RC Dress Code?

HJK001

Less then 5% in tuxes? Just off the Oasis and it was a good 25% in tuxes. Even the younger set was wearing them. Putting an exact % for all cruises is hard to do as the clientel changes week to week and ship to ship. You can pick the cruise, pick the ship, pick where to go and when to go but you can never pick the other 3000 +/- people going with you.

Our week had 800 cruisers from Brazil and they all dressed nicely on formal. There was 400 Healthy Chocolate cruisers and they dressed up for formal. And there was a large group of foot doctors that were sharp dressers. Your week might be full of something not so fancy and get you that 5% or less but not likely. RCI still gets a better dressed cruiser then Carnival. Now on Carnival the only tuxes you might see are the wait staff and cruise director and staff but remember they no longer have a formal night. It's elegant night.

YIKES :eek: !!! Brazilians,Healthy Chocolates and Foot Doctors..Is there no end to your catagorizing the people that sail/dine with you....

Our last Freedom cruise saw a majority of men in suits and ties.

There were a few who dressed down..but not many.

Most women were dressed in cocktail dresses but a few did have on some lovely gowns.

And of course there were some who dressed as if they were going to their local diner for dinner.:(

>>A tablemate came in a very smart sport coat- on the scale of Bill Blass or Evan >>Picone- with a turtleneck (it was an Alaskan cruise). I envied him, as I squirmed >>around in my overstarched shirt.

bob123- this has been my standard 'formal' attire for the past 5 years.. has worked well on Med/Baltic/Alaska/Hawaii and Caribe cruises on 6 of the major cruiselines. Longsleeve turtleneck or a black 'nicer' T-shirt under a sport coat with some black slacks depending on the weather.

To the OP, DH and I have sailed on Freedom of the Seas before, and will be sailing again on 4/24 from Pt. Canaveral. DH does NOT wear a suit/tux or any of the like, while on a cruise. He tends to go toward the "Hawaiian" formal. With nice linen pants, and nice shirt and shoes. I tend to wear a dress or something equally nice.

This does NOT make us lazy, or impolite or any of the other assumptions that have been made by some who answered your original question. People have different interpretations...and plus, this is a cruise, so focus more on enjoying yourself and less on what others think!!

On our previous cruise on Freedom (and I don't see this changing) the people who were on the cruise with us were more concerned with having a good time themselves than keeping up with what anyone else was wearing.

This is your cruise, as long as all involved are not looking disheveled, I don't see there being a problem.

Enjoy your Cruise!!!

Only 3 months to go!!!! :-)

Thanks for the kind words.My intent is to express my opinions freely as we are all entitled to do.

My posts over all tend to point out that too many people lack the class to do things properly and think the rules do not apply to them.

I would not wear a tux to a monster truck rally so don,t wear ripped jeans etc to a fine dining venue.

Do enjoy the upcoming NASCAR season!

That's just it - there are no rules, they are specifically described as suggestions. I wear a suit - I can put it on for 2 nights for a couple hours, no big deal. But for those who do not, it is their right. Just as it's your right/intent to express your opinion - they are just as entitled.

Thank you and I will. I hope you enjoy hockey season.

Yogimax - just calling it like I see it. The stereotypical comments coming out of dustbunnies are staggering.

I don't get it... please explain this.

Go Rangers!

HEY! :mad:

What are Healty Chocolates?

High cocoa content, no artificial sugars/sweeteners. There actually is healthy chocolate and they're fantastic with red grapes. But obviously, not a whole lot - 1 square :cool:

Back to topic, I think a lot of the down dressing comes from people who have just been on a ton of cruises who are just trying to tone it down. Sick of dressing up for 2 nights when it's kind of meaningless - have all the pictures in their living room (and under their bed) and just wanna let loose. And good for them - who cares, everyone enjoys their vacation in their own way.

but no one really goes to formal anymore. So you should be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. Are you saying that no one wears formal clothes anymore? That's really not true. Maybe you've seen this on a ship, but the majority of people do dress very nicely on all the ships I've cruised on, and there's a lot of full suits and tuxes.

It's actually a very small minority of people on the ships and here on CruiseCritic that dress casually on formal night. But, again, it's their choice.

What I don't understand is why people Windjammer-bash on these dress code threads. It's a really great place to eat dinner, and there's no dress code there (except no bare feet or swimsuits, I think).

Personally, I don't like seeing men wear shirts and ties with no jacket. I think they look weird, like they forgot to wear part of their clothes. Just my opinion.

I was on the Oasis in October, and I went Hawaiian formal with a nice aloha shirt, black slacks and dress shoes and did not have any problems what so ever getting into the dinning room on formal night. I didn't want to carry my suit across the country for a vacation and so I didn't. I did not notice any dirty looks and the people wear dressed across the spectrum, and by no means did 95% of the people get dressed up.

I think that it is your vacation and you should dress as comfortable as you wish and if you don't feel self conscious then dress as you wish and don't let the tux people intimidate you.

Have a very good time and don't over worry the details, you will be fine.

Robert

Again, Caribbean cruise, and more casual. It really does have somthing to do with where you are cruising as to the percentage of men who dress up for formal night.

I think the OP is going to the Caribbean, so their plans will be fine for the men in the group.

I just like to clarify that it's not that way on most other cruise itineraries.

The Healthy Chocolate cruisers were a group of 400 people last week on the Oasis many of whom wore a green neon T Shirt that said "Healthy Chocolate paid for my cruise". They are a new fad wave of people jumping on the bandwagon that eating and drinking a certain amount of dark chocolate will reduce your blood pressure and loose weight at the same time. Other health benefits too numerous to name here. Several companies are distrubting the special made chocolate through commission type sales plans. The ones I talked to about it were very nice people and so friendly and some of them brought samples to give out to non-believers. I thought it tasted very good to be a dark chocolate bar. Maybe some members are CCs and can add more to what I've said about as I know very little about it. I don't want to mislead the believers of it's benefits.

Formal night dress continues to be a "hot" topic everytime a newcomer ask a simple question of what to wear on formal nights. But each time these heated discussions take place the ones agreeing you should follow the cruise lines guidelines far outweight the ones that say dress as you please it's your cruise. It's obvious which is the right choice to take on this.

The Healthy Chocolate cruisers were a group of 400 people last week on the Oasis many of whom wore a green neon T Shirt that said "Healthy Chocolate paid for my cruise". They are a new fad wave of people jumping on the bandwagon that eating and drinking a certain amount of dark chocolate will reduce your blood pressure and loose weight at the same time. Other health benefits too numerous to name here. Several companies are distrubting the special made chocolate through commission type sales plans. The ones I talked to about it were very nice people and so friendly and some of them brought samples to give out to non-believers. I thought it tasted very good to be a dark chocolate bar. Maybe some members are CCs and can add more to what I've said about as I know very little about it. I don't want to mislead the believers of it's benefits.

Formal night dress continues to be a "hot" topic everytime a newcomer ask a simple question of what to wear on formal nights. But each time these heated discussions take place the ones agreeing you should follow the cruise lines guidelines far outweight the ones that say dress as you please it's your cruise. It's obvious which is the right choice to take on this.

I was just curious to what it meant. Thanks for the explanation, sounds cool.

How difficult or expensive is it for a man to have one suit with 2 different shirts and ties, outfits for 2 nights

I never get dressed up , besides for special occasions. I have one black suit that i can itnerchange with whatever shirt and tie , but like stags said good suits are not cheap mine cost way more than few hundered bucks. For someone who doesnt need one except for vacation spending that few hundred can be very costly.

I think folks on CC are more casual than the general cruise population. Remember CC is just a very small sample of cruisers.

We just returned from the Allure and found that approx. 70-80% of the men were in a suit/tux/sport jacket on formal nights.

Enjoy

M

I have always found that more people dress up on "formal night" than those who don't.

The men in our group rent tuxes on the ship. SO easy peasy! They get measured at a local tux shop, submit the measurements to RCCL and the tux is waiting in the cabin when we arrive. There is an alteration guy on board so if anything needs adjusting, they do it immediately. It is less than $100 (even less with the C&A coupon) and it comes with 2 shirts....one for each "formal night". They pick up the tux on the last night. No packing it or getting it cleaned/pressed.

Again...easy peasy! :D

A suit can cost a few hundred bucks.

My husband has two suits which are actually "separates", sort of...jacket and pants by Haggar. He bought them a few years ago and the two suits together were less than $125. It is possible to get a nice well-fitting suit for considerably less than "a few hundred dollars". I have gone to consignment shops on a few occasoins and have gotten beautiful outfits for men and women for a fraction of their original cost. Again much less than " a few hundred dollars". You have to check out all the options available.

"A suit can cost a few hundred bucks. "

Not at your local Goodwill or Salvation Army Store! Usually $20 or less on sale day.

If a grown man don't have a suit he should. He might die someday and who would want to see an open casket funeral with a body wearing a Caribbean flowered shirt with shorts and flip flops on it?

And really we are only talking jacket here not a full suit. Just a cheap jacket, nice pants and old used tie will fit in with the norm. These non conformers that get their kicks by sticking out like a sore thumb always quote the don't want to get dressed up in a penguin suit. It's not that. Never has been that requirement. It's always been a tux OR a suit or a jacket with tie. Why is it so complicated for the average semi-educated man to understand the meaning of the word "formal" dress/attire? Are suggestions from the cruise line even necessary? The word "formal" should spell it out.

Sometimes you just have to keep it real.

If a grown man don't have a suit he should. He might die someday and who would want to see an open casket funeral with a body wearing a Caribbean flowered shirt with shorts and flip flops on it?

You know what - I think I like that idea. I'm not sure I want an open casket at all, when I go, but if I did, I think I'd want to be dressed that way! Lighten the mood a little and let people know that I enjoyed it while I was here . . .

...........He might die someday and who would want to see an open casket funeral with a body wearing a Caribbean flowered shirt with shorts and flip flops on it? ...........

LMAO. I about fell out of chair laughing when I read that.:p If I tried to use that logic with my husband, he'd probably think I was trying to axe him.

Keep keeping it real f5loar.

;)Side 1. A cruise is a vacation, but it is something special. A cruise has certain traditions. Once or twice on a cruise, depending on length, a certain night is designation "special" i.e. formal night. Your host, RCCL, has designated this night formal night. Their request is that you dress up for dinner in the MDR. Men to wear Suit and tie or Tux. A formal night invitation is just that FORMAL. A special night to remember for those cruisers who desire this. It in noted ahead of time, and people are informed of the fact that there are formal nights on cruise ships.;)

:mad:Side 2. I'm on vacation. I don't care about traditions. I have paid for this cruise. I dress up a work. I'm not dressing up for dinner. I don't care what is requested by RCCl, or my fellow passengers. If those fools want to dress up. Let them. Not me.:mad:

Both sides have merits. Solution--RCCL has to have rules and enforce them (shorts), or don't have them. Two levels in dining room. Formal level, and non-formal level. Or Windjammer for people who choose not to attend MDR on formal night. OR if you don't want to dress, consider land based activities, or have cruises (Caribbean, bahamas, bermuda) with no formal nights, and European, Alaska, New England areas with formal cruise nights. Me--I enjoy tradition of dressing for formal night, but new cruisers of today do not always want to carry on that right:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Archived