For the clueless, Like me RE: future cruise deposit

B&J1

So, I tried to book a cruise today with an online TA using a deposit for a future cruise that I had purchased on our last cruise with RCI. Well, unbeknownst to me, whomever that cruise was booked with ( the cruise you are on when making the future cruise deposit), the booking automatically goes to that TA.....which is different from the one I was going to book with today. Go figure :confused: So, I found out that I must request that TA #1 release the deposit to me via fax to RCI inorder for TA#2 to use it. I spoke with TA#1 this AM, but management doesn't work on Sunday so I have to call back tomorrow. TA#1 did say however, it is not their policy to release any bookings.....I thought it was my money. :confused:

I would have used TA#1 if they could have matched TA#2's price but they couldn't....the difference was $190 pp.

So, the lesson learned for those of us that are not cruise veterans. If you make a deposit for a next cruise, make sure RCI doesn't assign it to your current TA if there's a chance you may want to use a different TA for your next RCI cruise. Hopefully, this will be a non-issue come tomorrow. Everybody cross your fingers for me. :)

So, I tried to book a cruise today with an online TA using a deposit for a future cruise that I had purchased on our last cruise with RCI. Well, unbeknownst to me, whomever that cruise was booked with ( the cruise you are on when making the future cruise deposit), the booking automatically goes to that TA.....which is different from the one I was going to book with today. Go figure :confused: So, I found out that I must request that TA #1 release the deposit to me via fax to RCI inorder for TA#2 to use it. I spoke with TA#1 this AM, but management doesn't work on Sunday so I have to call back tomorrow. TA#1 did say however, it is not their policy to release any bookings.....I thought it was my money. :confused:

I would have used TA#1 if they could have matched TA#2's price but they couldn't....the difference was $190 pp.

So, the lesson learned for those of us that are not cruise veterans. If you make a deposit for a next cruise, make sure RCI doesn't assign it to your current TA if there's a chance you may want to use a different TA for your next RCI cruise. Hopefully, this will be a non-issue come tomorrow. Everybody cross your fingers for me. :)

Ask TA#2 if they have put you into a group booking. That's the only way that they can legitimately offer you a lower price.

There may be no problem with being in a group booking, but it *can* occasionally cause difficulties.

Good luck getting whatever it is you want.

B&J1.....the loyalty embassador should have seen that your current booking was through a TA and questioned whether you would be using them again. She obviously overlooked this while making the booking. And you simply didnt realize this due to your excitement of booking another cruise. It understandable.

I was lucky enough to remember this the last time I did a next booking. I always try to book my own and hold on to the booking until I am sure I will be sailing and then turn it over to a TA which does require a request for RC to then release it to the TA. Just the opposite of what you need to do. But I do like to be in control of my own booking.

DonnaK...I mostly agree with you. Last minute I see if a TA can do anthing for me , otherwise I hold on to it myself.

Good Luck, I can't imagine a TA not releasing a booking when they know the client doesn't want to use them.

I bought one of those too, and didnt plan on using that TA again either. Boy was I surprised to find out RCL, without asking me, put it in the name of the TA. Really .. you would think they would ask??

Seems wrong to me.

I think RCI policy should change..When you're the one onboard making a booking, that booking should be "yours" until "you" decide what and when to do something with it !!!! The LA should be required to go over even the smallest details with you and ask questions that you may not have thought of...Like "Do you want ownership of this booking until you decide what you want ?" and "Do you want the deposit charged to the same credit card we have on file for the cruise you are on now ?" "Or another card of your choice" !!!

I used TA's for my first two cruises, then just started doing it myself. It's really not much effort, and I'd rather save the money and be in control of my own destiny. Also, with the TA's I never heard about price reductions or got any OBC's. I'm way better off doing it myself. The price on my next cruise has dropped hundreds of dollars, and I have almost $500 in OBC from different things. :cool:

It IS your money. I'd be raising holy hell, and I certainly wouldn't use that TA ever again. But I can be edgy when it comes to these things. :o

It IS your money. I'd be raising holy hell, and I certainly wouldn't use that TA ever again. But I can be edgy when it comes to these things. :o

If TA#1 releases it w/o any hassel....no harm/no foul. But if they give me a hard time then I may be a little....harsh let say. It would be foolish for them not to release it, why jepordize future comissions for 1 guaranteed cruise. It will certainly be my last with them if they hassle me.

I always try to book my own and hold on to the booking until I am sure I will be sailing and then turn it over to a TA which does require a request for RC to then release it to the TA.

I have always done my own booking, but I was thinking of going this route for my next cruise if I could find a TA who would give me some benefits. But I wanted to hold onto control of the reservation until close to the cruise.

Unfortunately, I have read that they are now "enforcing" the 60 day limit explained in the following FAQ from the RC website:

Q: Can I transfer my reservation to a travel agent if I purchased my cruise directly from Royal Caribbean? s.gif A: Bookings may be transferred to a Travel Agent up until 60 days from creation if the request is made outside of Final Payment period and the booking is not paid in full.

We booked a future cruise with a deposit on the Allure. The form we completed had a line that asked specifically if you wanted it to go to the Travel Agent they have on file (which is the one you booked your last cruise with). I was not happy with the TA I used and even if I was, I didn't want to get locked in with someone that could be far out in the future depending on when I booked my next cruise. On the form

in the boldest X I could checked no, and also wrote on the bottom NO Travel agent, so that no mistake could be made.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I don't understand why they don't ask, they just assume. I hated the TA that they put on the certificate. They did nothing for me. I was able to get them to release it. I hope you have luck getting it released.

If TA#1 releases it w/o any hassel....no harm/no foul. But if they give me a hard time then I may be a little....harsh let say. It would be foolish for them not to release it, why jepordize future comissions for 1 guaranteed cruise. It will certainly be my last with them if they hassle me.

Exactly. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

On the form you fill out for these, there is a question at the bottom asking if you want it with your TA. If you select yes, it goes to your TA...if you select NO, it stays direct. Rest assured, there is no incentive to send it to your TA if you want it booked direct. I think it is an often overlooked question and perhaps could be better placed on the form.

Now, if you have a copy of the form where you selected NO and they still put it with your TA in error, I would be faxing that to Loyalty to get it fixed.

Don't forget about the new policy which started last October, you now only have 60 days to transfer to a TA after booking with RCI.

From Royal's site Q: Can I transfer my reservation to a travel agent if I purchased my cruise directly from Royal Caribbean? A: Bookings may be transferred to a Travel Agent up until 60 days from creation if the request is made outside of Final Payment period and the booking is not paid in full.

TA#1 didn't hassle me at all....said they'd fax over the release to RCI today :D So, I guess I'll use TA#1 again when they have a good deal. thx for all the imput folks. Appears to be a happy ending as long as I get the cruise for the price I saw yeasterday...TA#1's price is now $280 pp higher than TA#2.:eek:

I had the same exact thing happen to me when I booked a cruise onboard a while back. The travel agent I used for the current cruise was not the one I wanted to use for the upcomming cruise. I called the loyality department and explained the situation that I did not request that travel agent be the booking agent. Within a day they changed the booking to my name and then I transfered the booking to the alternate agency that had a group booking available.

Now whenever I book on board I verify that I am the holder of the booking until I decide who to transfer it to.

On my last cruise in December I purchased two next cruise certificates (since they are now combinable) and I was told the 60 day clock doesn't start until you actually book a specific ship and date. Does this agree with what others have been advised?

Archived