did carnival ever have skeet competitions?

tigerxj

My dad told me a story about his and my mom's honeymoon cruise on Carnival in either the late 80s or early 90s (they were married a few years before they could afford it). Anyways, he said that he entered a skeet shooting (or clay pigeons) competition. They went to the back of the boat, where carnival had a trap, and they launched the clays off the stern. With the carnival supplied shotguns and ammo, the comp was to see who could bust the most clays.

Has anyone heard of carnival doing this in the past? I understand why they don't now, but it would be badass to shoot skeet off the back of a moving ship!

My dad told me a story about his and my mom's honeymoon cruise on Carnival in either the late 80s or early 90s (they were married a few years before they could afford it). Anyways, he said that he entered a skeet shooting (or clay pigeons) competition. They went to the back of the boat, where carnival had a trap, and they launched the clays off the stern. With the carnival supplied shotguns and ammo, the comp was to see who could bust the most clays.

Has anyone heard of carnival doing this in the past? I understand why they don't now, but it would be badass to shoot skeet off the back of a moving ship!

Yep those were the days.

You used to be able to drive golf balls off the ship also. How things change.

As we became more sensitive to the environment, some genius somewhere realized that golf balls are dangerous in the sea becoming lodged in the intestines of fish and other swimming things like sharks, dolphins, and others....DUH!

Skeet shooting cause many problems. The clay pigeons were likewise dangerous to smaller sea life, jellyfish, liviing reefs, etc. And, there were many injuries to passengers and others on the ship itself.

We used to do a lot of things, taken as common place, that were detrimental. Thankfully, we are getting smarter every year...

OMG I just LOL'd... skeet means something COMPLETELY different to my generation.. look the definition up at urbandictionary.com

I am your generation, I'm 25. I know what you mean. Though I have a balcony, I'm not planning on shooting any skeet off the ship:D

As we became more sensitive to the environment' date=' some genius somewhere realized that golf balls are dangerous in the sea becoming lodged in the intestines of fish and other swimming things like sharks, dolphins, and others....DUH!

Skeet shooting cause many problems. The clay pigeons were likewise dangerous to smaller sea life, jellyfish, liviing reefs, etc. And, there were many injuries to passengers and others on the ship itself.

We used to do a lot of things, taken as common place, that were detrimental. Thankfully, we are getting smarter every year...[/quote']

The clays are only harmful to sea-life if you miss!

But I totally understand, esp now that guns are so taboo, unfortunately, esp in a mass transit situation like a cruise ship.

The first cruise wifie and I took was on the company;s 3rd ship. Named the Carnival in 1979, we watched the skeet shooting from the rear of the boat, it did happen

I think you might still be able to do both, but certainly not on Carnival.

For skeet, instead of lead shot they would need to use steel and the pigeons would have to be made of something biodegradable - I would think some sort of compressed dried fish food would be fine.

Same thing for golf balls - would have to be biodegradable.

As we became more sensitive to the environment' date=' some genius somewhere realized that golf balls are dangerous in the sea becoming lodged in the intestines of fish and other swimming things like sharks, dolphins, and others....DUH!

We used to do a lot of things, taken as common place, that were detrimental. Thankfully, we are getting smarter every year...[/quote']

Please explain how many passengers and others on the ship were injured from skeet shooting....:confused:

May we also have some proof to support that....

Id definitely love to try my hand at skeet on a ship....

Too bad they probably wouldn't let me bring my Benelli SuperSport... even if they did still offer it.

Oh, and I am "Your" generation at 28.... and Skeet only means one thing to me and my friends.... Orange Pigeons.

Please explain how many passengers and others on the ship were injured from skeet shooting....:confused:

May we also have some proof to support that....

I HAVE done skeet shooting from a ship. Not for decades, but...

Never saw anyone injured or close to, but...

These days, I am a little hesitant to endorse handing a loaded weapon to a passenger. Heck, i might have reservations about the crew member who might hand it to the passenger.

I HAVE done skeet shooting from a ship. Not for decades, but...

Never saw anyone injured or close to, but...

These days, I am a little hesitant to endorse handing a loaded weapon to a passenger. Heck, i might have reservations about the crew member who might hand it to the passenger.

Used to skeet shoot myself but never from a ship. All gone by the time I started cruising. Never saw anyone hurt (except a tender shoulder after shooting off 100 rounds...lol) from shooting....

As for today doing it off a ship...I think they should with your previous idea of stainless shot and seafood clays do it again. That would be a hoot...

He!!...Why not do a simulator connected with the big screen on deck and really get to laugh our butts off.....;)

While not on Carnival, we did shoot skeet and hit golf balls off the cruise ships we took in the early 80's. Those were the days when they dumped big black bags of garbage off the aft in the early, early morning, leaving a trail of them as we sailed.:eek:

The reason they no longer let passengers hit golf balls off the ship is because they can become lodged in a whale's blow hole.

I know because Kramer did that on Seinfeld one time.

If there isn't a marine biologist around, it can be really bad for the whale. :eek:

Used to skeet shoot myself but never from a ship. All gone by the time I started cruising. Never saw anyone hurt (except a tender shoulder after shooting off 100 rounds...lol) from shooting....

As for today doing it off a ship...I think they should with your previous idea of stainless shot and seafood clays do it again. That would be a hoot...

He!!...Why not do a simulator connected with the big screen on deck and really get to laugh our butts off.....;)

To be technically correct it's called trap shooting or sporting clays. Skeet requires two clay pigeons to be thrown at the same time at different heights in opposite directions.

When I was single shooting 600 rounds a week was the norm. In the years I participated the most serious injury was a bruised shoulder if the gun was not held tight against it.

I watched and participated in shooting clays off the back of the ship when we first started cruising. The officers who conducted the events were very safety conscious and it was a lot of fun.

Archived