RC Dress Code?

HJK001

I've been reading on the RC site about formal nights. Do the men in my family REALLY need a suit? I will never get my husband or brother in much more than a nice shirt and slacks. Would they be denied entry to the regular dining room if they don't have a tie/coat?

Thanks!!

I've been reading on the RC site about formal nights. Do the men in my family REALLY need a suit? I will never get my husband or brother in much more than a nice shirt and slacks. Would they be denied entry to the regular dining room if they don't have a tie/coat?

Thanks!!

A nice shirt and slacks will be fine. Enjoy your cruise!

I'm new to this also, but, seems a tux or suit and tie are prefered and nice pants and shirt are prefered on smart casual nights.

I'm getting a little confused and anxious about his also, I'm not a suit and tie type of guy, but, the wife likes to dress me up:rolleyes: There is a big swing in dress attire though it seems. I remember someone on this board, wife and hubby dressed to the 9's and got seated with a guy with Metallica T and ripped jeans. I'll just be wearing a regular suit on Formal and dress pants and shirt on smart casual. Maybe I'll just streak on casual night! :D Hey, I'm on holidays! :-)

Thanks!!

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I would suggest the Windjammer.

Thanks!!

They will be fine. It's more dressed down than dressed up these days. They certainly will not be denied entry to the MDR.

The OP asked a question and the TRUTH is that a nice shirt and slacks will be fine for them to enter the MDR on Formal Nights.

Suit and tie or Tux are SUGGESTED by the cruise line for formal nights but not required for entry.

I was on a cruise on RCL 8 days ago. I actually looked at the sign before entering the MDR. I was surprised at how UNrestrictive the dress code had become.

I myself wore a nice dress every night of my 7 night voyage. As to what others wore.....well to be honest I really didn't notice.

Thanks!!

On my three RCI cruises on formal night I only a nice pair of slacks and a very nice shirt. Never had a problem on any of my cruises on RCI or my 2 carnival cruises.

Just back from the Oasis and on our first seating on Deck 4 it was a good 95% did dress to code in either tuxes or suits or jackets with ties and long pants. That 5% that didn't sure stuck out like a sore thumb or as we say in the south " a red headed step child at a family reunion". Like it or not people do notice. Is it right or wrong to dress different then from what you were asked? Can't answer that one but they did ask you nicely what you should wear. I see no reason to do different. Hard to argue with that. Bottom line is they expect it. Othewise they would not offer another free place for you to dine on formal nights for casual dress. But you can lead a horse to water, you can't make him drink it and I guess that is why RCI does not enforce their own dress codes.

American culture has reached unprecedented levels of sloppy dress. I'm a rather casual dresser, but I appreciate that there are still establishments that require (or at least "suggest") a tux, suit, or jacket and tie for dinner. People are free to eat there or choose a less formal venue if they cannot bring themselves to wear something nicer than jeans or even slacks and a dress shirt. But please don't force your own lazy dressing habits on the establishment, whether it be the MDR on a cruise ship or a nice restaurant or club ashore. If you must dress down, choose a casual place for dinner or another, less formal cruise line.

Why do I get the sense that the guys who show up on formal night with no jacket might be some of the same ones who try to bring their own alcohol aboard, skip the muster drill, bring young children to the Chef's Table, or sleep with their balcony doors propped open? "I'm on vacation, so I can do whatever I want."

Just back from the Oasis and on our first seating on Deck 4 it was a good 95% did dress to code in either tuxes or suits or jackets with ties and long pants. That 5% that didn't sure stuck out like a sore thumb or as we say in the south " a red headed step child at a family reunion". Like it or not people do notice. Is it right or wrong to dress different then from what you were asked? Can't answer that one but they did ask you nicely what you should wear. I see no reason to do different. Hard to argue with that. Bottom line is they expect it. Othewise they would not offer another free place for you to dine on formal nights for casual dress. But you can lead a horse to water, you can't make him drink it and I guess that is why RCI does not enforce their own dress codes.

I'm originaly from the "South" and believe me there can be a lot worse than red headed "stepchildren" at a southern family reunion:mad:!! No one should ever be made to feel out of place..What happened to "Southern Hospitality"? I for one never leave it on shore when I get onboard....I will dine with that 5% and will probably have some of the greatest dinner companions onboard...;)..Hope you enjoy your next cruise and whoever happens to be seated with you...You might make some wonderful new friends..:)

American culture has reached unprecedented levels of sloppy dress. I'm a rather casual dresser, but I appreciate that there are still establishments that require (or at least "suggest") a tux, suit, or jacket and tie for dinner. People are free to eat there or choose a less formal venue if they cannot bring themselves to wear something nicer than jeans or even slacks and a dress shirt. But please don't force your own lazy dressing habits on the establishment, whether it be the MDR on a cruise ship or a nice restaurant or club ashore. If you must dress down, choose a casual place for dinner or another, less formal cruise line.

Why do I get the sense that the guys who show up on formal night with no jacket might be some of the same ones who try to bring their own alcohol aboard, skip the muster drill, bring young children to the Chef's Table, or sleep with their balcony doors propped open? "I'm on vacation, so I can do whatever I want."

Quadman, you may not post much, but you certainly read avidly! ;)

I'm originaly from the "South" and believe me there can be a lot worse than red headed "stepchildren" at a southern family reunion:mad:!! No one should ever be made to feel out of place..What happened to "Southern Hospitality"? I for one never leave it on shore when I get onboard....I will dine with that 5% and will probably have some of the greatest dinner companions onboard...;)..Hope you enjoy your next cruise and whoever happens to be seated with you...You might make some wonderful new friends..:)

Wonderful response and that 5%, nonsense.

Quadman, you may not post much, but you certainly read avidly! ;)

True! I joined here in 2005 as we planned our first and (until now) only cruise. I've been at home the past two weeks recovering from surgery and have had lots of time to catch up on these boards. Allure sounds like an amazingly well-designed ship and we are planning a cruise with (we hope) one or two other families with, like ours, relatively young children, so it's reading time on CC for me.

In response to Ashland, I partially agree with you that hospitality is important, but it's also important to respect your host's house rules. I don't believe that the majority of people showing up sans coat and tie on formal night cannot afford to buy such items. Of course common sense dictates there must be exceptions to every rule; e.g. lost luggage, damaged clothing or shoes, etc. should not automatically exclude someone from the MDR on formal night. But please, to plan a cruise knowing the rules in advance and still refusing to simply wear a coat and tie? That's why the Windjammer is open for dinner.

Look, just because someone doesn't chose to dress according to the suggested guidelines on formal night doesn't mean they should be open to character assasination. They are most likely just as nice and polite as anyone else.

If the men in your group don't want to wear a jacket and tie, or a suit, or a tux on formal night, then so be it. HOWEVER, it is what is requested, and it's up to those gentlemen to decide how they feel dressing "down" for a "dress up" occastion. Pure and simple: their choice.

And, yes, it is very much the minority who dress down in the main dining room on formal nights. Caribbean cruises are more casual and you see more casual wear on those nights, but I've been on Mexico, Caribbean, Hawaiian, Australian, and Alaskan itineraries in the last 14 months, and the majority of men dress up on formal night: something with some kind of jacket and a tie (suit, tux, jacket/tie).

The food in the Windjammer, which is always casual, is great, by the way. It's a completely different atmosphere at night, and it's really a nice place to eat.

Just back from the Oasis and on our first seating on Deck 4 it was a good 95% did dress to code in either tuxes or suits or jackets with ties and long pants. That 5% that didn't sure stuck out like a sore thumb or as we say in the south " a red headed step child at a family red reunion"

Wow...Wow.. so better to wear a tie with a nice shirt or a suit or even a tux than be civil to people. So how many thousands of red headed step children did you insult to make your point? Not that they read these boards. But you said it and put it out there. Your IGNORANCE stands out so much more than a man walking into the MDR in a nice shirt and slacks on formal night...that is for sure. Wow is all I can say. Enjoy your cruises.

My family and I are about to take our first cruise. Our 23 year old son and another couple are going as well. From what I have gleaned from the board is that yes, your men may join the formal nights without wearing a suit and no one will say a word. There are those who truly don't mind a bit if your men do not wear a suit and tie. But I do get a feeling that there are others who lament over the laxness on the part of the cruise line to not enforce the formal night dress code.

Over the years this two night dress code appears to have transformed from a ballroom/tux gala event when my parents went into an "everything from cocktail dresses and suits to ballgowns and tux" code. I get the feeling that there are passengers who would really like to see the formal night be formal for everyone. That the evening would be held to a higher standard and would be set apart, if you will, from all the other evenings. The atmosphere in a room is different when everyone is dressed up compared to everyone who is in slacks and sundresses or even in shorts and tanktops.

And I respect and agree with those feelings, especially since I have other places where I can dine those one or two nights. A gentleman just finished posting his journal from his cruise. His "name" is BuyReallyLow. He and his wife choose not to dine in the MDR during formal nights because he is not interested in wearing a suit and tie on vacation. But he respects the people who do and for their sake he and his wife dine elsewhere.

My son also informed me he would not be dining in the MDR on formal nights for the same reason.

Let me restate that I doubt anyone is going to say a word if your men come into the MDR on formal night not wearing a suit or tie. And everyone will have a grand time. I am simply trying to convey what I am sensing from some people. It's not snobbery--a person wearing formal attire one night will be seen in slacks and a shirt in the same room the next day. And for me, it is very easy to understand and respect a desire for an evening when everyone is on the more formal side of dress wear.

Have a marvelous Monday!:)

Posters who tell you that nothing will be said about how your men dress for the MDR are correct.

No one will have the guts to say anything to them, especially the crew. I've seen far too many ugly scenes involving pax who aren't dressed for dinner and the poor crew member who asks them to change clothes.

So RCI has adopted an anything goes attitude in the MDR.

I've seen a bit of it all..granted those incidents are few and far in between, thank goodness.

Can they get away with just about whatever they feel like wearing? Sure can.:(

Thanks!!

If you were invited to a formal affair on land, would your husband and brother wear just a nice shirt and slacks? If so, then that's the type of folks they are and so be it. If they would not do it on land, then why would they do it on sea?

Rachel

Thanks!!

Your husband and brother will not be denied entry into the MDR on formal night wearing a nice shirt and slacks.

The majority of the people at the MDR won't care what your family is wearing. The small minority that care, will not say a word about it to you - they'll wait until your back is turned and out of earshot to rant amongst themselves :rolleyes::D.

Your husband and brother should not be relegated to the Windjammer :eek: because they choose to wear what's comfortable for them. Dine at the MDR on formal night and enjoy your meal.

Let me first say that I too agree that shorts, tee shirts, baseball caps, tank tops are never appropriate in the main dining room for dinner.

That said, I find it ridiculous that people would look down on someone who showed up wearing dress slacks, a dress shirt and tie instead of a suit or tux. Not every man owns a suit. Shocker!! Does that mean that they should be forced out of eating the food that they paid the same money for as everyone else? The days of steerage class are over.

Sorry, I think that some people on this board get a great deal of satisfaction from building their own sense of 'class' up and trying to make others feel small. To me that is a sure fire sign of someone who lacks breeding and good manners! A person with true class is also a person with grace. One cannot achieve that through a ball gown full of sequins and jewels.

A person with true class is also a person with grace. One cannot achieve that through a ball gown full of sequins and jewels.

My philosophy has alway been, a polite guest dresses as requested. A polite host (and other guests) looks the other way if they do not.

While I do believe one should dress as requested, I also believe that it is equally inappropriate to comment on what someone else is or isn't wearing.

This is such an interesting topic :)

My philosophy has alway been, a polite guest dresses as requested. A polite host (and other guests) looks the other way if they do not.

While I do believe one should dress as requested, I also believe that it is equally inappropriate to comment on what someone else is or isn't wearing.

This is such an interesting topic :)

I agree with you. I think both those who say, "it doesn't matter; you'll be fine" and those who say, "either dress appropriately or go to the Windjammer," are a little off-base. If you don't dress as suggested, then you will be underdressed, but you will not be denied entry.

Archived