternate place for the causal dressers to eat (The Lido, The Windjammer,etc) and yet they refuse to do so.

So either enforce the suggestions/requirements/rules/recommendations or do away with the expensive alternate dining provided for these tightwads (yeap, I said it) so the cruise line can lower everybodies cruise ticket prices. The cruise lines have bent over backwards trying to slove the issue of formal nights and with dozens of changes over the years to ease it up a lot for those that don't like tuxes it's those few that dont' keep it real that cost the rest of us. Let's talk about waste of food and our money for those that don't understand the word "formal". I'm for lower cruise prices so I can cruise more often.

Yikes :eek: !!..Here you go again !!..Do you really think that if everyone would agreed to an addendum of their "Cruise Ticket Contract" mandating "Formal" wear, cruise prices would go down ? :rolleyes:...The cruise line isn't "bending" over backward...They are going with what the majority of their cruisers want on vacation (Choices & Options)..That's "keeping" it real...After reading your "many pot stirring" posts..It's evident that your dining experience on RCI is being drastically diminished and impacted..Perhaps it's time for you to move on to another cruiseline and enjoy a more formal cruise atmosphere..Enjoy which ever of these can offer you the cruise experience you desire...:)

Ok Ok , so now i'm totally confused at what is classed right for formal nights, does a jacket, tie and shirt class as formal ? Nothing has been said about ladies formal wear, or childrens clothes for that matter, i will be sailing with my wife and 2 boys, 7 and 4 in july so what to do. As we live in Mallorca , Spain, we do not posses much formal wear as spanish weather is very warm (and very hot in summer) so dressy shorts and short sleeve shirts are mostly worn here. Like i said i do own a jacket, but its not to a suit. Although we live in spain we are from the Uk originally, and i always wore suits to work......not now, as you don't see many gardeners cutting the grass.....lol

(ps i wasn't a gardener in England if your wondering :D )

Just like we have made a decision based on what is best for our family, I do think everyone else has the right to do the same. My kids need dress clothes for other activities and events. So it doesn't require a special purchase.

It would probably bother me if I was seated next to a man wearing a tank top, shorts and a baseball cap (more the cap and tank top since I wouldn't have to look at the shorts). On the other hand, Hawaiian shirt and linen pants wouldn't bother me in the least...if I even noticed.

I believe that it is always better to be overdressed than underdressed and that is what I teach my kids. I completely understand that everyone doesn't agree.

I actually think that they will not allow someone in a tank top!! I think that crosses the line. The only thing that bothers me are hats, other than that if someone wore jeans and a decent collared shirt - good enough for me.

Ok Ok , so now i'm totally confused at what is classed right for formal nights, does a jacket, tie and shirt class as formal ? Nothing has been said about ladies formal wear, or childrens clothes for that matter, i will be sailing with my wife and 2 boys, 7 and 4 in july so what to do. As we live in Mallorca , Spain, we do not posses much formal wear as spanish weather is very warm (and very hot in summer) so dressy shorts and short sleeve shirts are mostly worn here. Like i said i do own a jacket, but its not to a suit. Although we live in spain we are from the Uk originally, and i always wore suits to work......not now, as you don't see many gardeners cutting the grass.....lol

(ps i wasn't a gardener in England if your wondering :D )

Jacket ,shirt and tie will pass on formal night.

Ladies generally wear cocktail dresses and some will wear gowns.

Young children can get away with wearing "dress" shorts, though most I see do have trousers and a dressier shirt on.

First I'd like to say that the way I read it F5Loar's statement was not intended to offend or demean those who do not dress for formal nights or red heads. I read it as a commonly used analogy for someone who stands out noticibly in a given situation.

I really enjoy wearing my tux on formal nights. It's actually part of what I look forward to when I cruise. It makes the night special and is also a great opportunity for a formal photo ;). I've cruised several times on Cunard where the formal dress suggestion is widely adhered to. Fewer participated on the Freedom but atleast 3/4 did.

I agree with the posters above that I could really care less what others wear or don't wear but I also agree with the posters that feel that one should respect the level of dress/atmosphere/ambiance suggested for certain dinning venues on a couple special nights. There are many other (free) venues available with the atmosphere to match everyone's desired style of dress.

As I said, I love to wear my tux on cruises and I always order a martini...shaken not stirred!

First I'd like to say that the way I read it F5Loar's statement was not intended to offend or demean those who do not dress for formal nights or red heads. I read it as a commonly used analogy for someone who stands out noticibly in a given situation.

I really enjoy wearing my tux on formal nights. It's actually part of what I look forward to when I cruise. It makes the night special and is also a great opportunity for a formal photo ;). I've cruised several times on Cunard where the formal dress suggestion is widely adhered to. Fewer participated on the Freedom but atleast 3/4 did.

I agree with the posters above that I could really care less what others wear or don't wear but I also agree with the posters that feel that one should respect the level of dress/atmosphere/ambiance suggested for certain dinning venues on a couple special nights. There are many other (free) venues available with the atmosphere to match everyone's desired style of dress.

As I said, I love to wear my tux on cruises and I always order a martini...shaken not stirred!

I wore a tux once and it was fun... airline lost luggage so RCI hooked it up! No martini though... I "kept it real" with a beer ;)

Okay in keeping with CC protocall these dress code threads have to keep going until someone locks them out. So I'll keep it going a while longer. My point is the formal night casual dressers are not using the Lido buffet which is provided as that choice for those that don't want to get dressed. Instead they would rather bring their casual dress to a formal dinner so why have it? I'm not down on these dress code busters. I hate seeing waste and they are the cause of the waste. So since they are coming in MDR anyway close down the buffet and save all that money. I know you got those few who never enter the MDR cause they don't won't to leave the tip and prefer the "all you can eat" buffet but that's only and few. And from what I have experienced in the MDR it's pretty much "all you can eat" if you keep ordering. Many times I would order 2 appetizers , 3 soups, a salad, 2 main entres and 2 deserts. That's all I can eat. Actually my last week on the Oasis was a surpise to see so many follow the formal night dress code. More then I've seen in a long time. That has a lot to do with the type people that cruised my week which I've already mentioned. Another reason the Oasis/Allure attract a "better" cruiser is these ships demand a higher price then many of the other RCI ships. Those "bubba" cruisers just ain't paying that high a price to cruise.

So by now the OP already knows that no, her 'men' won't be barred fromt he MDR if they don't wear a suit and tie. And how most feel about it.

Now for the OP, ask yourself how much will your men care if they are the only ones (or 2 of a minority) who didn't make an effort of some sort?

If you can get them into long slacks, not jeans or shorts, and a dress shirt- and dare i say it tie- but no jacket then you are on to a winner.

Thanks for your response!!

The dress pants, button down shirts and ties are packed. Husband left his suit coat in the suitcase. Brother doesn't own one and doesn't care to. All is in perspective now. My grandmother passed away two nights ago, so before we depart for the cruise, we're heading to the funeral. All the grandsons are wearing ties/dress pants, but no suit coats. Her request. I guess if it's good enough for grandma's funeral, it's going to be good enough for RCL. ;)

The dress pants, button down shirts and ties are packed. Husband left his suit coat in the suitcase. Brother doesn't own one and doesn't care to. All is in perspective now. My grandmother passed away two nights ago, so before we depart for the cruise, we're heading to the funeral. All the grandsons are wearing ties/dress pants, but no suit coats. Her request. I guess if it's good enough for grandma's funeral, it's going to be good enough for RCL. ;)

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.:(. My blessings go out to you and your family. Im sure you all will look great on the cruise. Now just go and enjoy yourselves.:)

Love it! Game. Set. Match.

Archived