RC Dress Code?

HJK001

From my limited experience I can say he won't be denied entry. In fact on the one cruise that I've been on the people in tux's and formal gowns were the ones who stuck out more as they were in the clear minority. I wore dress slacks and a jacket with no tie and I fit right in.

Enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the small stuff.

I would suggest NASCAR or MONSTER TRUCK SHOWS!

Cruisebunnies - I think you like to stir the pot on these boards. Posts like the one you made above do not encourage intelligent discussion or debate. In fact comments like the one above (and on posts I've seen from you on recent threads) are inflammatory and just plain ignorant.:mad:

Let me first say that I too agree that shorts, tee shirts, baseball caps, tank tops are never appropriate in the main dining room for dinner.

That said, I find it ridiculous that people would look down on someone who showed up wearing dress slacks, a dress shirt and tie instead of a suit or tux. Not every man owns a suit. Shocker!! Does that mean that they should be forced out of eating the food that they paid the same money for as everyone else? The days of steerage class are over.

Sorry, I think that some people on this board get a great deal of satisfaction from building their own sense of 'class' up and trying to make others feel small. To me that is a sure fire sign of someone who lacks breeding and good manners! A person with true class is also a person with grace. One cannot achieve that through a ball gown full of sequins and jewels.

"Well, you don't want too much grace or you won't be able to stand." Mr. Justin Pitt, Seinfeld

Cruisebunnies - I think you like to stir the pot on these boards. Posts like the one you made above do not encourage intelligent discussion or debate. In fact comments like the one above (and on posts I've seen from you on recent threads) are inflammatory and just plain ignorant.:mad:

Thanks for the kind words.My intent is to express my opinions freely as we are all entitled to do.

My posts over all tend to point out that too many people lack the class to do things properly and think the rules do not apply to them.

I would not wear a tux to a monster truck rally so don,t wear ripped jeans etc to a fine dining venue.

Do enjoy the upcoming NASCAR season!

Thanks for the kind words.My intent is to express my opinions freely as we are all entitled to do.

My posts over all tend to point out that too many people lack the class to do things properly and think the rules do not apply to them.

I would not wear a tux to a monster truck rally so don,t wear ripped jeans etc to a fine dining venue.

I love when people consider the meals in the MDR fine dining. It is only passable catering hall food.

So what do you really think?:rolleyes:

I love when people consider the meals in the MDR fine dining. It is only passable catering hall food.

Huh???

It's not just about the meals (which are excellent!) but about the entire dining experience.

Sorry, but the experience is diminished when men show up in undershirts, baseball caps, shorts, etc., etc..

Thank you and I will. I hope you enjoy hockey season.

So what do you really think?:rolleyes:!

Yogimax - just calling it like I see it. The stereotypical comments coming out of dustbunnies are staggering.

I believe I said I could not say if it was right or wrong. I don't judge. But if a clown dressed in his clown attire walks into a black tie affair he will be noticed and no one will care because they know he is a clown. And the clown won't care either because he is dressed to be a clown in a black tie affiar. While I don't care what others think of me it has to be a bit embarrssing when you are not that clown.

Trust me people do notice your attire. Last week on the flowrider while doing a contest on the boogie board my swim suit came off. All the people in that area noticed!

Sure you won't be denied entry for not being in a suit or tie or even a jacket with no tie.

Even just a tie and nice dress shirt won't stick out. But wear your Rodney Dangerfield golf outfit or your Joe Island shirt with flip flops and you will be noticed but never denied.

People will talk and if you are lucky they will talk about only here.

This will be our first cruise with our 4 children in March! We will be dressed appropriately for formal dinner because that is what is requested! We raise our children to follow rules and not see "what they can get by with!" So, hopefully as adults, these questions for them will never arise! :)

Well, since I started this whole thing, I should chime in. It's not like my husband and brother will be wearing jeans and their Earnhardt shirts. We're classier than that! I've been on many cruises where the dining room had "suggested attire", but no one followed it.

In a time where luggage is expensive to check, and with two kids in tow, I'm trying to minimize my tendency to overpack. Just thought that maybe the guys could get by with a button-down shirt and slacks as they have on other cruises and forego the sport coat. They will wear one if necessary, so that's why I'm checking. Every cruise line is different. HAL was dressier; Disney was 1/2 and 1/2 and Carnival cruisers tended to be more casual than anyone.

I didn't realize we would appear as "red-headed stepchildren" if they checked their coats at the door. Thanks for all the input!

(And if our family is seated next to anyone who is in a tux and sequins...I apologize in advance that we're ruining your evening!):cool:

Well, since I started this whole thing, I should chime in. It's not like my husband and brother will be wearing jeans and their Earnhardt shirts. We're classier than that! I've been on many cruises where the dining room had "suggested attire", but no one followed it.

In a time where luggage is expensive to check, and with two kids in tow, I'm trying to minimize my tendency to overpack. Just thought that maybe the guys could get by with a button-down shirt and slacks as they have on other cruises and forego the sport coat. They will wear one if necessary, so that's why I'm checking. Every cruise line is different. HAL was dressier; Disney was 1/2 and 1/2 and Carnival cruisers tended to be more casual than anyone.

I didn't realize we would appear as "red-headed stepchildren" if they checked their coats at the door. Thanks for all the input!

(And if our family is seated next to anyone who is in a tux and sequins...I apologize in advance that we're ruining your evening!):cool:

I doubt if anyone who is dresed formally will have their evening ruined by what your family wears.

You can get away with just a shirt and a tie and no jacket. You will see plenty of others dressed more casually than that.

Have you seen photos of the MDrooms? Food quality aside you need to decide how you and your family should dress for a formal dinner.

Wow...Wow.. so better to wear a tie with a nice shirt or a suit or even a tux than be civil to people. So how many thousands of red headed step children did you insult to make your point? Not that they read these boards. But you said it and put it out there. Your IGNORANCE stands out so much more than a man walking into the MDR in a nice shirt and slacks on formal night...that is for sure. Wow is all I can say. Enjoy your cruises.

LBcruzman...Great analogy...You can dress people up, but somethings just can't be hidden under a tux or a ball gown...

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I would suggest the Windjammer.

You will be able to eat in MDR , and dont have to do the WJ. Sure like other posters said they will be at the minority, but no one really goes to formal anymore. So you should be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

I've been reading on the RC site about formal nights. Do the men in my family REALLY need a suit? I will never get my husband or brother in much more than a nice shirt and slacks. Would they be denied entry to the regular dining room if they don't have a tie/coat?

Thanks!!

A lot depends on what type of cruise you are doing. The Caribbean tends to be more causal esp with the earlier dining seating. My husband wears a tie and navy blue sport jacket . They will be fine.

Have fun.:)

No need for you to apologize to "anyone"....Enjoy your cruise :)

I was on the Oasis in October, and I went Hawaiian formal with a nice aloha shirt, black slacks and dress shoes and did not have any problems what so ever getting into the dinning room on formal night. I didn't want to carry my suit across the country for a vacation and so I didn't. I did not notice any dirty looks and the people wear dressed across the spectrum, and by no means did 95% of the people get dressed up.

I think that it is your vacation and you should dress as comfortable as you wish and if you don't feel self conscious then dress as you wish and don't let the tux people intimidate you.

Have a very good time and don't over worry the details, you will be fine.

Robert

I don't care whether or not a gentleman chooses to wear a jacket and tie to dinner but I do feel that a suit is the appropriate attire for a funeral. Shopping for a suit now for a fun reason would be much more pleasant than rushing to find one for grandma's funeral. My husband doesn't wear suits for work but having one purchased for a special event already in the closet for the funerals of his brother, his mother, and our nephew who all passed within a few weeks of each other made things a bit less stressful. That's my argument for the OP's family members to go ahead and invest in a suit.

I noticed you can still rent a tux on RCI. Bags to full to thow a tie in? Do you really need that excuse? These people who think it's okay to avoid the formal dress code seem to always justify their poor judgement. What's wrong with the gents putting on a coat and tie for their ladies instead of the other passengers? When your wife looks so great and you look like, well like you want to look and she wants that one formal photograph you've not taken in 20 years and she looks so good in the photo and you look like something totally opposite...... well you get the picture. If she buys that photo she will be reminded that you didn't have the decentcey to put on a coat and tie for her. I just call it poor judgement since you made the call. Right shall always be the right thing to do and wrong will always be the wrong thing to do no matter how you sugar coat it to please others. RCI has suggested what is right and what is wrong for you so no excuse in poor judgement. And i've yet to be on a cruise (after 35 of them) in which no one dressed for formal night. Even Carnival & Disney gets at least half. What ship line does worse then Carnival? Maybe NCL with their famous "dress up or not" night but then they don't call it formal do they? And neither does Carnival. They now call it "elegant" night which is a far cry from being a formal night. RCI still calls it formal was well was many others like X and HAL.

no one really goes to formal anymore. So you should be fine.

"no one"???

Not so!

The great majority of cruisers follow the recommended guideines.

I agree that tuxes are passe, with less than 5% wearing them, but the vast majority of men still wear suits or jackets and ties.

Less then 5% in tuxes? Just off the Oasis and it was a good 25% in tuxes. Even the younger set was wearing them. Putting an exact % for all cruises is hard to do as the clientel changes week to week and ship to ship. You can pick the cruise, pick the ship, pick where to go and when to go but you can never pick the other 3000 +/- people going with you.

Our week had 800 cruisers from Brazil and they all dressed nicely on formal. There was 400 Healthy Chocolate cruisers and they dressed up for formal. And there was a large group of foot doctors that were sharp dressers. Your week might be full of something not so fancy and get you that 5% or less but not likely. RCI still gets a better dressed cruiser then Carnival. Now on Carnival the only tuxes you might see are the wait staff and cruise director and staff but remember they no longer have a formal night. It's elegant night.

Interesting discussion. I didn't think this subject would generate so much passion. I've opted for the suit and tie thing on RCI formal nights, and unless things have changed since I last traveled with RCI six years ago, those in suits and ties outnumbered those in tuxes. I rented tuxes on more recent Princess cruises, one being my honeymoon, not caring to pack my own and dealing with the dry cleaning when I got back. On our last Princess cruise, most were dressed appropriately (according to the cruise lines recommendations; again, the suits outnumbered the penguins- I mean the tuxes), but there were a few who decided differently. One gentleman, obviously a cowpoke from Wyoming or some such place, came in a total jean outfit- cowboy shirt with a bolo tie, jean pants, and a jean jacket, along with studded boots. Personally, I think he looked quite respectable, if not John Wayne dashing. The fact that they served him a special meal of grilled squirrel and beans notwithstanding, I think he had a nice time. And no one cared. Not even his wife, who was equally attired in a denim skirt. A tablemate came in a very smart sport coat- on the scale of Bill Blass or Evan Picone- with a turtleneck (it was an Alaskan cruise). I envied him, as I squirmed around in my overstarched shirt.

Just kidding about the squirrel and beans, by the way.

bob123

Yep!

Over twenty cruises on RCCL and never more than that!

It was definitely more than that on the two Voyager cruises I've been on out of Galveston. I haven't really done a survey to calculate the percentage, but they were prevalent enough that I'm sure it was more than 5%. But there were more suits and sport coats than tuxes.

Archived