Do you see many people drunk onboard?

My DH asked me to type this for him - I wasn't on this cruise.

I met a man from England who was very sober the first day and drunk every day until the end of the cruise when we found him passed out in the hallway (this was a Princess Cruise on the Star Princess). He was a really nice guy -- just didn't hold his liquor all week.

So I was out a little later and harder one night than usual on the Majesty (cruised for college graduation... was single and fresh out of a "party school" college...)

Anyway, I made my way to the elevators and pushed the button for down. When I got on, so did about 8 ladies who were anywhere from the ages 73 and 85. THEY WERE HAMMERED. The one giggled and pushed all the buttons. At EVERY FLOOR they'd all pile off, look around, giggle and exclaim "This isn't our floor!!!!!", hop back on the elevator to do it all over again...

Even as intoxicated as I was, it was the FUNNIEST thing I've ever seen in my life.

I don't know how I found the room that night, but I remember that in bold detail...

The only time I've ever been drunk on a cruise ship was a total accident. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. It was on SeaDreamI, which used to be the Seabourn Sea Goddess I, and it was the first night, and all drinks are included free of charge in your fare. We were in the lounge watching the entertainers and we were dancing and every time I'd get up to dance, I'd come back to another full double martini sitting on the table. I was really proud of myself that I was barely drinking, yet having an increasingly great time. The next thing I knew it was the next morning. I woke up and looked in the mirror and my face was covered with a brown, pasty-looking stuff. I was mortified. You can imagine what humiliating thoughts were going through my head. I was relieved to find out that, apparently, when my wife had finally gotten me into the bed, I had fallen asleep with my face on the chocolates on the pillow, which had melted during the night.

At that time, my wife and I had been married for 15 years, and it was the first time she had ever seen me wasted. At least she reported that I was a very happy drunk and that I kept gushing about how much I loved her. I will never know how many drinks I had that night. Each night after that, I would always instruct the bartenders to refrain from re-filling my martini until I requested another one. They also had unlimited free caviar in the lounge areas. And they let you pre-order a liter each of two different liquors which were awaiting you in your room when you boarded. From a food and alcohol standpoint, it was the best cruise ever. Other than that, though, there were many nights when I was the only person still up and about after 10 p.m. There were only 52 passengers on the ship and the entertainment was extremely limited, and there were next to no activities on sea days.

Allen

Allen, your story reminds me of some of the interesting debates I've read regarding the alcohol-inclusive policies on the luxury lines. Some people believe that this results in a higher incidence of drunk-and-disorderly passengers than there would be otherwise. (Although, I suspect it's not quite as much of a problem on the luxe lines as it would be on the mass-market lines, given that the demographic of these lines tends to be much more in the geriatric range...so how disorderly can they really be?)

However, I understand the concern. On the other hand, I also understand the luxury lines wishing to have alcohol inclusion as one of the many differentiating factors between them and the mass-market lines -- one of which is eliminating the chit-signing and "nickel-&-diming" atmosphere. In my opinion, Radisson Seven Seas has the best solution -- they only offer free alcohol at dinner, mostly in the form of free-poured wines (although you can ask for any alcoholic beverage you desire during dinner). By doing this, they limit the amount of free booze to this relatively small segment of time, with the added benefit that it's taking place while eating, which I imagine results in less consumption than just sitting for hours in a bar with a never-empty glass.

But I'll tell you how it REALLY works when I get back from my first RSSC cruise in May. :)

LeeAnne

After reading these boards for any length of time, it would seem that the entire ship should be full of drunks. That's not the way it was on my cruises. Sure you'd see some well-lubricated folks but rarely anyone completely out of control. So that leaves me to the conclusion that most people talk a good line but don't necessarily walk the walk. :D

After reading these boards for any length of time, it would seem that the entire ship should be full of drunks. That's not the way it was on my cruises. Sure you'd see some well-lubircated folks but rarely anyone completely out of control. So that leaves me to the conclusion that most people talk a good line but don't necessarily walk the walk. :D

Yup, you got me! :D Guilty as charged. I actually fall asleep before I could ever get to the point where I would be noticeably intoxicated. But it's fun to pretend. ;)

LeeAnne

I don't drink that much because I always get sick when I drink too much. I can't imagine drinking too much on a ship that is rocking, that would just be horrible. I also must not notice the drunks because on my last cruise I didn't notice anyone (well I was on Holland America after all).

Allen, your story reminds me of some of the interesting debates I've read regarding the alcohol-inclusive policies on the luxury lines. Some people believe that this results in a higher incidence of drunk-and-disorderly passengers than there would be otherwise. (Although, I suspect it's not quite as much of a problem on the luxe lines as it would be on the mass-market lines, given that the demographic of these lines tends to be much more in the geriatric range...so how disorderly can they really be?)

LeeAnne

Well, I'm somewhat geriatric, and I have a gift for being disorderly.:D

Allen

I'd have to say I saw more than a few drunk people aboard. Nothing major but "silly drunk". Funny thing is none of them were under 40. Guess the snow may have been on the mountain but there was plenty of fire down below.... Party on AARP style :D

Well' date=' I'm somewhat geriatric, and I have a gift for being disorderly.:D

Allen[/quote']

I'll take a tipsy, disorderly Grampa over a belligerent and bellowing Bubba any day! :)

LeeAnne

With all the questions about folks wanting to smuggle liquor and wine onboard, I am starting to wonder, do you see many people drunk onboard? We're cruising for 7 nights and for some reason, I presume that party cruises happen more often on shorter cruises. I guess my presumption is that those folk want to pack all their partying into a shorter time.

Asking if there will be drunks on board is like asking if can feel the boat move. The answer is YES to both. It happens. Alcohol is everywhere and you don't have to drive. 99% of the time there everyone is just having fun.

Last cruise I was on (Splendour) I was on a top deck the mid part of a morning and a young lady who I had been chatting with the day before sat down in a lounge chair (plunked really) and asked me what to do for alcohol poisoning. She knew I was a nurse. Since she was walking (sort of) and talking and it had been 8 hours since her last "Cosmo". I made her drink LOTS of water and eat lightly despite her lack of appetite. She said lots of young people had gotten smashed the night before and had passed out all over the place (Spring break, guys). The main thing was she was really scared, and had absolutely no idea how MANY drinks she had drank. OOPs. So, don't let it get too out of hand, or you too will be miserable and worried....

In the cruises we have been on we have never seen anyone on our ship that was what I would call really drunk. But we have been docked along several Carnival ships over the years and have seen people either being carried back aboard or doing what I would consider rather questionable things on those ships (flashing or mooning people on the ship docked next to them, yelling and shouting at people on the dock, throwing things from the ship to the dock or trying to throw things to the ship). I don't know if I am alone in seeing these activities but it has deterred us from taking a Carnival cruise. And we are not adverse to drinking some wine, a cocktail or some beer but this seemed extreme.

But on HAL, Celebrity, RCI, Costa and Princess we haven't seen it.

Have a great next cruise.

After reading these boards for any length of time, it would seem that the entire ship should be full of drunks. That's not the way it was on my cruises. Sure you'd see some well-lubricated folks but rarely anyone completely out of control. So that leaves me to the conclusion that most people talk a good line but don't necessarily walk the walk. :D

That's funny! :D I am guessing that many of us are professional drinkers with a higher level of expertise. ;)

Yup, you got me! :D Guilty as charged. I actually fall asleep before I could ever get to the point where I would be noticeably intoxicated. But it's fun to pretend. ;)

LeeAnne

That's so me. If I drink too much early in the evening, I'm ready for bed before I even get tipsy. And that's just too boring -- going to bed at 8:00 pm on a cruise. It happened once and I was so mad the next morning.

On our last cruise we were seated outside Boleros listening to some latin music when a fortyish woman stumbled to the bar with a drink in her hand. She had another one or two, sat down on a bar stool and passed out. She was still there when we went to our room.

We don't drink more than one a day due to meds we are on but we partied hard when cruising in the 80's, especially on the Kon Tiki and Jolly Roger party boats. Most people used to get absolutely sh!t faced including me. Upon return to the ship one time I won some RCCL ashtrays in a limbo contest and the lowest height I cleared was about four feet.:)

It seems people partied a lot more in those days before the mass market lines became so family oriented.:rolleyes:

Bob

I suspect it's not quite as much of a problem on the luxe lines as it would be on the mass-market lines, given that the demographic of these lines tends to be much more in the geriatric range...so how disorderly can they really be?)

Oh, let me tell you about my great-grandmother. She moved into a retirement village, and she didn't like it. She wanted to move out, but she had a lease and a deposit, and -- like all members of my family -- she was thrifty. So she set the place on fire, thinking that they'd have to refund her money if it burned down! How's that for a disorderly 70-something???

It scares me a bit that her blood runs through my veins!

Archived