Same Old East/West Caribbean Itinerary

lgonquin

You see Coco Cay instead of San Juan as an improvement and I see it exactly the other way around. I do not like having a forced beach day. At a regular port of call those who want to go to the beach can and those of us who don't can do other things.

I live on the beach. The last thing I want is to go on vacation and be forced onto the beach.

I'll take your house on the beach and force you to take my vacations.:)

I consider when I go on my cruise it is my beach vacation. Instead of a week in Florida, I take a cruise instead. I didn't mind going to the same beach, day and day, year and year when I went to Florida every year, so it doesn't bother me to go to the same ports because I am going on a cruise for the fun of the cruise and also the beach. I don't care if I am at the same beach, because I'm there for the beach and not a cultural experience. So I mix it up. Some years I go on a cruise and some years I go on a land vacation and some years I do both:D.

I'm just plain tired of the Caribbean. I wish they would mix it up and some more "exotic" or just different ports.

How about some more Central America ports? Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua? The Belize/Roatan cruises are hitting a bit of that area and those countries aren't the cleanest/nicest countries in the world.

How about Dominican Republic? I mean, you stop right there at Labadee...just keep going.

So many other small islands just a hop away from San Juan....

We really like RCL and won't try another line (tried NCL and were depressed)....so I guess some of those islands will be weekend getaway trips.

There are always people that will be unhappy no matter what ports there are:rolleyes:......there are also people who look for any excuse possible why NOT to do something instead of why TO DO something. If you really wanted to sail Oasis/Allure I doubt that the ports of call are what is truly stopping you as the ship is the really what's the "destination".

I agree. Those ships are the destination themselves. I don't care where they cruise. Also, IMHO, if you have seen one eastern island, you have seen them all. Same with western. Diamonds International Del Sol, Senor Frogs, etc.

We went on the Ruby Princess last year (10 days) so we could go to additional ports. I really don't want to see St. Thomas again. I could do San Martine(?sp) one more time, but have pretty much seen that already. I did enjoy Seranade this Dec., but would not have gone if we hadn't gotten cheap airfare out of Chicago (it was a shocker to find that!). I am diamond, and I do like RCL, but I will probably cruise on another line next time just to get some different ports. I can't get excited about going to the same places over and over..but I do understand some people like to do this and count on the sameness.

I completely agree! Hubby and I will be looking to sail on some other lines soon just to be able to have new places to see. We don't have much of a choice out of Florida. Wish RCI would do a 10 day out of Florida to go to more southern Caribbean destinations.

Add me to the list of those who wish there were more choices in the summer. Even though I have kids, and we all like Royal, I would love to try some of Holland America's ports. Unfortunately, they do not sail from Florida in the summer. I too wish royal would offer a longer cruise with more exciting destinations in the summer. Why not go to south america in the summer from Florida? No one offers that. I myself would love to see the Incan ruins.

It's a change from the dump San Juan!

WHAT!? :eek:

San Juan is BY FAR the best port of call we've ever experienced! From the moment you enter San Juan Bay, you know its going to be a treat. The historical architecture, shops, restaurants, museums just in Old San Juan are like nothing found anywhere in the Caribbean. Its true that these afternoon stops with just a few hours prevent cruisers from enjoying other attractions like the beaches, rainforest, and caverns, but even with a limited amount of time (and by doing some homework BEFORE sailing there), anybody can make this stop a memorable one. We also did a 5pm to 12am stop on the Carnival Liberty. We started by doing a walking tour of Old San Juan, followed by some wonderful shopping. Then we made a stop at the historical Hotel El Convento for drinks, followed by dinner in the trendy SoFo area at The Parrot Club, and we ended the night listening to a local band at the patio of the Sheraton across the street from the cruise terminal before going back to the ship. Truly a memorable experience...!

I try to make sure I go somewhere different on each cruise. Ports are the most important factor to me when booking a cruise. I wish royal did a hawaii islands cruise out of hawaii too, instead of just NCL (which I don't want to go on). Oh well I still have lots of different ports to explore that Royal Caribbean goes to. So I won't be bored anytime soon.

Check the Radiance of the Seas for their April 2012 cruise.

There are always people that will be unhappy no matter what ports there are:rolleyes:......there are also people who look for any excuse possible why NOT to do something instead of why TO DO something. If you really wanted to sail Oasis/Allure I doubt that the ports of call are what is truly stopping you as the ship is the really what's the "destination".

Gotta agree here. Being on the ship is what I like, it could go out and do circles the entire time for all I care.

WHAT!? :eek:

San Juan is BY FAR the best port of call we've ever experienced! From the moment you enter San Juan Bay, you know its going to be a treat. The historical architecture, shops, restaurants, museums just in Old San Juan are like nothing found anywhere in the Caribbean. Its true that these afternoon stops with just a few hours prevent cruisers from enjoying other attractions like the beaches, rainforest, and caverns, but even with a limited amount of time (and by doing some homework BEFORE sailing there), anybody can make this stop a memorable one. We also did a 5pm to 12am stop on the Carnival Liberty. We started by doing a walking tour of Old San Juan, followed by some wonderful shopping. Then we made a stop at the historical Hotel El Convento for drinks, followed by dinner in the trendy SoFo area at The Parrot Club, and we ended the night listening to a local band at the patio of the Sheraton across the street from the cruise terminal before going back to the ship. Truly a memorable experience...!

Got to agree....I didn't understand that post on San Juan being a dump at all....San Juan is a port stop we have very much enjoyed.

NCL does a 10 day Southern Caribbean out of Miami. It goes as follows:

Miami

at Sea

Samana

Tortola

St Martin

Antigua

Barbados

St Kitts

at Sea

at Sea

Miami

I like RCI best, but we did a cruise on NCL last year and liked it pretty well, so we booked another for 2012. It beats going out of San Juan and the prices were really good.

Romandog, that 10day southern caribbean itinerary looks nice!
We live between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, and being a family of 4 it's nice not to have to pay flights to cruise. But it does get a little dull going to the same eastern, western ports from here. In July '09 we did fly to San Juan, got there a day earlier than our cruise date (following the great advice & tips on these boards). We had a lovely night and half day on our own in San Juan, then sailed RCI Adventure of the Seas on their 7 night Southern Caribbean route: Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Croix. Only St. Maarten was a repeat for us, and we loved these islands! St. Lucia looks like a hawaiian island, lush, volcanic, craggy coves & cliffs. Barbados & Antigua had gorgeous beaches. They were all beautiful. The only thing I can say is that it was a very full itinerary with the 5 port stops, but it worked for us. You just have to explore your options a bit, and then hit these boards for the best advice and tips. These boards have DEFINITELY made my excursion choices the best!

[quote name='lgonquin']Is anyone else getting tired of the same old offerings in the Caribbean? I understand the fact that RCI built the biggest ships afloat and they are stuck going to particular islands capable of handling that sized vessel.
But how about switching up some of the itineraries for the other ships (Freedom & Voyager class specifically) sailing from the states.
West: Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel.....
East: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten.....
I'm particularly frustrated with Spring break and summer time itineraries. Feeling locked in:confused:
I hate to say it, but some of the East/West offerings from Princess out of FL look a bit more interesting.[/quote]

I agree that the options with RCI are quite limited. I wish they would offer more southern carib cruises out of a Florida port instead of San Juan.

[quote name='bajathree']Not much different out of Tampa.[/quote]

Funny you should mention it. That is the only route that keeps me focused on RCL right now.

Considering it when they reposition the Mariner to that route.

Anyone been on that route and what did you think?

Thanks for the input.

[quote name='klingoncruiser']It won't be much longer and we will have our wish. Once Cuba comes open, watch the ports change quickly. Wonder how long it will take for us to get tired of Cuba?:rolleyes:[/quote]

You bring up an interesting point. If the issue is between the US and Cuba, why don't ships of international registry stop in Cuba? As I understand it, Cube still has hotels/resorts (non US operated) and people from other parts of the world travel there. Why are ships any different?

[quote name='lgonquin']You bring up an interesting point. If the issue is between the US and Cuba, why don't ships of international registry stop in Cuba? As I understand it, Cube still has hotels/resorts (non US operated) and people from other parts of the world travel there. Why are ships any different?[/quote]

As I understand it, it would still be illegal for American to step foot into Cuba even if a non US ship were to call there.

[quote name='lgonquin']You bring up an interesting point. If the issue is between the US and Cuba, why don't ships of international registry stop in Cuba? As I understand it, Cube still has hotels/resorts (non US operated) and people from other parts of the world travel there. Why are ships any different?[/QUOTE]

Because our government uses us as pawns in their little political game and deems it illegal for us to go to Cuba. It makes no difference where the ship is registered. As for cruise ships, they can go there but they are not going to go there from the US when 3/4 of the passengers aboard would not be able to legally embark.

I can just see it, when the ship returns to the US instead of lines of taxis waiting to take people to the airport there would be lines of police cars and paddywagons lined up to take people to jail. At least the transfer would be free.

Unless things change, I will likely be testing the waters of other cruise lines in the near future. The only cruises left on my Caribbean checklist that RCL offers are the one I already have booked (Aruba/Curacao/St Kitts) and Belize/Roatan. In order to see Grand Turk, Tortola, etc I'll have to look elsewhere.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']Because our government uses us as pawns in their little political game and deems it illegal for us to go to Cuba. It makes no difference where the ship is registered. As for cruise ships, they can go there but they are not going to go there from the US when 3/4 of the passengers aboard would not be able to legally embark.

I can just see it, when the ship returns to the US instead of lines of taxis waiting to take people to the airport there would be lines of police cars and paddywagons lined up to take people to jail. At least the transfer would be free.[/quote]

Something for freeeee!!! ;)

[quote name='lgonquin']You bring up an interesting point. If the issue is between the US and Cuba, why don't ships of international registry stop in Cuba? As I understand it, Cube still has hotels/resorts (non US operated) and people from other parts of the world travel there. Why are ships any different?[/QUOTE]

There are at least three ships currently calling at Havana, Cuba.
Two British ships, the Thomson Dream and Braemar each have three or four calls there this season.
The Spanish ship Gemini actually homeports in Havana for weekly cruises around the Western Caribbean until the end of April,
However, none of them call at a US port,consequently.

Archived