Did we just make a big mistake?!

gofrancinego

We booked our cruise on Oceania - Insigna a few months ago because we loved the itinerary (and one of our wine clubs is sponsoring the cruise). I've just started reading the boards here on the Cruise Critic....and I'm afraid we may have made a mistake. 1st - we are casual people, we love meeting new people and we have fun doing almost anything. ...from the posts I've just read, the previous passengers seem (for lack of a better word) down right snooty. (Capt didn't remember their name; martini's were too small; bathtub was too deep; string quartet 'didn't measure up' ...wow!...) PLEASE tell me that's not reflective of the majority of Insignia passengers! (Please!! Please!!!) 2nd - should we be worried about staff on the Insignia due to the draw of staff moving to the Marina?? Like I said, we're casual, we don't let much bother us...but we DO want to make sure we have a decent level of service for the amount of $$ we've spent. Help! ....we could use an Oceania Cruise Line mentor if anyone has some advise to offer!

The majority of pax we have met on the multitude of cruises we have been fortunate enough to have taken have been, like in any society, very mixed but on "O" very cosmopolitan.

You have the opportunity of meeting fellow travelers from all over the world, some you will not have anything in common with, others will become life-long friends. (we have a dinner date tomorrow with wonderful friends we met on an excursion from a cruise ship in Costa Rica 12 years ago!)

This site is called, "Cruise Critic," and that is what it is. The majority on this site love "O" but will criticize on occasion!

As I'm currently on Marina witnessing new to Oceania crew members being developed, I would say that you have nothing to worry about.

The philosophy that I am picking up on does not tolerate slackers/poor attitudes, etc. amongst the staff. I don't think you'll have any problems. Staff come and go all of the time so that does not need to be a deciding issue for you.

About the passenger mix...definitely well traveled, but for the most part very pleasant. I'd agree about the general mix. I'd also suggest that there may be a few very positive suprises in store for you in terms of meeting people.

My pattern is to be wary of anyone who starts listing the number of cruises or countries they've been to in the first 3 minutes of a conversation.

The Insignia was my first with Oceania in 2006. I had been on others throughout the years including Regent. I prefer Oceania as compared to the all inclusive types. I was very pleased with my cabin, food and Martini(s).:) I choose my cabin each booking so I am not surprised upon arrival. I only had one martini daily at the happy hour during Trivia so I am not aware that the drinks were petite. Wine pours appear generous. I too have met wonderful people onboard and remain friends with many today. I found the staff to be very attentive to your needs and concerns. Cannot comment on ships tours as I book my own months ahead. Food is great and yes, you will find a meal that isn't to your liking but isn't that anywhere at a restaurant you decide to try? I seldom eat at the Terrace but have and the food is always delicious and you can choose what you want and how much of it. While on vacation, I like to be pampered and served by the staff so I frequent the MDR for my 3 meals unless I am at the specialty restaurant. If you booked a PH, you can be served course by course from any of the specialty restaurants. Room service entrees are also decent. I am not much of a show groupie so cannot comment on the entertainment. The gym is ample and the spa treatments, although expensive are worth the money. You will have a great time.

I understand your concerns but I don't think you have anything to worry about. WE aren't snobs, and I really haven't met any on our various cruises with Oceania (or quite frankly the few times we've been on other cruiselines).

I did hear a report from friends who were with us on our July Norway cruise with O who took an October cruise (also on O) where they met ONE COUPLE who were like what you fear. The odds are pretty good you won't bump into someone like that!

We've never had a problem meeting compatible people on the cruise, and one way to do that is to ask to share a table in the GDR for dinner!

(And try to remember that sometimes what we see in print doesn't have the overtones of a voice ... so you don't necessarily really "hear" what you are reading.)

Regarding your question about remaining staff: the managers of O know that they have to keep up the level of service on the "R" ships rather than only paying attention to Marina. Bear in mind that sometimes there are big crew shifts at one port or another (not necessarily when you board) and there can be a few days of adjustments.

Don't cancel! I'm sure you'll love your cruise. Which is????

Good luck!

Mura

I would go to the Review section & read through the reviews of the ships

Some will be good some not so good but overall I think you have chosen a good cruise line;)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/oceania-cruises/cl/

We have met people on Oceania that we still keep in touch with

There may be the odd snooty person but very very few fit that category

Enjoy the cruise

Hopefully you will be hooked like the rest of us here :D

Lyn

It does not matter what ship you sail on you will find some snobs. It does not matter what tour you go on, you will still find some snobs. Go out and enjoy because they won't and you will have a better trip than them.

Well put and so true!!:)

Don't worry about it.

We have met so many great people through our cruises with Oceania and very few snobs

Oceania delivers what it promises = country club casual and the people are generally relaxed and friendly.

As suggested elect to "dine with a group" on most nights - that way you met lots of new people

Enjoy your cruise

...our first 'O' cruise was on the Regatta a couple of years ago, at that point we were both 'noobies' to cruising as it was only our second cruise. So I didn't make a point of talking about cruises and, as someone else already pointed out, when someone else did, I just politely listened. Most of the people on that cruise were very down to earth with only the odd exception, and those stood out like a veritable sore thumb, so now we find it quite funny to watch snobs in action. On that trip we were in the elevator with another couple and still dressed for our shore excursion when it stopped to let another guest on, he was decked out in obviously very expensive attire and reacted to our presence by staying as far away as he could, all the while literally peering down his nose at us. When he got off on the next stop we all burst out into laughter. We chatted about it over dinner and realized that we all felt quite sorry for the gentleman...

...so please, do go and don't worry about the snobs, and please, do enjoy your selves on one of the best cruise lines afloat - and no, they don't pay us to say nice things about them...lol!

cheers,

the Imagineer

Thank you for the responses & reassurances! I appreciate the fact that there will be the inevitable Snooty Patooty on our cruise (love the story about the well-dressed gentleman in the elevator!), but I'm glad to hear they won't be the majority! We are so looking forward to this cruise - I'm choosing to believe that it will be a fabulous as we are imagining it to be!:)

I hear what you are saying but you are using the wrong term...they aren't snobs they are complainers...you will find them everywhere in life. Nothing and I mean nothing makes them happy. They will always find faults in every situation.

My advice to you, when you come across one...move on. Life is too short.

I hear what you are saying but you are using the wrong term...they aren't snobs they are complainers...you will find them everywhere in life. Nothing and I mean nothing makes them happy. They will always find faults in every situation.

My advice to you, when you come across one...move on. Life is too short.

Ditto, because the vast majority of people are wonderful. We met some very good friends in 2005 on another cruise line. They told us about Oceania and will be taking our 4th Oceania cruise together on the 3/28 crossing.

On 8 Oceania cruises I have never met anyone like you described. I'm sure they exist but they are few in number and it takes very little effort to steer clear of them. You can tell at a glance who is having a good time -- and that feeling is contagious.

We just returned from the Regatta, and the passengers were fun ,down to earth, and interesting.

The group we joined for Trivia enabled us to have a great time.

There was only one gentleman I met that was snobby and complained that the staff didn't provide a proper greeting.

I told him to try Walmart. :D

My husband and I are the typical Seattle sandals-with-socks in Winter couple. We do not like to get fancy when we travel, but we do want comfort in our staterooms, good food and drink, and good service. My husband will not wear a suit or tux to dinner - ever. We have found what we need on Oceania.

I think you can run into snooty people wherever you go, and we just ignore them and gravitate to people who are relaxed and fun. We have really enjoyed the people we have met on our Oceania cruises.

We go on all our vacations with the mindset of having fun and not sweating the small stuff. It works pretty well for us.

NO! You have NOT made a mistake. Those complainers are usually wannabe snobs. And they usually have enough money to book on any cruise line. However, they also wander about on land. Just last week at our favorite restaurant one of these wannabees was at a table next to ours. The couple (mainly the DH) was demanding and waiving to any staff member who was within shouting distance. 2 drinks and 3 dishes were sent back and then they were displeased when courses were not served in a timely manner and one person had hot food while the other person's plate had turned cold. The previous posters are so right. These folks will never be pleased.

They stand out on any cruise ship and by the second day are dining alone. My DH has actually walked over to a table of wannabees and peeled off tips to the gracious wait staff and complimented them on their extreme patience with their clients. (I do love that man.)

But do not despair! You will have no problem finding kind and gracious people who will be delighted to share a table and conversation. With very little effort you can find new friends.

We had cruised HAL until 2 years ago when we were blessed to sail on O (Insignia) for the first time. We thought we had been spoiled on HAL. On O we were given service like we were "Somebodies" and we didn't bother to tell them we were "Nobodies". We will sail Marina in April. We hope that O still hasn't figured out that we are The Clampets of steerage. We can't wait for our next O experience.

Take your cruise with optimisim and then report back to all of us. We would enjoy the observations of fresh vision.

They stand out on any cruise ship and by the second day are dining alone. My DH has actually walked over to a table of wannabees and peeled off tips to the gracious wait staff and complimented them on their extreme patience with their clients. (I do love that man.)]

O lordee, that is just too priceless! I wish I had your DH's nerve!

Mura

There was only one gentleman I met that was snobby and complained that the staff didn't provide a proper greeting.

I told him to try Walmart. :D

I wish I was that quick on my feet to respond like that. Exactly what is a "proper" greeting? Hello is fine with me and it is a two way street.

Any ship is no different than everyday life - you'll likely meet people you really enjoy and a few not so much. That's true of anywhere you might choose to go.

The ships are country club casual and the attitudes tend to follow suit.

I suspect some of the quibbling you read about is more a function of O setting the bar very high but more likely just pet peeves - since the population of potential posters is so large you will hear stuff that you find trivial and worthy of being disregarded, definitely not something to cause concern.

The staff are outstanding and IMO MAKE the cruise line - if you are pleasant with them they will return the favour multiplied over again.

We booked our cruise on Oceania - Insigna a few months ago because we loved the itinerary (and one of our wine clubs is sponsoring the cruise). I've just started reading the boards here on the Cruise Critic....and I'm afraid we may have made a mistake. 1st - we are casual people, we love meeting new people and we have fun doing almost anything. ...from the posts I've just read, the previous passengers seem (for lack of a better word) down right snooty. (Capt didn't remember their name; martini's were too small; bathtub was too deep; string quartet 'didn't measure up' ...wow!...) PLEASE tell me that's not reflective of the majority of Insignia passengers! (Please!! Please!!!) 2nd - should we be worried about staff on the Insignia due to the draw of staff moving to the Marina?? Like I said, we're casual, we don't let much bother us...but we DO want to make sure we have a decent level of service for the amount of $$ we've spent. Help! ....we could use an Oceania Cruise Line mentor if anyone has some advise to offer!

Archived