personal hygiene should be enforced

above sea level cruiser

While I do not frequent the ladies bathroom, I am told that there are, unfortunately, some similarities in what I have observed. That is, one's inability to operate the complicated water system in the bathrooms.

I would hazard a guess that at least 2% of the world are pigs.........that is to say that while on a cruise, in a hotel, at home, walking down the street, reaching out to shake your hand, there will be a few people that don't wash there hands after visiting the litrine. While my numbers may not be scientific, or even acurate, I offer the following: (maybe the perpertrator or his parents may even stumble across this)

I was on a cruise 2 weeks ago and on the first formal night, had to use the bathroom between courses. There was this kid with about 45 pounds of red hair on his head (roughly 12-14 years old) that just came out of a stall (thinkin #2 here not #1) (like THAT makes a difference at his age), then proceeds to walk right past the 5 sinks and soap right out the door.

I almost puked and felt the sudden urge to follow him to his table where I might explain (complain) to his parents that they owned a pig. I did nothing. Went back to my spot in the DR and continued with my meal.

This was a 14 day cruise and low and behold on the NEXT formal night I again visit the facilities and once again, BIG RED comes out of the stall, blows right past me and the sinks/soap dispensers and into the ship at large.

There should be a machine that scans your hand as you reach for the door to see if it has been washed. No wash, no open. NO WONDER we all have problems with NORO. There should be a little box on the boarding pass to indicate that you KNOW how to wash your hands.

Last year on my cruise we had the good fortune one night to sit at dinner with a lovely family. The wife was a doctor and we got to talking b/c I am a nurse. She was telling us how on their POA trip her husband got noro on the second to last day. He was very sick and they had to rent a hotel after disembarkation and fly home one day later.

She never got sick and said one of the things she attributes this to is the fact that as inconvenient as it is she NEVER uses the public restrooms on the ship. She only uses her cabin. Her husband, like mine and many others I'm sure, throws caution to the wind and always uses the closest most convenient....

Not sure how practical this really is but it sure beats possibly contracting noro or at least reduces one's risk.:rolleyes:

It's not just men, but a lot of women have terrible hygiene. Just the other day, I was at the airport and was in the ladies room when a worker came out of the stall and didn't wash her hands. I followed her out and she started serving coffee out of one of those kiosks. Disgusting!!!!

Last week I came out of the stall at the same time as a teenage girl, at Walmart. She walked over the sink turned on the water rinsed her hands, turned it off dried them and left. I was stunned what the hell did she think splashing water on her hands would do? ever hear of soap????

I always use a towel to open the door, even my boys grab the towel to open the door. I also never touch the toilet. I make sure I use the paper liner that goes on the seat. My hubby calls it the ass gasket! haha

It's not just men, but a lot of women have terrible hygiene. Just the other day, I was at the airport and was in the ladies room when a worker came out of the stall and didn't wash her hands. I followed her out and she started serving coffee out of one of those kiosks. Disgusting!!!!

My Coworker never washes her hands after using the bathroom, let alone any other time. Totally disgusting. She wonders why I NEVER participate in the pot lucks. :eek:

On cruises I have seen people not wash their hands and it just baffles me.

My DH thinks I'm a nut when we eat at the buffet on the ship, because once I get my food I run to the ladies room and wash my hands. I would rather have cold food than eat after using all the utensils after the pigs have touched them.

Toni

Aside from people not washing their hands both at work and on vacations... the other thing that really bugs me is the infrequent use of the bathrooms on the pool deck.

I mean, really? NOBODY needs to go to the bathroom when they're at the pool?

That irks me.

...and so, how would you go about enforcing this???

I carry a bottle of hand sanitizer and paper wipes with me whenever I'm in a public area and might need to use public facilities. The sinks, faucets, hand dryers, etc., are as germ-ridden as the rest of the place! I use the hand sanitizer and forego the germy sinks.

I carry a bottle of hand sanitizer and paper wipes with me whenever I'm in a public area and might need to use public facilities. The sinks, faucets, hand dryers, etc., are as germ-ridden as the rest of the place! I use the hand sanitizer and forego the germy sinks.

There should be a machine that scans your hand as you reach for the door to see if it has been washed. No wash, no open. NO WONDER we all have problems with NORO. There should be a little box on the boarding pass to indicate that you KNOW how to wash your hands. :rolleyes: I am obviously being faceitous.....enforcement lies within. No amount of typing on these boards will change anything. Pigs will be pigs:confused:.

my DD got me this little rubber holder for the small hand sanitizer from bath and body works, this seems like the best thing to do. ;)

Aside from people not washing their hands both at work and on vacations... the other thing that really bugs me is the infrequent use of the bathrooms on the pool deck.

I mean, really? NOBODY needs to go to the bathroom when they're at the pool?

That irks me.

THEY are using the bathroom. yucky...need the change color stuff in the pool. :eek:

I am one. I have always noticed on longer cruises older ladies do Not wash their hands in ladies rooms. Noro is from fecal matter.So I decided to just use my stateroom facilities on last TA in Spring. No Noro. Did 8 nites post cruise in Italy. My BF and I both got samomella from eggs at hotel.Cannot win.

my DD got me this little rubber holder for the small hand sanitizer from bath and body works, this seems like the best thing to do. ;)

I bought one for myself, my husband and our son! I am not going to let others people's grossness ruin my vacation!

Archived