Cruising from New Jersey in winter?

gottacruisemore

I will be booking my first X cruise soon and am trying to decide between the Equinox and the Silhouette. I will be going for a Feb. 2012 sailing and FLL offers immediately warmer weather than Chicago and simple packing. And while no one can predict the weather, this year's winter makes me seriously think about flying from Chicago to N.J. But my main concern is clothing and outdoor space usability. Has anyone done this itinerary (on a different ship, of course)? How many days at sea before the weather warms up?

I will be booking my first X cruise soon and am trying to decide between the Equinox and the Silhouette. I will be going for a Feb. 2012 sailing and FLL offers immediately warmer weather than Chicago and simple packing. And while no one can predict the weather, this year's winter makes me seriously think about flying from Chicago to N.J. But my main concern is clothing and outdoor space usability. Has anyone done this itinerary (on a different ship, of course)? How many days at sea before the weather warms up?

We sailed on the QM2 from NY to the Caribbean roundtrip in mid December. It was cold, wet, and very windy when we left and as we sailed down the eastern seaboard, but the weather turned warmer as soon as we reached the waters off Florida (two days).

We have cruised out of NJ in the winter a few times. We always reached warmer temps mid day the second full day. Of course that's assuming the temps are warm down South. The first day is spent inside at various activities. When we took the Constellation where they have the indoor solarium and T-pool, we spent the first day relaxing there. The Atlantic is also a lot rougher most the time than the Caribbean so keep that in mind if you're prone to seasickness.

we did a 12 nighter out of baltimore on a much smaller ship, mercury, and you really don't need to overpack the winter clothes, the arriving day, everyone's in jeans and wearing their winter jackets. once onboard, the jackets are replaced by hoodies. the next day everyone is in sandals and capris reguardless of the weather, unless they are at the solarium pool where they are relaxing in their swim wear with an umbrella drink in hand...

have a wonderful feb. cruise :)

thanks for the replies. it's good to know i would not have to pack a lot of winter wear. no balcony time for about four days total isn't bad.

is the solarium on the "s" class ships enclosed?

Yes, it is.

We did spend time on our verandah on the way out. We were on the Port side and weren't affected by the winds blowing out of the West.

As a fellow Chicagoan I would recommend doing Equinox if sailing in February. While Silhouette is newer and has a couple different venues, this ships are fairly similar. Why spend four days in cold weather when you could sail on a similar ship from Ft. Lauderdale? The Caribbean cruises on Silhouette are great for those living in the Northeast (who can avoid flying down to Florida for such a cruise) but if you do not live in the northeast IMHO is makes little sense to fly to New Jersey to do a Caribbean cruise.

As a fellow Chicagoan I would recommend doing Equinox if sailing in February. While Silhouette is newer and has a couple different venues, this ships are fairly similar. Why spend four days in cold weather when you could sail on a similar ship from Ft. Lauderdale? The Caribbean cruises on Silhouette are great for those living in the Northeast (who can avoid flying down to Florida for such a cruise) but if you do not live in the northeast IMHO is makes little sense to fly to New Jersey to do a Caribbean cruise.

I agree, however, isn't Silhouette 12 nights and Equinox 7 nights? If so, I'd rather do 12 nights on a ship, even if a day or two coming and going is cool. You're still on vacation!

As a fellow Chicagoan I would recommend doing Equinox if sailing in February. While Silhouette is newer and has a couple different venues, this ships are fairly similar. Why spend four days in cold weather when you could sail on a similar ship from Ft. Lauderdale? The Caribbean cruises on Silhouette are great for those living in the Northeast (who can avoid flying down to Florida for such a cruise) but if you do not live in the northeast IMHO it makes little sense to fly to New Jersey to do a Caribbean cruise.

Unless perhaps you like extra days at sea, as many do.

I agree, however, isn't Silhouette 12 nights and Equinox 7 nights? If so, I'd rather do 12 nights on a ship, even if a day or two coming and going is cool. You're still on vacation!

Equinox is 10 nights. i was considering Silhouette because i would get the 12 night ititnerary and i believe this ship has Qsine. but i would prefer to leave from florida, so ii looks like i will miss out on Qsine this time around.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO gottacruisemore: You should go on the Silhouette. The cruise from FLL will be a shorter cruise. Also, the Silhouette will be a different ship than the Equinox. The weather in NJ will not be that bad. You may have snow at the worst. I have cruised out of NY on the QM2 last Nov. The weather on board the ship will be cool the first few days. Stay inside. Then it will warm up and on your way back to Bayonne stay inside. It did snow when we were passing North Carolina on the return to NY on the QM2.

Whichever trip you decide on choose wisely. Either one has certain advantages and disadvantages. Truth time, I am going on the Silhouette later this year.

We have had the worst winter in years in New Jersey with many flight delays and cancellations. I would never cruise from NJ in the winter. Too cold and too risky. Go to Florida. Warm weather will be with you as soon as you get off the plane. Flying down myself in April.

We have had the worst winter in years in New Jersey with many flight delays and cancellations. I would never cruise from NJ in the winter. Too cold and too risky. Go to Florida. Warm weather will be with you as soon as you get off the plane. Flying down myself in April.

Since you live in New Jersey, I would say your risk is much less cruising out of New Jersey than flying to Florida. Do you know how many people were stranded in New Jersey after Christmas trying to get back to Florida? Some people were stranded at airports for 3-4 days.

I agree I don't think I'd actually fly to New Jersey to cruise in the winter, but living in New Jersey, your risk of driving to the port is a lot less than flying to Florida if a storm hits the Northeast.

In order to have the full length vacation you'd get with Silhouette, fly into Florida 3 nights early and spend some time on South Beach, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale - all three are great locations to spend a few days in winter time to get away from the miserable Chicago cold. Qsine sounds like a fun venue, but the specialty restaurants on Equinox are all quite good.

In winter, I fly to San Juan. The weather is warm from the start. Florida can often be cold...and New Jersey is frozen. I know I live there. New Jersey is fine in late spring and summer. Staring in NJ, you will be cold for days in both directions. I wouldn't do it....and could be at the dock in less than 2 hours.

Equinox has 10 and 11 night itineraries. So only 1 or 2 days

less. After this winter and all the airport closings, I personally

wouldn't chance it. Have been on cool weather cruises, and

for me, give me the warm weather. I cruise to get out of the

bad weather. I would fly down a couple days ahead of time,

and get out your flip flops and shorts and start your vacation.

Archived