Dress Pants... Help!

Luv2Cruise525

Hey Everyone!

I'm extremely frustrated with finding dress pants! I am 5' 1" and about 90 lbs... yes, I'm pretty tiny! I have trouble finding pants as it is let alone dress pants. Luckily with jeans or cords, they shrink a little and it works out. I know that I can wear a belt but I have tried 00 everywhere... Gap, Express, Limited, Ann Taylor Loft, department stores etc... and they are too big in the waist even for using a belt! I wanted to know if anyone has any other ideas. I found a pair about a year ago at Forever 21 which look very classy and fit like a glove but unfortunately I can't find them again. I'm a college student so I don't have loads of money to spend on pants, but I know they are worth the investment.

Thanks for any and all the advice in advance :)

Does your town have any 'petite" shops? That's where I'd start...and check online for women's petite pants....AND, get to know a tailor! That could be your best option!

I'm small, too (not as tiny as you, tho!!!), and have a hard time finding smaller sizes....seems like the major dept. stores carry size 6 and up...nothing smaller! I, too, use The Loft, Ann Taylor, and Express alot, even tho many of those clothes are too "young" for me....if I search, I can find things to make a complete "mature" outfit!

It's much easier to have the waist taken in, if you can find things that fit everywhere else! Good luck!

You are built like my daughter (actually she is a little shorter at just under 5' feet). If you have a Kohls store nearby try looking there. The Kohls here have decent size petite departments and that is where she has good luck finding clothes.

I truly believe in purchasing good quality pants. They not only look better and hold up better, they are easier to care for. Better quality fabrics just make such a difference.

My advice would be to buy better quality and have them tailored to fit.

I talked my sis into a pair of jeans that cost more than she had ever paid in her life. They had to be taken up a few inches since she is a little short. Now she wants to go back and get them in another color, since she wears them all the time.

Edit to add, I've learned that value isn't just in the price tag. A pair of $100 pants that last and fit and are worn a couple hundred times cost less than the bargain pair that you only wear a few times and then just don't go to them any longer. Put your biggest portion of the wardrobe budget into the basics, fill in with trendy cheap stuff.

I love this post as I have the same problem all the time.

I cannot afford to buy high end pants to fit, I go to second hand stores and pay for dry cleaning. I always told my husband I wish I had the money to start a petite clothing line. Alot of clothing that is geared for petites have styling issues. For example, xs sleeveless top, has huge arm pit holes.

Now if you are petite and tiny why would you need big arm pit holes? DUH! Oh yeah, as for the 90 pds, i was that in my 30's. If it makes you feel better I am over 100 pds now (just) and in my 50's. But I must admit, I do have alot more fashion selections because of it, but still has to be altered. Good Luck!

I agree with getting Chico's travelers. I bought some on Ebay specifically for taking on cruises. Also found some similar on QVC called Citiknits. They both are classy, slinky and dressy. They pack well, no wrinkles. they look good with sparkly tops or other tops as well. I will wear them this time with sparkly top and a black shawl or jacket. I also found some that are capri length and they look sharp too, really slinky.

If you have a consignment shop for ladies where you live, you might try there. We have one that has a whole section for Chico's clothes. They sometimes have dressy jackets and sparkly tanks.

You are way younger than me, but Chico's come in all sizes so you can find them, or something similar. They take up NO space in the suitcase.

I'd not recommend Chicos to a college student. I'm in my late 50's and do shop there on occasion, but I feel the clothing styles are too matronly even at my age. Especially the travelers clothes.

My daughter is a college student and she won't even go into the store with me, she waits outside on the sofa, or we send a text later to meet up.

I'd not recommend Chicos to a college student. I'm in my late 50's and do shop there on occasion, but I feel the clothing styles are too matronly even at my age. Especially the travelers clothes.

My daughter is a college student and she won't even go into the store with me, she waits outside on the sofa, or we send a text later to meet up.

I certainly agree that travelers pants are too mature, but their "Platinum" jeans are not "mom jeans". :)

Possibly so, but she can take a look and see for herself. I was just suggesting. She has options.

Thank you so much, everyone! I knew I could count on CC members to give me the best advice! I am shocked by how many of you took time out of your day to respond to me. I am extremely grateful of your help! I do have an update! My mom went to TJMaxx today and I offically found a pair of black dress pants that fit! They are by New York Fit and fit like a glove (minus the fact that they are super long but I can get them hemmed).

Thanks again!

Thank you so much, everyone! I knew I could count on CC members to give me the best advice! I am shocked by how many of you took time out of your day to respond to me. I am extremely grateful of your help! I do have an update! My mom went to TJMaxx today and I offically found a pair of black dress pants that fit! They are by New York Fit and fit like a glove (minus the fact that they are super long but I can get them hemmed).

Thanks again!

Yay! Have a wonderful cruise!:D

Glad to hear you found something.

I will agree with alot of the previous posters (and Stacey and Clinton of What Not To Wear) - a seamstress can be your best friend. I recently did this and am very happy with all the items I recently purchased for our cruise. Dress Barn was having a wonderful sale (70% off dresses - alot were sun dresses from last season). I found a few that were one size too large for me but as I got the $60.00 dress for $12.00 - spending $10.00 to have it altered more then paid for itself.

Happy cruising.

Linda

You can also have pants taken in at the waist a bit if you need to. My dad once bought my mom a nice pair of work pants from Calvin Klein, he found them on sale and picked them up. Unfortunately, they were too small for my mom, so I tried them on, and they were too big on me. But, as they were nice pants, and it was the last ones available, and they only cost about $12, I went to my wonderful tailor and asked what she could do. She took in the waist and the bum, and now it fits perfectly.

Also, when it comes to a classic like dressy black pants, don't be afraid to spend money. I am right now 25, and when I was 16ish, I bought a pair of dressy black pants for about $300. A lot of money, sure, but my parents gave me the money for half of it. I just got rid of them. The only reason I got rid of them is because I had a recent knee surgery and had to wear a giant knee brace for 2 months, and as I was going on interviews, those were the only pants I had that fit over the brace and looked good with a suit jacket, so some of the screw things that stick out of the brace ended up putting a hole in the pant leg where the knee is. Otherwise, those pants could probably have lasted another 10 years. Even still, I definitely got my money's worth, they held their shape well, never stretched out on me, and always looked really good.

Have you tried online sites? I just received 2 pair of slacks I ordered from Spiegel. I ordered my regular pant size - size 6 - and they both fit perfectly, and don't even need a hem. One is a light grey satin, the other is black satin. I got the boot cut, but they also come in straight leg. They come in sizes 2 and up. They're nice and fitted, not wide-leg.

If you look, go to the "collections" portion, and they are under the Daytime Satin tab.

JCPenney has dress pants for juniors in a brand called Star City. My daughter is 5'2", 105 pounds and she fits them in a size 3 short. She doesn't love them, but she really needed black dress pants, and they were only $14.99. They also come in size one and zero, and their size chart claims that a size zero is a 22"-22.5" waist.

Thanks again!

I found my pants at TJMaxx also. They were $12 in clearance and sooo long (I'm 5'2"). I took them to my dry cleaners and she charged $8 to hem them, so for $20 I got a beautiful pair. They were Michael Kors pants by the way. TJMaxx is my new obsession.

• 3 weeks later...

Luv2Cruise525,

Now that you found a pant you really like, if you are able, it might be a good idea to purchase a few pair in different colors or even black. One can never have too many pair of black pants IMO :)

Kohl's is having sales all the time and discount coupons, maybe you can get an added discount.

Enjoy your new pants.

Cache is another place to try. I am about 107 lb and 5'2. I can find things to fit me at Cache. Although, I usually will have to have the pants hemmed a bit. I just bought a black satin, well made pair with a great fit and feel on sale from $100 marked down to $50. They are straight leg and look great!

I found my pants at TJMaxx also. They were $12 in clearance and sooo long (I'm 5'2"). I took them to my dry cleaners and she charged $8 to hem them, so for $20 I got a beautiful pair. They were Michael Kors pants by the way. TJMaxx is my new obsession.

You have discovered my most favorite store!! It is so much fun to find a wonderful deal there, like you did. Don't forget to check out their shoes and purses. I found a great Michael Kors purse on clearance there.

Do you have a New York & Co near you?..I know they carry short, med and long pants and are nice clothes for youger people...also, there is a Macy's near me that has a large selection of petite's and junior clothing.

Archived