Please Help Choose a 14 day Itineary

I'm going to post this on a few Europe destination boards since there doesn't appear to be one large Europe forum. If there is a better way to ask these questions, without posting multiple topics, please inform.

Background: Two females. Safety is a concern. I'm not new to cruising, but I am new to cruising Europe. Please help us choose a great 10-14 day itinerary. We will do pre & post stays. Late June, all of July, or early August. My travel partner is new to cruising and she feels this will probably be her one time to visit Europe.

We would like to go Greece unless there is a reason to avoid this area. We're primarily interested in site seeing. We are beach people, but I don't see us spending a great deal of time on the beach this trip.

I've sailed all the mainstream lines (NCL, Princess, HAL, RCL, Carnival, etc...) and have absolutely no preference for line/ship. I am looking for a itinerary first and foremost. Since we have never been to Europe before, we are open to any suggestions.

The itinerary that has caught my attention is the 14 day Norwegian Jade which departs from Venice. Any pros/cons to departing from Venice over other ports? Itinerary includes: Venice, Corfu, Sanotorini, Mykonss, Dubrovnik Croatia, Athens, Izmir Turkey, & Split Croatia.

I also really like HAL's 12 night on the Neiuw. I feel it is a better variety for a first time trip to Europe. Departs from Venice, but returns from Barcelona. However, the flights are outrageous. Has anyone figured out a way to do reasonable flights if you aren't purchasing round trip from the same port? This itinerary includes: Venice, Dubrovnik, Curfo, ARgostoli, Santorini, straight of Messina, Catania, Naples, Rome, Florance, and Barcelona.

I'm open to all others. Which 10-14 day would you choose?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts,

Cheryl :)

To find flights in and out of different cities you need to click on the MULTI CITY option on airline web sites.

This will allow you to book a round trip but to and from different cities. You do NOT book 2 one way tickets!!!!

There is no ONE best option.

Try to decide which ports interest you the most and go with those.

It just happens that Barcelona and Venice are my 2 favorite cities in Europe. Venice is unique stepping back in time to an experience you will have nowhere else!

Barcelona has a combo of old city+vibrant architecture that you won't see anywhere else either!!

Each time I have gone on land vacations to these 2 cities I have felt the need to go back for more!

I would do a review on the Ports you will visit, see which ones appear more interesting to you, also read as much as you can either thruough CC or on the Web on the safety tips for traveling abroad. My DH & I are doing our first TA from Barcelona next Oct, and the Europe Ports of Call section for Barcelona has been extrmely helpful to me.

I'm going to post this on a few Europe destination boards since there doesn't appear to be one large Europe forum. If there is a better way to ask these questions, without posting multiple topics, please inform.

Background: Two females. Safety is a concern. I'm not new to cruising, but I am new to cruising Europe. Please help us choose a great 10-14 day itinerary. We will do pre & post stays. Late June, all of July, or early August. My travel partner is new to cruising and she feels this will probably be her one time to visit Europe.

We would like to go Greece unless there is a reason to avoid this area. We're primarily interested in site seeing. We are beach people, but I don't see us spending a great deal of time on the beach this trip.

I've sailed all the mainstream lines (NCL, Princess, HAL, RCL, Carnival, etc...) and have absolutely no preference for line/ship. I am looking for a itinerary first and foremost. Since we have never been to Europe before, we are open to any suggestions.

The itinerary that has caught my attention is the 14 day Norwegian Jade which departs from Venice. Any pros/cons to departing from Venice over other ports? Itinerary includes: Venice, Corfu, Sanotorini, Mykonss, Dubrovnik Croatia, Athens, Izmir Turkey, & Split Croatia.

I also really like HAL's 12 night on the Neiuw. I feel it is a better variety for a first time trip to Europe. Departs from Venice, but returns from Barcelona. However, the flights are outrageous. Has anyone figured out a way to do reasonable flights if you aren't purchasing round trip from the same port? This itinerary includes: Venice, Dubrovnik, Curfo, ARgostoli, Santorini, straight of Messina, Catania, Naples, Rome, Florance, and Barcelona.

I'm open to all others. Which 10-14 day would you choose?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts,

The problem with choice is there are so many great options. We did the Med on the Norweigan Gem in July from Venice. We saw may of the ports you mention. All are good. I especially liked Santorini, Corfu and Dubrovnik. HAL tends to be more pricey and I like freestyle with NCL.

I do suggest that you do your cruise in other than the high season (summer). We don't mind the heat, since we live in the American South (Georgia), but the crowds are a bit much. You will find many Europeans on your Med cruise, which is not a problem, but they can be a little more rude, especially the Spanish or Germans. However, it is cool meeting people from other countries.

Leaving out of Venice is cool, you can visit Venice for a couple of days, if you haven't been there it is a must. You can find a reasonably priced hotel, just do your research.

If you go to Athens, you may run into strikes, but the Greek island are not a problem.

Thanks for the replies. After much thought, we sacrificed Rome to the lions have decided upon the Ruby Princess, staying 3 nights in Barcelona and 3 nights in Venice. The reverse itinarary worked better in the schedule:

The Ruby Princess Itinerary:

Barcelona, Spain

Monte Carlo, Monaco

Florence, Italy

Rome, Italy

Napels/Capri, Italy

At Sea

Mykonos, Greece

Istanbul, Turkey

Kusadasi, Turkey

Athens, Greece

At Sea

Venice

I don't think we could go wrong with either, but it boiled down to variety. I'll have to hit up Rome for more than 13 hours another time :)

Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies. After much thought, we sacrificed Rome to the lions have decided upon the Ruby Princess, staying 3 nights in Barcelona and 3 nights in Venice. The reverse itinarary worked better in the schedule:

The Ruby Princess Itinerary:

Barcelona, Spain

Monte Carlo, Monaco

Florence, Italy

Rome, Italy

Napels/Capri, Italy

At Sea

Mykonos, Greece

Istanbul, Turkey

Kusadasi, Turkey

Athens, Greece

At Sea

Venice

I don't think we could go wrong with either, but it boiled down to variety. I'll have to hit up Rome for more than 13 hours another time :)

Thanks again!

All these ports are great. I think going to places like Rome and Florence on a cruise are a bit much. Both cities demand more than one day to visit. Since they are some distance from the ports, I suggest taking in the sights closer to the ports, unless you never plan to visit Rome or Florence again.

All these ports are great. I think going to places like Rome and Florence on a cruise are a bit much. Both cities demand more than one day to visit. Since they are some distance from the ports, I suggest taking in the sights closer to the ports, unless you never plan to visit Rome or Florence again.

There is nothing in Civitavecchia and not much in Livorno. I would highly recommend taking trains to both Rome and Florence or even joining a roll call private tour with a good driver guide service. Florence and Rome should be two of the many highlights of this cruise. We did this Grand Med itinerary on Princess and enjoyed trips to both Rome, Florence, and Pisa. If you fall in love with Rome and Florence, even more reason to go back.

Archived