Egypt - if cancelled port what would happen?

Embracedbylife

We are booked on the May 18 cruise out of Rome on the Star Princess that disembarks from Rome and then one night at sea and 2 days in Egypt then one night at sea and then to Khios, Greece.

My question is - if things get worse in Egypt and Princess decides to cancel the 2 days in Egypt, would they have us out at sea for 2 more days or plan another port of call? Any ideas?

First, much can change between now and May and -- given how important tourism is to Egypt -- I wouldn't start to worry about missing your port call there just yet. Just look how up and down the situation in Tunisia has been in the past couple of weeks, let alone months.

If for some reason Princess has to skip Egypt, I'm sure they will try to replace it with another port (or two). How successful they are in doing so depends on how much advance warning they have.

Given the path of your particular cruise, I'd think that they might try to substitute a port like Cyprus or possibly Crete if absolutely necessary.

There is really no telling what 'might' happen until it does. I am sure Princess will monitor the situation and when they decide, they will update your itinerary if needed. They always keep their passengers safety as a priority. I don't think this is something I have ever read of happening in the past, so any ideas would just be speculation on our part. Good Luck though, I hope things settle down so you can visit Egypt, it is really a wonderful place (normally). ;)

If there are other ports they can make it to and get clearence for the ship to dock, they always try to do their best. Just keep in mind, normally substituting another port at times is difficult at the last minute, but I am sure they will do their best and see what they can come up with if it is necessary. Again, I wish you all the luck on this one, I hope everything calms down in the next few months.

There's no way to predict whether they would cancel the port or what would be substituted. In 2001, we booked a Holy Land cruise that included Egypt and two days in Israel. Because of bombing and stuff in Israel, Princess substituted two days in Istanbul instead. We were already scheduled to go to Rhodes and Ephesus and as it turned out, we had to skip Rhodes due to weather and had more than a day and a half in Ephesus. We absolutely loved Istanbul and were delighted with the substitution, particularly since our cruise fare was reduced because of the itinerary change.

There's no way to predict whether they would cancel the port or what would be substituted. In 2001, we booked a Holy Land cruise that included Egypt and two days in Israel. Because of bombing and stuff in Israel, Princess substituted two days in Istanbul instead. We were already scheduled to go to Rhodes and Ephesus and as it turned out, we had to skip Rhodes due to weather and had more than a day and a half in Ephesus. We absolutely loved Istanbul and were delighted with the substitution, particularly since our cruise fare was reduced because of the itinerary change.

Thanks so much! You answered my questions perfectly!! I'm glad to hear there is the chance of substitution if necessary! :) I just didn't want to spend 4 days at sea if we don't have to - nice to know they make every effort to substitute! Thanks again! :)

And this has to do with the topic at hand how?

First let me start by saying if I had not already booked both cruises within a short time, I would not have scheduled the second. I cruised both the 9 day Bahamas and 12 night Caribbean (Nov 10 and Jan 11, respectively). I have been on roughly 33 cruises so I know good cruises from bad. I have sailed with a number of cruise lines but prefer Celebrity (by far) and, usually, RCCL. With the exception of Captain Rob, who I adored, never again! The food was so bad that we (a party of 7, 3 who had never cruised before) ate in the Windjammer 9 out of 13 nights. It's not just bad in the dining room, it is HORRIBLE. The Windjammer was very good, no lines, hot, fresh food and great service. What the heck? I heard a rumor that RCCL was going to stop dining room service altogether and, indeed, our entire dining section was empty for most of the cruise. We were in a Junior Suite in Nov, which was very nice for two of us, and in a Grand Suite this time (for 3 of us) and it was wonderful. I wrote a 5 page letter to RCCL after the Nov cruise and got a response upon return from this one. Blah, blah. Sorry you were disappointed, etc. I ate at Chops once and was, likewise, disappointed in the meat. It was tough and unchewable. You may say I'm too picky but I expect edible food. Celebrity (as of last time I sailed on Constellation last winter) was wonderful. They served a beef, a chicken and a fish dish every night. EOC gave us pork, more pork, duck and lamb consistently. The fish actually made one of my party sick and two out of three returned theirs because it looked and tasted "funny". Their was always an Indian dish on the menu as a main dish. In desperation I tried it once and it was a dried out old flour pancake with (presumably) cauliflower inside. Note that the Indian, Thai and sushi in the Windjammer is excellent all the time!!! Anyway, beware of the cutbacks and nursing home food. Eat in the Windjammer. Lest you think I am all consumed by food, I hated the lame entertainment too. On the positive side, the pools are nice. One outdoor pool is salt water and cold, another is outside, plain water, and heated beautifully, and the third is in the solarium, heated and salt water.

If there are other ports they can make it to and get clearence for the ship to dock, they always try to do their best. Just keep in mind, normally substituting another port at times is difficult at the last minute.

Since this an ongoing current situation, not something that occurred while the cruise was in progress, Princess can make a decision much closer to the sailing date and still have time to arrange for alternate port(s).

We are booked on the May 18 cruise out of Rome on the Star Princess that disembarks from Rome and then one night at sea and 2 days in Egypt then one night at sea and then to Khios, Greece.

My question is - if things get worse in Egypt and Princess decides to cancel the 2 days in Egypt, would they have us out at sea for 2 more days or plan another port of call? Any ideas?

If Egypt has to be cancelled there is always the possibility of rescheduling your two days into two separate ports of call in Ashdod (Tel Aviv & Jerusalem shorexes) and Haifa (Nazareth and the upper Galilee shorexes), as there are no existing Israeli ports of call on Star's itinerary.

I am surprised that Princess has not explored other southern Turkish ports of call other than Kusadasi (Ephesus).

As others have noted, it is yet a long way off and things can change. Princess will make the decision to select ports of call that ensure the safety of her passengers. Keep monitoring your Personalizer.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived