Do you see many people drunk onboard?

One time on a Carnival cruise, there were lots of 21-22 year olds and boy were they drunk! (College graduation cruise) Running thru the halls at 2AM, yelling etc. and Carnival put them off the ship the next day in Dominica. At that time Dominica was a place almost no one heard of. I think that was the reason the ships started having people under 25 needed an adult (older) with them, although I don't know if the same rule apply today. When they were put off, the whole ship was yelling and clapping!

Katie

The rule is under 21 you have to have a person 25 or over in your stateroom or in the case of children cruising with parents a stateroom either next door or across the hall. Or in the case of a married couple-one of you can be under 21 without the other being 25 to cruise.

So if there is a group of 21 yr. olds-they can cruise. But just goes to show by your ex. that rule does not solve the problem. Some people never mature and others mature at a young age.

I have only seen one person that was drunk and obnoxious. This was on Sovereign back in 01. This man was screaming abuse at the waiter at dinner-his wife tried to calm him down which as you can guess- it did not work-he just started being abusive towards her. He was not removed from the dinningroom but we did not see him after that. Thank goodness.

That same cruise we had a bunch of partying college students (around 8 or 10) throwing one another FULLY CLOTHED into the Lido pool. This was annoying- and I am sure they were somewhat intoxicated- but mostly they were just acting inmature and childish-which as we all know is irritating even when it is an 8 year old much less a bunch of 20 year olds.

I have not seen a bunch of outlandish drunks on Carnival-no more then any other line-although I did see this drunk best man from an on board wedding party go down the pool slide in a tux. I found this sort've funny(though if he had continued I may have been irritated with him- but he only did it once) but I could not help but wonder how he would feel the next day when he realized he would have to BUY that tux. That gave me a good laugh.

We saw a lot of drunk people in the disco on the Norwegian Majesty when we cruised in January. It was really quite entertaining, especially when some of the people started stripping. I guess this was the best place to be drunk at 2:00 A.m.

Teri

I saw another post talking about the all you can drink card for alcohol as well... For me personally I think its a great idea, because I would like it and I'm cheap =) , BUT I know that to unleash something like that on the masses would most likely be a horrible disaster.... I can't imagine the liability involved in that...

I have heard that you can get wine deals on the first day of the ship, kind of like pre-buying a 7 bottles to be served to you at dinner or something like that... figure we'll just have to walk around and investigate to see for sure...

Worldsbest, I agree that unlimited drinks would be a disaster. We did the wine package on Radiance last fall. We wouldn't do it again. We could order any wine under $35 for $150 plus 15% gratuity. The problem was that we ate at Chops one night and they only had a couple of wines on their list that were under $35, and none appealed, so we "had" to buy a bottle of Domaine Chandon that night (you can't get a credit of $35 toward a more expensive bottle). By the end of 7 nights, we felt that we HAD to order a bottle of wine, and in fact ended up sharing with our tablemates who did drink wine (only one other couple) just so we would get all 7. We like to have a couple of cocktails before dinner, so we're already buzzed by the time we get to the table, and could have ended up falling sound asleep if we'd drunk the whole bottle every night.

Jean,

Thank you for the info about the wine package. Do you know if you end up ordering abottle of wine at dinner will they let you take it back to your room if you don't finish the whole thing at dinner? Or do you have to finish it all in the dining room (or in Chops or Portofino's) at one sitting? I appreciate the info becuase my Bf and I are wine drinkers.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that you can bring your own wine on as long as you pay a corkage fee to have at dinner. How does that work? Do they take the wine and hold it for you? Or can you keep it in your room and then bring it to the dining room with you?

I also read that some people take a bottle on board with them for when we first sail off, is that really allowed?

Thanks in advance to whoever can answer....

WBC

WBC, if we don't finish a bottle, they cork it back up and keep it for the next night. That comes in handy because I usually prefer red and DH prefers white, so we each get a bottle. We've never tried to bring the wine back to our room, but I'll bet you could do it or the dining room would send room service up with it (they may have a rule against walking around with an open bottle).

RCCL has a murky policy about bringing your own wine aboard. There's some place on their website where they say that you may not do so, but then another place says they charge a corkage if you bring your own wine to the dining room. The contract you get with your cruise docs says that they reserve the right to limit the amount of alcohol brought on board. Other posters have said you can bring something on that they don't carry, but I have trouble envisioning how they would actually determine that at boarding.

We've never had a problem bringing a bottle or two on board in our carryon. Once in San Pedro, there was a booze confiscation station set up, and the scanner did ask about our wine bottle, but nobody actually took it away, so we enjoyed it at sailaway. I think they were really after the hard liquor.

Archived