Barcelona Hotel - Please help me to select....

ttkh

We are looking for a hotel that have family room for 4 people (parents and 2 teenagers) to stay for 1 night before the cruise and two night after the cruise. We are down to the followings:

1. Hotel Colon

2. Hotel Regina

3. Hotel Granvia

Which one should I choose in term of convenient to the downtown area, safety, and easy to walk to the metro or HOHO bus.

Thank you for your input.

By this map it appears the Colon is more central to the las Ramblas area, but since we will be making our first trip to Barcelona in Oct I am not qualified to make recommendations. Best thing to do is review each and I am sure others will pop in and offer suggestions and recommendations. The Colon Hotel is #16 on right side of Map, Regina is # 38 & the Granvia is # 13 both near the top of the map.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/hotelmaps/ramblas-hotel-barcelona.html

Being near Las Ramblas is not really important IMO.

That is the most touristy area of the city.

The Colon is right near the main Cathedral.

The other 2 are nearer to the main square,Placa Catalunya. Either place will have easy access to the metro. Placa Catalunya is slightly more central to sightseeing, hoho bus is right there and crossroads of metro/bus lines etc. is right there.

I'd take the one that gave me the most for my money.

Ttkh,

We had difficulty deciding which hotel to book precruise. After reading the reviews from others on the Trip Advisor web site, the decision was easy. Just do a search for Barcelona Hotel reviews and you'll have access to hundreds of opinions.

Good luck.

We were faced with the same question and chose the Regina based on reviews in Trip Advisor and here as well as deals they had for prepaid pricing and multiple night stays. We are staying three nights. You can't be much more central than the Regina. Last summer, when it was just two of us, we stayed at the Silken Gran Hotel and it was a 10-minute walk from Place Catalunya but convenient to the Gaudi houses. I thought that was a great location.

Barcelona is a very easy city for finding taxis.

The big hotels have taxi stands near them and you can also hail them in the street as they are going.

You won't have any trouble finding a taxi at any of the hotels you select. It is a short distance to the port so no worries!!

Regencia ColonC. Sagristans 12-1708002 Barcelona, Spain34-93-3189858

Last summer we stayed at the Regencia Colon which is a sister property to Colon. It is right behind the Colon. We found this to be a very good location. The HoHo bus stop is about a block away and the metro is near.

We did several tours with Spain Day Tours and transfer to the airport. We were very pleased with their service.

Barcelona is a very easy city for finding taxis.

The big hotels have taxi stands near them and you can also hail them in the street as they are going.

You won't have any trouble finding a taxi at any of the hotels you select. It is a short distance to the port so no worries!!

Make sure you make it very clear to the driver that you are going to the cruise ship port and not the AIRPORT. Last time we found ourselves on the way to the airport. Had we not cruised from Barcelona several times and realised very quickly that the taxi driver was not going the right way we would have ended up at BCN. Yelling and pointing at the ships as we passed them by seemed to work well.

My wife and I will be cruising from Barcelona in June. We arrive in Barcelona the evening before the cruise so we need a hotel for 1 night and will likely not be doing much in the way of Barcelona sightseeing. From my online research the U232 hotel looks like a good deal for the money for the one night. Does anyone have any experience there ?

My wife and I will be cruising from Barcelona in June. We arrive in Barcelona the evening before the cruise so we need a hotel for 1 night and will likely not be doing much in the way of Barcelona sightseeing. From my online research the U232 hotel looks like a good deal for the money for the one night. Does anyone have any experience there ?

We'll be staying here also in June for 3 nights prior to our cruise.

I haven't stayed there but it is near 3 really good restaurants:

Paco Meralgo for tapas(they take reservations and are open on Sunday)

Fonda Gaig--traditional wide menu(also take reservations and open on Sunday)

Restaurant Me-interesting mix of Spanish/New Orleans, and Vietnamese as the chef has lived in all 3 places.

Should it be easy to get a cab right out in front of Hotel Regina midday Sunday? Any estimate on cab fare from there to the cruise terminal?

Easy to find cabs down in and around the Plaza area. Whenever you use a cab good idea to write the info down on paper and hand them. I needed it from AP to hotel but when we left for the port, we had a very young cabbie who said he periodically stays with friends in the states for a few week's visit so no language barrier there.

To get an idea of cost, we paid $25 euro for two of us (3 pieces of luggage) to be picked up directly out front our hotel (Jazz) to the port (our terminal was named Palacruceros, or something like that - it was Princess Ruby). If I remember correctly Regina was down on the Ramblas so if anything would be a hair cheaper or in that price range.

i will be flying in 1 day pre cruise staying at the Hilton Diagonal Mar on May 8th leaving on Liberty Of The Seas the next day :)...has anyone stayed at this hotel?..i know its not in the heart of the city,,thats ok :),.,are there any restaurants within walking distance ?..and does any one know if its close to the cruise terminal ?.any info would be great :)

Marcus

Hehehe--I bet you didn't find it funny to go to the wrong

"port"! It is always a good idea to write down your destination in Spanish and just hand it to the driver.

Your hotel can do that for you with no prob!

You always have the best ideas.

I have not stayed at the Hilton Diagonal del Mar because as you say it is not convenient for sightseeing.

According to Google it is about 8+miles from the port.

IF you put the hotel into Google you will see a map. You can use the SEARCH NEARBY function to see restaurants.

I am afraid I don't know any in that area.

It is a tough choice because they are many good hotels (in all price ranges) in Barcelona. We call the Colon our home when in Barcelona because we love the location. We normally pay a few extra Euros to get a nice room facing the Cathdral. This hotel is a very European style hotel which has a different feel then staying in the larger more deluxe hotels.

Hank

i will be flying in 1 day pre cruise staying at the Hilton Diagonal Mar on May 8th leaving on Liberty Of The Seas the next day :)...has anyone stayed at this hotel?..i know its not in the heart of the city,,thats ok :),.,are there any restaurants within walking distance ?..and does any one know if its close to the cruise terminal ?.any info would be great :)

Marcus

After the Century, Oct. 13 was cancelled on day two, they bussed us from Nice to Barcelona (10 hours) and put us up at the Hilton. It is a large, modern, American style hotel with all the amenities you can want. Across the street is a shopping centre with reasonably priced eateries. The hotel is quite far from everything.

Hi All,

We are considering staying at Hotel Rialto in Barcelona for one night. Probably won't do too much sightseeing because we were there on a tour couple of years ago. Does anyone know about this hotel? Thanks for any help.

Marianna

I have no personal knowledge of the Rialto Hotel.

Here are the reviews from Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d231526-Reviews-Rialto_Hotel-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Unless you were in Barcelona for more than 1 week on your tour there is a lot to see and do if you have the energy or interest.

My favorite area in which to stay is above Placa Catalunya, the main square. I like Rambla Catalunya a lovely pedestrian street with cafes/hotels/shops etc. NOT the same as the touristy "las ramblas".

I have stayed twice so far at the Onix Rambla there.

Hehehe--I bet you didn't find it funny to go to the wrong

"port"! It is always a good idea to write down your destination in Spanish and just hand it to the driver.

Your hotel can do that for you with no prob!

I always have my trusty 3 ring binder with all my travel info in it. Included are print-outs with hotel names and addresses, locations of any places we need to meet guides etc for tours, etc...... Believe me it has come in handy more than once (or twice......)

Archived