Barcelona Hotel - Please help me to select....

ttkh

We'll be staying here also in June for 3 nights prior to our cruise.

What cruise are you taking ? We're on Ruby Princess for Grand Mediterranean. I'm trying to decide between U232 and Tryp Apolo for our 1 night pre-cruise stay.

We are going out on the Liberty of the Seas (Royal) and plan on one-night stay in Barcelona pre-cruise. We are having a tough time picking a hotel because there are 8 of us and we have champagne taste on a beer budget. Some of the prices are high for a hotel, but then again we don't want a flea-bag motel with bed bugs either. I am hoping a choice will be made soon.

I don't want the business district either.

Most of the hotels that have been mentioned here are not available. Many of the "boutique" hotels are small which is another problem. Our ship has 4300 passengers - that is a lot of people to put up for one night (even if only 50% are staying overnight).

Marianna

This is our second stay in Barcelona. We had 3 days last time and did not begin to see enough. This may well be our favorite city in Europe - beating Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome. Last time we stayed at the Colon before the cruise and at the Royal one night after the cruise.

We loved the Colon and have opted to stay there again - this time for 5 days. It is just a few minute walk to the Ramblas and Plaza Catalunya and it felt very safe and was quiet. We loved the morning walk to the Ramblas and market where we enjoyed breakfasts at a variety of places. If you are trying to keep the price down, they have a sister hotel called the Regencia Colon which is just behind the Colon and is a good alternative. We will stay there for the one night after the cruise because we have to catch an early flight.

DW and I will be staying one night post cruise in April at the Colon. In this case, with just one night in town, the Colon is Central to everything we like.

In August we're taking two nieces and staying 2 nights pre-cruise and one night post cruise at the Regina.

We picked the Regina because of the "family room", price (advance online discount) and it is still a very good location.

DW and I will be staying one night post cruise in April at the Colon. In this case, with just one night in town, the Colon is Central to everything we like.

In August we're taking two nieces and staying 2 nights pre-cruise and one night post cruise at the Regina.

We picked the Regina because of the "family room", price (advance online discount) and it is still a very good location.

What about breakfast? Was it included in the room rates? If there was an additional charge what was it? There is a choice of a double room for 124 EU and then a double room with a view for 161 EU. What is the difference between the two rooms that would make 37 EU worth it? :)

Thank you. Marianna

We are going on the Liberty of the Seas April 16 and have the same choices for a family room, although we also have Royal Ramblas on our list. We pretty much have narrowed it down to Royal Ramblas (right on La Ramblas) and Regina. Have you made a decision yet?

My wife and I will be in Barcelona in October for three days pre-cruise. I have been looking at hotel reviews and locations for a month. I would like something central, old restored, fairly quiet and good service. My wife says she onlyl cares that it is inexpensive and clean. I have narrowed it down to the Onix Rambla and the Atrium Palace. I would appreciate your input about the Onix; breakfast nearby, tapas restaurants, any inexpensive places to eat, whatever you can think of.

Thanks!

Captain Ronn (ronn452@aol.com)

Hi Capt.Ronn, On my first visit to Barcelona I actually booked both hotels that you mention. I ended up keeping the OnixRambla mainly because of the lovely street on which it is located. I booked a room facing the street with a small balcony. It was not noisy.The only thing I heard at night was a guitarist playing soft jazz.On my first visit I took the included breakfast because the price was ridiculously low(90e for 2) . On my second visit I did NOT take breakfast and ended up having coffee and fresh chocolate croissants (and fresh orange juice) at various local places. There are also restaurants with breakfast tapas nearby. The street, Rambla Cataluna(NOT the same as Las Ramblas) is a lovely pedestrian boulevard with cafes/bakery, shops etc.

The Atrium Palace might be a 4**** while the Onix is a 3*** but the street on which the Atrium Palace is located is a very busy 4 lane road although still a good central location.

I have not stayed there but have heard good things about the Praktik Rambla which is across the street from the Onix.

It is a tough choice because they are many good hotels (in all price ranges) in Barcelona. We call the Colon our home when in Barcelona because we love the location. We normally pay a few extra Euros to get a nice room facing the Cathdral. This hotel is a very European style hotel which has a different feel then staying in the larger more deluxe hotels.

Hank

I was booked at the:Cuatro Naciones

La Rambla 40, Ciutat Vella

Barcelona, 08002

It was about 94 EU a night including breakfast through booking.com. I don't know if they still have available rooms, we chose a different hotel because of free points, but that was a pretty good one.

Good Luck.

Marianna

I'm still confused as to where to stay for 1 night pre-cruise June 8th-9th. It's just one night and our flight doesn't arrive in Barcelona until after 7PM local time, but a bad hotel the night before the cruise could start things off on a bad note. Every hotel I researched and consider have mostly nice reviews on sites like travelocity and expedia, but it seems they all have at least 1 who had issues. I think I'm down to considering AC Diplomatic, Colon, Tryp Apolo and U232.

What about breakfast? Was it included in the room rates? If there was an additional charge what was it? There is a choice of a double room for 124 EU and then a double room with a view for 161 EU. What is the difference between the two rooms that would make 37 EU worth it? :)

Thank you. Marianna

For breakfast we'll skip the hotel fare and walk about 100 yards to the Santa Caterina Market and have what the locals eat for breakfast. Fresh bread, Iberian ham, spanish omelete, etc. There are two "lunch counter" type restaurants on diagonal corners of the market. It is a beautiful market to visit too, a newer version of the la Boqueria Market found on the Ramblas.

If you are standing out front of the hotel facing the cathedral, go left and walk straight and you'll come right to it.

I'm still confused as to where to stay for 1 night pre-cruise June 8th-9th. It's just one night and our flight doesn't arrive in Barcelona until after 7PM local time, but a bad hotel the night before the cruise could start things off on a bad note. Every hotel I researched and consider have mostly nice reviews on sites like travelocity and expedia, but it seems they all have at least 1 who had issues. I think I'm down to considering AC Diplomatic, Colon, Tryp Apolo and U232.

You are NEVER going to find a review site that doesn't have one bad experience. I would say that if the majority of reviews are good, it's worth going for it. If the majority of the reviews are negative, then you have problems that are not being addressed and are not just the result of unrealistic expectations on the part of one reviewer.

Does anyone have info or ever stayed at the Avenida Palace Hotel? It was suggested by our TA but I have not seen anything about it on these boards.

Back up to the main Spain board and put Avenida Palace in the "search this thread" link and you'll see a bunch of threads that discuss this hotel.

Easy to find cabs down in and around the Plaza area. Whenever you use a cab good idea to write the info down on paper and hand them. I needed it from AP to hotel but when we left for the port, we had a very young cabbie who said he periodically stays with friends in the states for a few week's visit so no language barrier there.

To get an idea of cost, we paid $25 euro for two of us (3 pieces of luggage) to be picked up directly out front our hotel (Jazz) to the port (our terminal was named Palacruceros, or something like that - it was Princess Ruby). If I remember correctly Regina was down on the Ramblas so if anything would be a hair cheaper or in that price range.

Please tell me you liked the Hotel Jazz! We've booked 2 nights there post-cruise as it seemed to earn such praise on Trip Advisor!! It seemed like the location was good too and they had a "triple" which we needed.

Archived