Mariner of Seas- Egypt itinerary

bryce125

What a complicated issue! I'm on the Mariner's April 18 cruise which was supposed to call at Alexandria, Egypt. I don't think it will.

The cruise line and my fellow passengers have booked excursions. It will be a lot of work for everyone involved to cancel those excursions and line up new excursions. However, delaying the decision to cancel will make it more of a burden.

If the cruise line cancels the stop in Alexandria they will have to pick another port or ports to visit, those choices could disappoint some of the passengers that have already booked the cruise. The Alexandria port call takes up 5 days of our cruise when you count the time in port and getting to and from this port.

Lots of people have picked this cruise because it is going to Egypt but I don't think that it is a good selling point for people that are considering booking this cruise over another Med. cruise. I would not book a cruise that had an itinerary that included a five day period that was to be determined at the last moment.

I think that RCI will have to make a decision soon if they want to book the unsold cabins.

I'm hoping that Istanbul will be substituted for Alexandria.

The poor Mariner. One of the reasons she was pulled out of California, and a very good one, was because of the dangers of travel in Mexico now.

So she heads to the Med and things erupt over there.

I'm not sure how stable the government will be by summer although it looks like actual cruise calls for most have only been cancelled through the end of March.

Lets hope the Mariner's luck improves!

Voyager70

Please post the link, I couldn't find anything. There are many pages that come up with the search "Mariner Egypt" but I couldn't find anything updating the situation in Egypt.

Thanks

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?pagename=important_updates

Protests in Egypt

February 3, 2011

Royal Caribbean International is closely monitoring the protests currently taking place in Egypt. Royal Caribbean is not scheduled to call on Egypt until April 21, 2011. We will continue to closely monitor the changing situation in Egypt and will contact guests or their travel agents should we make any modifications to upcoming itineraries.

What a complicated issue! I'm on the Mariner's April 18 cruise which was supposed to call at Alexandria, Egypt. I don't think it will.

The cruise line and my fellow passengers have booked excursions. It will be a lot of work for everyone involved to cancel those excursions and line up new excursions. However, delaying the decision to cancel will make it more of a burden.

If the cruise line cancels the stop in Alexandria they will have to pick another port or ports to visit, those choices could disappoint some of the passengers that have already booked the cruise. The Alexandria port call takes up 5 days of our cruise when you count the time in port and getting to and from this port.

Lots of people have picked this cruise because it is going to Egypt but I don't think that it is a good selling point for people that are considering booking this cruise over another Med. cruise. I would not book a cruise that had an itinerary that included a five day period that was to be determined at the last moment.

I think that RCI will have to make a decision soon if they want to book the unsold cabins.

I'm hoping that Istanbul will be substituted for Alexandria.

While I can understand how you feel you have to realize that Egypt is certainly not the place to be. We were there is November and I can tell you even if this ends by March, it will be a long time before visiting Egypt is going to be viable. They are not inclined to clean up and I would expect the streets are going to be littered for a long time. There has been damage to the musuem - when will it reopen? There is bitterness amongst the people again each other, foreigners and the press.

How comfortable do you really think you'll be over the next few months and more importantly, how safe do you truly think you'll be.

Cancelling private tours is not a problem. I assume the don't have to be paid until after - an email cancelling should be all that is required. I know it can be difficult to find new ones in different ports but don't you think you aught to be worrying about your safety first?

Dear friends:

RCCL probably doesn't want to make a decision about Egypt until the last minute probably because it doesn't want people to massively cancel the cruise.

Those cruises to Egypt in the winter and spring months usually have a very large European contingent. In many European countries the cancellation period is 60 days -- we are still within that period.

Also, for EU passengers who book an air/sea package with the cruise line, if the cruise line cancels Egypt before the trip departs, then those passengers must be offered a full refund of the trip and do not necessarily need to accept a substitute port in lieu of a refund.

In any case, my suggestion would be to cancel private tours. If the ship does go to Egypt, then use the ship tours, since those are the only tours that guarantee you will not miss the ship and, in this state of turmoil, I wouldn't chance that with private tours.

Istanbul would be a marvelous substitution for Egypt.

My personal opinion is that I don't see things changing in Egypt for the better in such a short period of time and at this point the cruise line will probably cancel the Egypt call.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived