did carnival ever have skeet competitions?

tigerxj

Again, we did this on our first 2 '80's cruises. We had the long streamers that unwound as you threw them. Used to look so pretty, with thousands hanging off the boat. Again, very environmentally unfriendly! Those were also the days when visitors were allowed on the boat before sail-away for "personal" bon voyage parties. And you also had a deck chair for the week, with your name on it. (you got to pick out the location) Those were the days!:)

As we became more sensitive to the environment' date=' some genius somewhere realized that golf balls are dangerous in the sea becoming lodged in the intestines of fish and other swimming things like sharks, dolphins, and others....DUH!

Skeet shooting cause many problems. The clay pigeons were likewise dangerous to smaller sea life, jellyfish, liviing reefs, etc. And, there were many injuries to passengers and others on the ship itself.

We used to do a lot of things, taken as common place, that were detrimental. Thankfully, we are getting smarter every year...[/quote']

We get smarter every year? Keep telling yourself that!

I don't know how detrimental skeet shooting was. They clay pigeons are...clay. And for the most part trap/skeet loads are steel, not lead. The cruise ships don't do it anymore, but there is not environmental law against it.

The reason they no longer let passengers hit golf balls off the ship is because they can become lodged in a whale's blow hole.

I know because Kramer did that on Seinfeld one time.

If there isn't a marine biologist around, it can be really bad for the whale. :eek:

The sea was angry that day my friend, like an old man trying to send back soup in a delicatesen!

Again, we did this on our first 2 '80's cruises. We had the long streamers that unwound as you threw them. Used to look so pretty, with thousands hanging off the boat. Again, very environmentally unfriendly! Those were also the days when visitors were allowed on the boat before sail-away for "personal" bon voyage parties. And you also had a deck chair for the week, with your name on it. (you got to pick out the location) Those were the days!:)

Kind of off topic - but we used to live in So Cal and would go down to the Tropicale on Sundays and hang out until they threw us off the ship! Learned about doing that on my very first cruise and very first skeet shooting experience!

My dad told me a story about his and my mom's honeymoon cruise on Carnival in either the late 80s or early 90s (they were married a few years before they could afford it). Anyways, he said that he entered a skeet shooting (or clay pigeons) competition. They went to the back of the boat, where carnival had a trap, and they launched the clays off the stern. With the carnival supplied shotguns and ammo, the comp was to see who could bust the most clays.

Has anyone heard of carnival doing this in the past? I understand why they don't now, but it would be badass to shoot skeet off the back of a moving ship!

We definitely had skeet shooting on a Carnival Fantasy cruise way back in the 80's. Someone in our party participated and did very well. It was fun to watch some of the "contestants". Lol:eek:

Back in the day we did the trap along with golf ball driving. One cruise the crew handed out 100+ kites to fly on the fan tail. Longest lasting would get a bottle of champ. Well it didn't take long for the drinks the trap shooters consumed to take effect and worked hard on downing the kites and golf balls. It was great and every one had a super time. Some kites were still tied to the rail the following day. Period of beer drinking and pillow fight contests.

While we are on the topic of things that they stop doing on cruises. When did they stop throwing confetti off the boat at sail away, like they did on the Love Boat?

Because of the incredible mess and enviromental problems and the costly clean up.

It's different if one ship leaves once a week. It's another thing if dozens of ships leave practically every day.

We get smarter every year? Keep telling yourself that!

I don't know how detrimental skeet shooting was. They clay pigeons are...clay. And for the most part trap/skeet loads are steel, not lead. The cruise ships don't do it anymore, but there is not environmental law against it.

Well, I am at the beginning of my 7th decade, youngster.

I remember when nothing lived in the Delaware river south of the water gap; ground water contamination was common - dumping toxics into the water supply, car and industry pollution kept the air in most places unbreathable and poisonous.

I recall the "govt" spraying the beaches of southern California with different gasses durinig the development stage..unkowingly leaving many people with serious health problems years later. (My sister being one of them...she had part of both lungs removed...years after being exposed).

Fish kills were common along all coasts and most rivers and streams. Signs were posted along most rivers and streams in more populated areas stating "don't eat the fish"...as if anyone would want to eat the mutations that lived in them; 2 headed, terribly deformed.

They used to spray DDT for mosquito control almost everywhere...with children happily playiing in the smoky "fog"....polluting everything and killing animals and people.

Black smoke from the coal mines made Pittsburgh unseeable. Black smoke from train engines covered everything is sight with a greasy, black goo..including the vegetable in your garden and the fruits on your tree and the clothes on your clothesline.

Los Angeles had weeks where you couldn't see a thing and the sky was yellow...the air stunk so bad many wore masks.

It has been so different and is changing every year. Every year we get smarter and smarter.

Now, if we could just wean our politians from lobbyists money, we could make more strides....faster....HA

Archived