Did we just make a big mistake?!

gofrancinego

I have been wondering the same thing as the OP did. My husband and I are in education. I'm a teacher, he a custodian. We cruise every year, we don't have kids, so we save for a crusie (OR two a year). I like the look of O. I receive the wonderful cruise books from O, and I think, I would LOVE to try this line! I want to go on our 25th wedding anniversary in 2012. I love small ships.

My biggest question was: Will we fit in? It sounds like people are people... And if you act like an idiot people will avoid you..... Thanks for your posts! It has set my mind at ease too!

Gabrielle

Thank you for the responses & reassurances! I appreciate the fact that there will be the inevitable Snooty Patooty on our cruise (love the story about the well-dressed gentleman in the elevator!), but I'm glad to hear they won't be the majority! We are so looking forward to this cruise - I'm choosing to believe that it will be a fabulous as we are imagining it to be!:)

This is our 3rd time cruising with Oceania. You'll love the Oceania ship. Because it's small, you get a comfortable feeling. It's elegant and yet casual enough to be friendly. The people are quite friendly. We never met snobs but of course there are always "complainers". The staff members have always been charming and attentive.

We love the food in the GDR and dine there when not at a specially restaurant. Sometimes we go up to the buffet to sit outside and get our sushi fix as an appetizer an hour or two before dinner. My husband does not bring a suit and nobody ever wears a tux. Sometimes he does wear a sport jacket just because he feels like it.

I am sure you have chosen wisely and will have a fabulous experience.

We just yesterday returned from our very first O cruise on Insignia and had a wonderful time. Sure, we met a few snooty passengers, but almost everyone was friendly and affable. The service was unparalleled and the food excellent. We are already looking at brochures for the next O cruise. It is different from other cruise lines, but different in a good way. Stop worrying, you will have a great time.

We just returned from the maiden voyage of Marina with ten sea days, so there was lots of time to interact with other passengers. We encountered 99% great, friendly, open, INTERESTING people. Yes, there were a couple of people who would complain "if you hung them with a new rope", as my dad used to say. When we identified those people, we just avoided them the rest of the cruise.

As you can see from my quote above, we're pretty common folk too. And, yes, there were times I felt outclassed. But that was not because of the other people on board, rather because of my own insecurities. O cruisers tend to be well-travelled and knowledgeable, and they are nearly always very polite. So just jump in, enjoy, and soak up the interesting and exciting experiences O's passengers have to share. You won't be sorry.

Kay

If you are on an O cruise you must know you have "arrived" and never will you be outclassed by anyone. If snobs are around please have pity on them as they don't know what they are missing..Casual is the key, smiles are de rigour (sp), and enjoyment is all ours/yours. Love O and by the way another very nice, casual line is Windstar..A different experience but a nice fit for anyone who wants style, class and memorable experiences. :cool:

If you watch the excellent interview with Frank Del Rio by Avidcruiser (Ralph Grizzle), you will be struck by the sincerity and humility of the man behind the cruise line. The interview happened during the media/travel agent cruise this past weekend. FDR was obviously busting with pride about Marina, yet he was never boastful or self-congratulatory. He talked about the mood that he wanted to create on his ships and remarked that arrogant was the last thing he would ever want to be associated with Oceania.

I believe that Oceania attracts cruisers who are comfortable in their own skin and who don't use snobbery as a mask for possible insecurities. YMMV.

But every now & again, you will get a touch of attitude on these forums. Ignore it! Take the best and leave the rest. Remember that real life happens on the ships, not here on CC. And real life on Oceania is good. :):)

I believe that Oceania attracts cruisers who are comfortable in their own skin and who don't use snobbery as a mask for possible insecurities. YMMV.

But every now & again, you will get a touch of attitude on these forums. Ignore it! Take the best and leave the rest. Remember that real life happens on the ships, not here on CC. And real life on Oceania is good. :):)

Well said MQ.

Now, I wonder who you meant had a "touch of attitude"?

Surely not me :eek: :D

My experience after 4 O cruises is that the majority of Oceania passengers are very easy going travellers. My most recent sailing, on Marina's maiden voyage, was memorable in more than one way. The " quality" of fellow passengers, if I may use such a term, is in my mind one " benefit " of sailing with Oceania. The lone encounter with snobby passenger was a couple who were first time with Oceania, who knocked Oceania and kept saying it's not as good as another luxury line. Fortunately, the other twenty couples we've met throughout the cruise were all very nice, and that's rather typical .

If you watch the excellent interview with Frank Del Rio by Avidcruiser (Ralph Grizzle), you will be struck by the sincerity and humility of the man behind the cruise line. The interview happened during the media/travel agent cruise this past weekend. FDR was obviously busting with pride about Marina, yet he was never boastful or self-congratulatory. He talked about the mood that he wanted to create on his ships and remarked that arrogant was the last thing he would ever want to be associated with Oceania.

Excellent post, MightyQuinn.

I love you Cruise Critic people! I SO appreciate the stories and feedback and reassurance you've given on my topic! I hope to cross paths with you on an Oceania cruise someday!!!! (please!! May 7 - Athens to Barcelona .... JOIN US!) If you don't join us - I promise to post about all the awesome things we experience on the cruise! Thanks again!

AH you met "the couple". Funny thing is that I'm fairly certain that there is a requirement for one such couple on each cruise - we met said Crystal couple in Italy, another Windstar couple in the Caribbean and then there was the Seabourn couple in Greece.

And yes, it's quite encouraging that virtually every other couple we've met are quite nice, well traveled and quite likable. We've made some very good friends on our cruises. Indeed, we've enjoyed each one more than the one before because we've gotten more and more relaxed. We were perhaps a bit reserved initially because we didn't know what to expect and maybe a bit intimidated - not any more.

The lone encounter with snobby passenger was a couple who were first time with Oceania, who knocked Oceania and kept saying it's not as good as another luxury line. Fortunately, the other twenty couples we've met throughout the cruise were all very nice, and that's rather typical .

We have been on 5 Oceania cruises (and have 4 more booked during the next 11 months). I will not say we have never encountered a "snob", but even those thankfully (extremely) few encounters have usually been manageable by just simply being courteous; or ignoring and not reacting to the snobbery; or plain distancing ourselves from the snob. Rather, we would prefer to focus on the rather large number of people with whom we have had the opportunity to interact on those cruises, who have been delightful travel companions--whether relative strangers or those with whom we have cultured ongoing relationships and with whom we continue to travel on Oceania or in other venues. Life is too short to be angry for long!!!

Wiks:)

Well Oceania is between the "better" level of cruise lines.

The 3 sister ship Regatta, Insigna en Nautica are identical with 680 passengers. In 2009 we had Istanbul - Rome with the Greek Islands on Nautica.

I try to be objective on the comments:

Positive of Oceania

- Overall quality and cleanness of the ships

- Excellent scheduling. Look and compare to others for arr and dpt hours, but also staying days in important ports as Istanbul, St Peterburg etc. Another example compare the ports on the Black sea voy with others. The best choice!

- Excellent fine kitchen with more "expensive" food ingredients as other

- Even a full ship gives never a crowd feeling

- From this year onwards free non alcoholic drinks

- good information reg the port calls. Even a special info desk for the local tourist office at disposal of the passengers not taking ship tours.

The only remarks which are a bit less:

- cabines are excellent but compared to some others slightly smaller. (This has been changed on Marina)

- if there is discrepancy regarding their usual rules or standards (sometimes for real minor items) they can be very bureaucratic! You see 3 officers and the descision comes from Miami! But fortunatly it does not happen often

Don't worry Oceania is a very good choice.

We booked our cruise on Oceania - Insigna a few months ago because we loved the itinerary (and one of our wine clubs is sponsoring the cruise). I've just started reading the boards here on the Cruise Critic....and I'm afraid we may have made a mistake. 1st - we are casual people, we love meeting new people and we have fun doing almost anything. ...from the posts I've just read, the previous passengers seem (for lack of a better word) down right snooty. (Capt didn't remember their name; martini's were too small; bathtub was too deep; string quartet 'didn't measure up' ...wow!...) PLEASE tell me that's not reflective of the majority of Insignia passengers! (Please!! Please!!!) 2nd - should we be worried about staff on the Insignia due to the draw of staff moving to the Marina?? Like I said, we're casual, we don't let much bother us...but we DO want to make sure we have a decent level of service for the amount of $$ we've spent. Help! ....we could use an Oceania Cruise Line mentor if anyone has some advise to offer!

I think you can run into a few snooty passengers on any cruise line. I know we have experienced some couples like that on NCL and HAL.

It has been a few years since we cruised on Oceania but I never felt any snootiness and we are VERY casual people. We have made two cruises on Oceania and have only run into one passenger, at one of the dinner tables, who seemed a little aloof. We experienced only friendliness from all the other passengers we met and we are people who buy our clothes at shops like Kmart. I'd say, don't worry.

Also, since Oceania prides itself on the level of service it gives, I doubt very much that you will have any complaints.

You are going to LOVE the ship, the passengers, and the crew. I wish I could be aboard again.

• 4 weeks later...

We had one great experience with Oceania in '09 that we are hoping to repeat this summer when we go to Alaska.

At the time you make your reservations for the specialty restaurants, you'll be asked if you want to share a table or dine alone. Never having cruised before, we decided to make one of each type of reservation. We so enjoyed our shared table that subsequently every time we ate in a place we had to reserve, we asked to share a table.

If I'm correct, the more recent Oceania brochures display less of the ubiquitous pearls and sweater sets that were in previous years' brochures and the DVD. If you look carefully, you may even see those socks with sandals :)

• 3 weeks later...

We found Oceania thru our Alumni Group and did a Med Cruise on Insignia. It was a great experience. Fun people! We chose to join a larger table at dinner several times and met the most interesting and diverse people. You will have an opportunity to talk to people from all over the world while being treated great. We found the service to be very good, the food excellent, and the size of the ship just to our taste. We joined a group of 6 other people on a tour for Santorini (met on this board). We also shared a cab in Taoromina with a couple we met at dinner and dined with 2 couples we met on board more than once. It was a wonderful vacation and I would go again in a heartbeat. Hope to this year.

If I'm correct, the more recent Oceania brochures display less of the ubiquitous pearls and sweater sets that were in previous years' brochures and the DVD. If you look carefully, you may even see those socks with sandals :)

If I'm not into "socks with sandals", but don't want to go formal, will I still be comfortable in "country club casual," such as a blue blazer, khakis, and loafers with no socks? Just so I am prepared, should I expect to see more "socks with sandals" or more "country club casual" in the evening on a 10-day European cruise?

If I'm not into "socks with sandals", but don't want to go formal, will I still be comfortable in "country club casual," such as a blue blazer, khakis, and loafers with no socks?

You should be fine with that outfit even without the blazer as long as you have a shirt with sleeves & a collar

I did not notice many sandals with socks on our cruises

You should be fine with that outfit even without the blazer as long as you have a shirt with sleeves & a collar

I did not notice many sandals with socks on our cruises

Thanks for the info! Reassuring.

If I'm not into "socks with sandals", but don't want to go formal, will I still be comfortable in "country club casual," such as a blue blazer, khakis, and loafers with no socks?

Country club casual looks like what you see in some of the Oceania pics that have been posted at Flickr. Sounds to me like you'll fit right in.

Cheers

Margaret

Archived