Lets Talk Excursions

Cygneagile

My sisters and I are booked on the Zuiderdam April 12. Since they are not computer savvy, they are asking me to put together some excursions we could take. They are not able to even access the Excursion site. I like the idea of booking beforehand and paying for them before we sail. However, I am reluctant to take on the responsibility of preparing a list of excursion that meet their needs as it relates to length of the excursion, level of walking required, washroom facilities and cost. I have emailed Holland America a list of excursions we would like to take and asked them if the transportation vehicles have washroom. Now I know that they will have to pass that on to the Excursion Companies they used. Can this be easily done once we are on board? Will there be the availability for the excursions? How fast to these excursions fill up?

Most excursions can be booked on the ship....if something is REALLY popular, it may sell out, but they do tend to be the more "active" excursions that take limited # of folks, which doesn't sound like you're looking for.

If you decide to wait, I'd hit the excursion desk soon after boarding to make arrangements. The only downside is you won't be paying in advance...it will go on your ship's bill.

My sisters and I are booked on the Zuiderdam April 12. Since they are not computer savvy' date=' they are asking me to put together some excursions we could take. They are not able to even access the Excursion site. [/font']I like the idea of booking beforehand and paying for them before we sail. However, I am reluctant to take on the responsibility of preparing a list of excursion that meet their needs as it relates to length of the excursion, level of walking required, washroom facilities and cost. I have emailed Holland America a list of excursions we would like to take and asked them if the transportation vehicles have washroom. Now I know that they will have to pass that on to the Excursion Companies they used. Can this be easily done once we are on board? Will there be the availability for the excursions? How fast to these excursions fill up?

It depends on where you are going as to how fast they fill up and how many tour operators there are. Since you are computer savy, if you want, you can print off the shore excursion booklet and then your sisters can review it and choose along with you. The booklet shows the level of walking, everything.

I always print it off - easier for my dh to read and review and decide.:D:D

I feel your pain. I too do the pre-planning for trips with my DH, DB and SIL.

We travel together because we have like interests. I usually choose 2-3 excursions from each port and then email them to all concerned with descriptions from the online brochure. Then we can choose. There is compromise of course and I make it very clear that if they want me to do this, no second guessing.

You might consider printing out the excursion brochure for your cruise and if necessary snail-mailing a copy to each sister.

On long excursions by bus, we have found that the buses usually have washrooms. Many excursions make rest stops too. If this is a necessity for your group, I would call HAL excursions and ask them.

Don't count on the buses having toilets on them. Many of the buses used on tours in the Caribbean don't have them.

We were told on one tour that there would be a restroom on the bus -- Puerto Limon - there wasn't.

Your post reminded me of our tour in Puerto Limon a few weeks ago. The guide acknowledged that there was a toilet on the bus, but he said it was for "number one only" (his words) and even then, only for emergencies. :D

I remember saying to my cousin that after that speech, it would feel like the walk of shame for someone to get up and head toward the toilet.

Thank you for your input. And so right, on our excursion via Alexandria to Cairo for the Pyramids in 2009 the toilet was under the seats at the side exist. The first one to go was noted as mentioned. However, the toilet would not flush and since it was a holding tank it should have been cleaned out while we were touring on foot and having our lunch. It was very bad on a trip back to the ship. But you survived the smell. I have emailed HAL about the washroom facilities on the excursions we are interested in. They, in turn, are going to have to approach the Excursion companies to find out. They really should make it clear in the information about the excursions. Some clearly state no facilities other do not say anything.

I have pulled out 2 or 3 excursions, from each port, and emailed them to my sisters. Since our excursions are mostly touring the islands I believe we may wait until we get on board. The only one we really want to see is the Panama Canal one. And if one of my sister can not make it on the little boat because no washroom, then she will have to make other arrangements. I do not see why my other sister and I should forgo what we want to see because of her. In addition, because taking the cruise from the ship is so safe, she can easily take one that will suit her needs. Fortunately, we have that understanding. I always curtail my liquids before a long trip. That helps. LOL…. Since we do not sail until April 12, I believe I can wait a few weeks for reply from HAL.

......... I always curtail my liquids before a long trip. That helps. LOL…. Since we do not sail until April 12' date=' I believe I can wait a few weeks for reply from HAL[/size']. [/font][/font]

Smart choice. This makes a lot of sense for those with these bathroom concerns. Does your sister follow that good advice too? Should be a rule No coffee the morning of the excursion, or at least no more than one cup early enough that it can work through you before you depart. There are ordinary liquids and there are diuretic liquids. Pays to know the difference when doing this level of detail in excursion planning. Good for you and best wishes trying to make everyone happy.

Archived