Martini Lovers Only

iramack

Hello,

I will be sailing on Spirit this May, and I have a very oddball question. Having never sailed on a luxury cruise line before, only the better "mass market" ones, my question is as follows:

Do the bars have the larger olives for our fancy Martoonis? All the other ships I have been on (that charge upwards of 7 or 8 dollars for a drink), never seem to have the proper olives, just the puny little ones that they thread onto a stick and that just doesn't do the job. So if anyone here has knowledge of this, I would appreciate the info. If they do not I can always purchase some in Venice and bring on board.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

As to the martini question, I will try to remember (martoonies, remember) our Spirit cruise last fall. As I recall, big olives were served. Also, bleu cheese stuffed or otherwise if you wanted. I occasionally order a Gibson and the onions were readily available. That's about all I remember except they were served promptly and in quantity. Good quality vodka too.:D:D

Blue Cheese Olives!!!!!

A perversion of the sacred drink.

It alters the clean taste and clouds the purity of the drink.

Pimento is the only allowable sruffing.

Good grief.

And that colored liquid served in a martini glass is not a Martini.

I don't know what they are.

I avoid people drinking them

Gramps

Blue Cheese Olives!!!!!

A perversion of the sacred drink.

It alters the clean taste and clouds the purity of the drink.

Pimento is the only allowable sruffing.

Good grief.

And that colored liquid served in a martini glass is not a Martini.

I don't know what they are.

I avoid people drinking them

Gramps

Hi Gramps:

I didn't say I drank them that way.:eek: Just saw other misguided souls doing so.:D I like the pimento version better with just saying the word "vermouth" being plenty. Cheers.

As to the martini question, I will try to remember (martoonies, remember) our Spirit cruise last fall. As I recall, big olives were served. Also, bleu cheese stuffed or otherwise if you wanted. I occasionally order a Gibson and the onions were readily available. That's about all I remember except they were served promptly and in quantity. Good quality vodka too.:D:D

Thanks Jim,

I am relieved that these will be available on board. My favorite pre-dinner drink is a VERY dry Vodka Martini (NO Vermouth) with a bit of olive juice and a couple of nice cannonball olives. I usually alternate between olives and onions as I find them equally delicious !! I can usually get at least three of these polished off before dinner when the Wine conversion usually occurs!! :)

I have always loved traveling with Texans.:D

Thanks Jim,

Californian now living in Texas !! :(

You should come along and we'll see if we can drain all the vodka from the ship.........

Steve

I am one of those perverted people who likes a blue cheese stuffed olive in my martini (gin, not vodka.) And I don't see why anyone should look down their nose at what I put in my drink if it doesn't meet their specifications. Looks like we have another dress code situation on our hands.

I am one of those perverted people who likes a blue cheese stuffed olive in my martini (gin, not vodka.) And I don't see why anyone should look down their nose at what I put in my drink if it doesn't meet their specifications. Looks like we have another dress code situation on our hands.

Thanks, Wripro, thanks. Another"situation" in the making.:D:D:D Hey, they can put malted milk balls in my martinis as long as they keep them coming and do not make me sign a chit for each one.

I'm with you there Martita! A Lemon Drop is wonderful drink although more than one is lethal!!

Wonderful - especially when made with Belvedere and limoncello.

As to gin martinis, I prefer Bombay Sapphire, a teaspoon of dry vermouth and a (lemon) twist. Or better yet, Hendrick's, 1/2 teaspoon of dry vermouth and two slices of cucumber. I've never preferred olives or olive brine or blue cheese in my martinis; however, I'm sure Seabourn would gladly place a lit' bowl of Queen olives in your mini-bar if you so requested. It's all about choice.

By the way, when will Seabourn carry Hendrick's?

Jim,

I agree. In fact, when ordering I ask for a Bombay Sapphire "keep 'em coming" martini, dry with blue cheese stuffed olives.

love them..but only @ home..would not trust enjoying them on cruise..I just might become toooo precious and darling :eek: Lola

love them..but only @ home..would not trust enjoying them on cruise..I just might become toooo precious and darling :eek: Lola

That could never happen!!!

I don't drink martinis, but have had a craving for olives and fortunately have some in the fridge. And now I want some gig ones stuffed with bleu cheese!

That could never happen!!!

I don't drink martinis, but have had a craving for olives and fortunately have some in the fridge. And now I want some gig ones stuffed with bleu cheese!

We prefer stuffing our own..just mix a little cream cheese with the blue..a friend then puts them back in the jar with vermouth..thus..that olive is your breath of vermouth. We have recently discovered olives stuffed with lemon peel..wonderful with the Blue Saffire...my..such an intoxicating topic...it is 24 degrees here in sunny Tucson..so a fun conversation is needed. Our blood is way too thin for this..though I realise that most of you would cherish this temp. My daugther told me that Colorado was a wind chill of 20 below..yesterday I said..yes it is cold her too..45 degrees..she said..Mom...that is t-shirt weather. :p

It's not that we become wiser after a couple of martinis. It's that we no longer care.

Here Here! I could not have said it better myself..............:)

Vermouth Soaked Olives is a GREAT idea........

Archived