:) cabin fever has a hold on me

acruisingpeach23

So since I'm stuck in this miserable weather here in lovely staten island, ny and I am having cabin fever :( I would love to know your very first cruise that got you addicted to cruising :)

Mine was July 2009 star princess seattle rt alaska and it set that bar way to high lol :)

So since I'm stuck in this miserable weather here in lovely staten island, ny and I am having cabin fever :( I would love to know your very first cruise that got you addicted to cruising :)

Mine was July 2009 star princess seattle rt alaska and it set that bar way to high lol :)

Mine was the Carnival Mardi Gras and I had to be led screaming and kicking all the way. Who wanted to spend a week on a BOAT? Needless to say almost 100 cruises later............... :D:D:D

Back in 1999 I was a morning DJ for a small radio station when asked by a local TA to host a 10 day cruise through the Panama Canal on the Sun Princess. I remember looking at my wife at the breakfast table on the third day and asking her "can you believe we're her for another week!?!" Even dealing with Hurricane Lenny on that first cruise could not dampen our love for cruising.

Mine was probably a round-trip freighter experience to/from Europe in 1955. One of my Mom's best friends was married to a Norwegian shipping tycoon who owned a fleet of freighters. Two weeks each way in very comfortable accommodations between Newport News and Rotterdam, all meals with the Captain and staff (we ate what they were having which was fish, fish and more fish), and the run of the ship. I was able to go into the engine room, walk along the shaft tunnel, take noon sightings, and anything else I could find to do. A once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Mine was 21 years ago on the Carnival Holiday.Took my 16 year old daughter.Had the cheapest room,with a single bed and a bunk bed above it.Loved it and we both became addicted to cruising.

this is off topic but I see you live on Staten Island.Can you maybe give me an idea of how long it would take to get from the Hampton to the port of Brooklyn on a Sunday morning?We leave out of Brooklyn May 8 and booked the Hampton May 7.We are leaving the car there.

Thanks!

Laura

Mine was back in 1958, when my parents took my sister and self on a cruise from Melbourne to Perth with a 5 day stopover and then back to Melbourne - 14 days in all. It was on one of the coastal ships, MV Kanimbla which plied between Perth and Cairns and took passengers as well as cargo. Back in those days it was a 2 class ship. It was a wonderful trip and I fell in love with not only ships but also the huge ocean.

Jennie

My first cruise was on the original Sun Princess-a very "high density" ship. The food sucked, and they did one more 7 day cruise and sold the ship. The crew did not care about anything.

However, that did not stop us from cruising. We cruised on Bermuda Star, Regent, Seabourn, Silverseas, and Regency.

My first trip on a ship was to and from the USSR in 1971. But I would hardly call that cruising. Our first modern cruise happened in 2008 shortly after I retired We took a 10 day cruise to Mexico. We met a whole bunch of nice people from Northern California and we ended up at Skywalkers most every night until well past midnight. We had a great time. That led to a B2B cruise across the Atlantic and Europe. The rest is history.

We got hooked figuratively and literally on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess in 2006. We got married on-board by the Captain. We agreed that we should try to celebrate our anniversary each year on a cruise. However, we have found that only once a year is not enough. We are trying to limit ourselves to cruising twice a year, but it is tough.

Our first cruise was on the ss Independence around Hawaii in either 1990 or 1991. We could only afford an inside room - we were so naive we paid brochure price and I worked two jobs to pay for it. It has caused a life long addiction and I am sure glad I found you don't have to pay the brochure price.

Pia wow 100 cruises that's wonderful :) and to think you were so against it at first..

Laura, I'm going to say maybe 4 hours. I know that from staten island its about a 6 hour drive to the hamptons..it could take longer if the belt pkwy is packed with traffic.

Thank you all for helping me along this cabin fever thing! Uhh if I never see snow again it will be to soon lol

Kepp 'em coming :)

My first cruise was in Feb. 2000 on the Sea Princess western Caribbean. My dad had died the year before after a long illness during which I had a baby and got divorced and had to find a job and a place to live. Went with a girlfriend and they had to drag me kicking and screaming (and crying a little) off the ship. I spent the second half of the trip trying to figure out how to raise my kids on a ship while I worked for them. Took the 2 youngest in June 2002 eastern Caribbean. Have waited a long time but sailing Sun. on the Ruby Princess. One day a world cruise,,,,,,,,,,,,I dream.

Carnival Jubilee in 1995. DH was ordered :) by his mother to take me on the cruise (or so he says), and we've cruised every year since.

We keep talking about taking another land vacation but somehow we end up on a ship instead!

In 1988 we had gone through a serious trauma and a dear friend suggested my dh and I go on a cruise to relax and begin to recover. Well we decided to go on the old Norway. We got a great price on an inside room. At the pier we were upgraded to a full suite. When we walked into the cabin I was blown away. The Norway was a beautiful and grand old ship. We absolutely loved our experience and try to cruise once or twice every year on Princess.

I was totally hooked after stepping on the ship for my very first cruise in 1989! Despite having horrible sea sickness for the first 2 days, I still had a fabulous time and those 7 days went by WAY too quickly!

Unfortunately "life happened" and I wasn't able to cruise again for 14 more years, but I've been very blessed since 2003 to be able to take yearly vacations. Hopefully after retirement (if I'm not eating dog food then), I can take several vacations per year. I love land vacations too, so will likely alternate them with cruising.

My first one was a 3-day repositioning cruise on the Star Princess (then in its inaugural season) from LA to Vancouver in 2003. Kind of a short cruise, but fun nonetheless. My parents are experienced cruisers, and go roughly once every 12-18 months (mostly Caribbean, but they've also done several Panama Canal partial transits and a Mexican Riviera or two) but I'm only barely getting to the point where I have both the money and the time to join them. Most of the time when they're cruising I'm the designated dogsitter. Being single and having to pay for double occupancy also makes crusiing a bit more expensive too.

My first cruise or should I say ocean voyage was on the Canberra in 1968 from Vancouver to Port Everglades. I say ocean liners as there were no cruise ships only ocean liners. In this case Canberra was travelling around the world. An inside 4 berth shared cabin cost me $300 Canadian for 17 days.

My next was in 1977 on the Pacific Princess and loved it as I am finishing my 20th in May.

I guess I just love being spoiled

Archived