Do you see many people drunk onboard?

I suspect it's not quite as much of a problem on the luxe lines as it would be on the mass-market lines, given that the demographic of these lines tends to be much more in the geriatric range...so how disorderly can they really be?)

Oh, let me tell you about my great-grandmother. She moved into a retirement village, and she didn't like it. She wanted to move out, but she had a lease and a deposit, and -- like all members of my family -- she was thrifty. So she set the place on fire, thinking that they'd have to refund her money if it burned down! How's that for a disorderly 70-something???

It scares me a bit that her blood runs through my veins!

YIKES! But was she DRUNK when she did it? ;) :D

LeeAnne

In the cruises we have been on we have never seen anyone on our ship that was what I would call really drunk. But we have been docked along several Carnival ships over the years and have seen people either being carried back aboard or doing what I would consider rather questionable things on those ships (flashing or mooning people on the ship docked next to them, yelling and shouting at people on the dock, throwing things from the ship to the dock or trying to throw things to the ship). I don't know if I am alone in seeing these activities but it has deterred us from taking a Carnival cruise. And we are not adverse to drinking some wine, a cocktail or some beer but this seemed extreme.

But on HAL, Celebrity, RCI, Costa and Princess we haven't seen it.

Have a great next cruise.

Having been on both RCCL and Carnival 4 times each, I can tell you this is not strickly limited to Carnival. I agree with the person that posted you may see it more when leaving a port with Carlos and Charlies or one that does the Kon Tiki Party Boat.

Let me tell you about our last 2 RCCL cruises. While watching out our balcony on the Explorer a year ago we saw a middle aged gal being carried by 2 guys back to the ship. She was the one we saw flash the entire dance floor at Margaritaville in Jamaica. ( no--it wasn't me ) :p

This past cruise on the Jewel 2 weeks ago, we had a passenger departed in San Juan due to his intoxication, and the next day we heard the Alpha, Alpha, Alpha in the Champagne Bar. Seems someone had a bit too much to drink and passed out at the bar. :eek:

Point is, it happens. It happens whether you are on Carnival, RCCL or any other ship. You may get people normally don't drink that decide to have a martini or two before dinner. Then you have us pro's who can start poolside with a bloody mary and go all night.....;)

In all fairness, I have seen some rather drunk people board a Carnival ship. But then again......we've also boarded RCCL. But we were not loud and obnoxious. :D

I can see drinking before dinner the first day! LOL! I'm a little nervous about my partner and I eating with total strangers. Never know what you're going to get. After the first day,. I'm sure we'll all be fine and I can sober up. :)

I have, on several occasions, had more than a few cocktails while on board but I have never passed out at a bar, at least I dont think so. hehe I think my body has a built in warning to me to let me know when enoughs enough. I usually start to hiccup and thats my warning to stop. I know there have been many mornings where I say to my friends that I wont be drinking like I did the night before anymore only to chase those words down with a mango tango or some coronas.

Its amazing how many people dont realize what drinking fruity drinks while sitting in a hot tub in the heat does to oneself. I got smashed one day while drinking yellowbirds sitting in a hot tub with a group of friends. I should say we all got smashed. Needless to say, that was the last time we drank anything while sitting in a hot tub and we laugh each cruise when we see this happen to others. We say its part of the onboard entertainment and its sometimes better than what the ship provides.

Its a vacation and as long as I dont interfere on anyones fun, I will enjoy myself.

I have, on several occasions, had more than a few cocktails while on board but I have never passed out at a bar, at least I dont think so. hehe

Its a vacation and as long as I dont interfere on anyones fun, I will enjoy myself.

I completely agree with you! I like to cocktail---but have never been fall down, don't remember a dang thing drunk (at least not on a ship ):D

I've seen a few well oiled passengers but never anyone behaving rudely or overly obnoxious. I think its because a lot of people drink earlier than normal and then pass out and sleep at lot of it off. You see wild behavior at Carlos & Charlies, Senor Frogs and then those people are sleeping it off on board. Mostly you see happy drunks on cruises because the stress of real life is gone.

We pack Advil and Pedialyte! For that one week, we are 29 again. But one of us stays semi sober to keep the other one in line (sorry Mr Wolf)

I find it fascinating to see how different people have answered this. I guess some folks don't consider themselves drunk until they lose consciousness or develop amnesia!:eek:

Lighten up! I think most are trying to make a fun topic out of this. Have you ever had dinner in a restaurant that serves alcohol.......I bet there were drunk people in there. Do you witness stumbling, falling down, vomiting on the sidewalk people? You may see some doing a bit of sidewalk weaving coming back from the Kon Tiki or Carlos and Charlies, but for the most part I don't think so. Having a couple drinks ( or more ) as an adult when you are not driving ( or navigating ) really isn't a crime--unless you are being rude and obnoxious, then it should be addressed to the proper people that can deal with it.

..I was actually HOSTING a cruise on CCL's Imagination for some radio listeners ( I am in broadcasting). We were at Playa Del Carman till 11pm.

I was just strolling the town in the evening after a Mayan Ruins excursion during the day. Found a Senor Frogs..nice place right on the water, and found two of our group..so sat down and joined them in copious adult refreshments. Ofcourse the "hoochy" gals came around and did their routine

and 'fed" me three or four shots..which are pretty weak, but the shots my fellow travelor kept ordering us were not. My last memory was dancing with this lovely ship staffer who had the evening off. My next one was waking up in my shipcabin at 2am with the ship well underway (alone, unfortunately). I had to have other people help me reconstruct my actions, and apparently I did not embarras myself too much. Just made it back with my friends in a taxi, joined them up top for the late nite sail away buffet, and went to bed. They say they could tell I was "happy" but no more so than alot of other folks. My only indication I had eaten was indigestion the next morning. This of course is a classic "black-out"..not a good situation, and I didn't feel too hot the next day. I try to drink responsibly now, and avoid shots..then again earlier this month when I was at Carlos and Charlies......

Mitch

Mitch------very funny story. I stay away from shots because they do tend to sneak up on you. But when you are at Carlos and Charlies or Senor Frogs, it is hard to say no when all your friends are telling the shot girl to give you one. At least you made it back to the ship.....I'm sure plenty aren't that lucky. :eek:

Lighten up! I think most are trying to make a fun topic out of this. Have you ever had dinner in a restaurant that serves alcohol.......I bet there were drunk people in there. Do you witness stumbling, falling down, vomiting on the sidewalk people? You may see some doing a bit of sidewalk weaving coming back from the Kon Tiki or Carlos and Charlies, but for the most part I don't think so. Having a couple drinks ( or more ) as an adult when you are not driving ( or navigating ) really isn't a crime--unless you are being rude and obnoxious, then it should be addressed to the proper people that can deal with it.

Gee Lisa, besides seeming defensive, your post has nothing to do with anything I've said. I certainly have had alcohol with dinner lots of times and have no problem with people being drunk; I was just asking how prevalant it was on ships. I think most folks might presume that being so drunk that you can't remember what you did is pretty wild.

You're right, I'd prefer not to see vomit on the sidewalk or on the deck (and I don't want to meet anyone who would prefer to see it there) but I was just really ondering how many drunks folks we might encounter (or join).

Have a nice cocktail and simmer down.

This is the greatest thread! Last year we took our "special needs" son on his first cruise. We were testing him out to see how he would handle it so we went for a 3 nighter on Carnivals Fantasy for Christmas.

We embarked at about 3pm. Shortly after we boarded, we were watching people on the docks, when suddenly we see several police cars pull up close to the dock. Seems there was a man who had boarded earlier and was smashed and causing quite a problem (fighting and what not). He had been evicted from the ship before it even left! It took a number of officers to get him off the ship. They held him there on the dock for quite some time. We assumed, they were collecting his belongings off the ship. NO! It was to page all the other members of his party and see if they wanted to stay on the ship or get off with this sorry soul. Who came out? Three elderly ladies (one in a wheel chair)!

OMG!!!!!! If I were him, I would be begging to go to jail rather than deal with the rath..... We still wonder if they let him live.

Sea day in the beginning of our Mexican Riviera cruise last June. Finally got sunny around 2pm and these girls kept themselves accupied with their drinks apparently well after we left the pool area for dinner. Next morning, heading to the Windjammer for breakfast.... two of the girls in the same lounge chairs passed out in their swimsuits... with a large bottle of JD next to them - almost empty. Must have purchased the whole thing from the bar, huh? Guess that bottle kept them warm overnight in the swimsuits, because it was mighty chilly that night! :p

My hubbie and I spend quality time on the cruise late at night on deck watching the drunk passengers comming back form partying in port and trying to make it back befor ethe ship laves it is most AMUSING!!!!

I also agree sometimes in teh dining room after a day of partying snorkling drinking etc.. you can see some of the best behavior (hee-hee):)

So, Mrs. Pete, did grandma get out of her lease after all?

We introduced some fellow passengers to Lemon Drop martinis during a Captain's reception. It was crowded in the main lounge, so we just plunked ourselves down at the bar and Drago was kind enough to make us a couple of Lemon Drops. The woman next to DH said, "ooh, that looks interesting." She and her DH each had two (and he was pouring stiff ones), and then joined us as we wove our way to our table for dinner, since their tablemates were teetotallers and we had 4 empty seats. Afterwards, we went to the Beatlemania show. Never could figure out why there were 8 of them onstage.:D

From the pages of "What the Hell was I thinking"?

A few years ago we decided to go to the late night Toga Party on the pool deck. I did my best Bluto Blutarsky complete with the toga, glow in the dark RCCL boxers, tux bow tie and the head wreath. The band played Aminal House music and everyone was dressed up. We had a great time and the party broke up about 1 a.m.

I was positive I stayed in control until the next afternoon when I checked my Seapass Account. Seems I sprung for over $250.00 in drinks!!! Guess I made a lot of friends that night!

Archived