No more free water in MDR's of Costa ships?

Capricruiser

I am presently on board the Costa Romantica on day 3 of a 14 day cruise in the Indian Ocean. The first evening at dinner in the MDR, along with other table companions, we ordered jugs of tap water instead of bottled and our waiter immediately brought them. Last evening, he appologetically advised us that tap water was no longer possible. After dinner I approached one of the maitre's to complain and he told me word had come from higher up to serve only pay-for bottled water, and suggested while he didn't approve it, I should complain to the Customer Service because he couldn't do anything.

This morning Customer Service verified to me that a directive had gone out yesterday from Costa headquarters in Genoa stopping the free water in the ship's MDR's.

Not only does this new policy make it appear that Costa is out to rake in more money by selling bottled water to thirsty passengers, but it goes against the tendancy in Italian homes in recent years to drink tap water instead of bottled. For cruises how many times have we seen dozens of plastic covered pallots of water sitting on a dock under the sun while waiting to be carted aboard? How many thousands of kilometers had that water travelled to meet the ship, and under what conditions?

I think Costa has definitely made a bad move here which will only make many unhappy passengers and give certain CC members more negative material to use in bashing Costa. Not good!

Chuck, I wouldn't read too much into that. There could be a problem with getting drinking water supplies or a problem with the last delivery.

On Allegra last year we had a similar problem, it was down to a load of water from a port call that was salty instead of fresh(it was in Cochin with us)...a mistake was made in the port and it wasn't til people started to drink it that the mistake was realised.

It is there fore completely possible that the wrong type of water has been loaded into the drinking water tanks and thus they have stopped serving it til the tanks can be emptied, scrubbed and refilled at another port of call.

Capricruiser,

I really feel sorry for you, I'm at home and can drink as much tap water as I want while you have to putup with 14 days on a cruise ship visiting all those exotic places like the Seychelles.:D

It's a sad day for Costa, monetary wise the amount involved is probably not so much, but the environmental impact will be far greater by increaing carbon emissions with more plastics bottles having to be produsced, far larger quantities being transports and far more plastic bottles ending up in the sea.

So much for Costa's hipe about being "environment, safety and social accountability policies and safeguarding the marine ecoregions"

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB/Corporate/Best4/homepage.htm

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB/Corporate/wwf/default.htm

From the first link "The B.E.S.T. 4 epitomises the modern vision of the enterprise, which broadens the concepts of "excellent management" and "wealth creation", adding to their traditional economic connotations the capacity of the company to fit into the social and environmental context in which it operates."

This says it all "wealth creation".

The slogan should be changed from "Costa B.E.S.T. 4" to "Costa GOOD 4 NOTHING".

Ron

There is no good reason for costa to refuse people water apart from blatant money making! All cruise ships have Desalination plants and create their own Drinking water so any nonsense about having filled tanks from land containing Salt is total Nonsense... more a case of the Desal plant having broken down.

Lets face it you can fill up an empty water bottle in your room and place it in the fridge to cool it, then take it to the MDR, be interesting to see what was said about it ?

We have a cruise booked for xmas this year with costa and the more we hear about the goings on the more we are inclined to cancel.

Capri cruiser .... it would be good if you could keep us updated on this issue.

Kerry and Dave.

There is no good reason for costa to refuse people water apart from blatant money making! All cruise ships have Desalination plants and create their own Drinking water so any nonsense about having filled tanks from land containing Salt is total Nonsense... more a case of the Desal plant having broken down.

Lets face it you can fill up an empty water bottle in your room and place it in the fridge to cool it, then take it to the MDR, be interesting to see what was said about it ?

We have a cruise booked for xmas this year with costa and the more we hear about the goings on the more we are inclined to cancel.

Capri cruiser .... it would be good if you could keep us updated on this issue.

Kerry and Dave.

Actually, the salt water was put into Allegra's tanks last year...I tasted it, as did everyone else.

The older/smaller ships (such as Allegra, Marina, Romantica & Classica) have no effective desalination plant fitted for drinking water, least not to the standard that Deliziosa and the newer ships have, so the older ships have to have their drinking water delivered via barges in ports of call.

The barges in Cochin delivered salt water instead of fresh water...it was a basic mistake that is quite common and not easy to remedy since unlike the ballast tanks on a ship, the drinking water tanks have no outside pipework through which it can be drained. It takes an empty barge alongside to pump it out, then the tank to be cleaned out and then refilled with fresh water.

So it is not nonsense at all....and as Ibizasue stated, she was aboard a Carnival ship and the same thing happened to her too.

Mistakes do happen and since salt water is not drinkable, the bottled water is provided at cost...just as we had on Allegra last year for the couple days that the drinking water tanks were contaminated.

i had a similar problem on allegra last year. the waiter was hesitant to bring a pitcher of tap water.

well, the 2nd night i brought my own, large glass of ice water (i always travel with a large plastic glass). every night following that, a pitcher was on the table.

i had a similar problem on allegra last year. the waiter was hesitant to bring a pitcher of tap water.

well, the 2nd night i brought my own, large glass of ice water (i always travel with a large plastic glass). every night following that, a pitcher was on the table.

I'll have to try that wioth a beer glass on our next cruise.:rolleyes:

Ron

I have booked a Cruise on the Costa Classica for April, Singapore to Shanghai. It will be the first time on a Costa ship. So far I have experienced Carnival, NCL & RCCL.

I read many negative things about Costa and their arrogant attitude. This might be the reason for canceling the cruise, or should I just not tip.

I also have to check into Visa requirements... maybe I just do another Transatlantic on RCCL, save me Visa hassle and Costa hassle.

The only thing I can say is that I was told it's a directive from headquarters for all the Costa ships. Perhaps someone else is presently aboard another ship that can relate something? I'll also say I've not experienced any rude attitudes, on the contrary all the staff members I approached were sympathetic with the problem and apologetic that they were helpless to do anything. I'm aware that other passengers have also complained and that the hotel staff have forwarded the complaints to Genoa. Let's see what happens.

Capricruiser .... Maybe you could try with other passengers taking a glass from your room filled with water to the MDR ? i am waiting for my TA to get back to me regarding this issue, she has contacted costa who have yet to reply ! .... :eek:

I have booked a Cruise on the Costa Classica for April, Singapore to Shanghai. It will be the first time on a Costa ship. So far I have experienced Carnival, NCL & RCCL.

I read many negative things about Costa and their arrogant attitude. This might be the reason for canceling the cruise, or should I just not tip.

I also have to check into Visa requirements... maybe I just do another Transatlantic on RCCL, save me Visa hassle and Costa hassle.

i did the reverse itinerary in 2009. the only visa i had to obtain on my own was china. it was expensive. the rest were obtained on the ship for vietnam, hong, taiwan and japan.

please don't stiff the servers. they are just following orders. take your own water with you.

I'll try bringing a bottle filled with tap water into the MDR tonight.

Regarding the cruise, we've had a lot of cloudy weather and some rain but tomorrow morning we'll arrive at Mahe. The ship and staff are fine. No problems aside from the water issue which is really no big thing to me because I drink wine at dinner, but many others prefer only water. We'll see.

Costa when in Australian waters would be required by State law to make available free drinking water on request in all food and beverage outlets .

If the wrong water is loaded or desal plants break down then any reasonable Company for PR reasons should provide free bottle water in the MDR .

Here is the reply from Costa in the UK today regarding our booked cruise in December from Savona.

You can try Costa if you want but Hayley at Costa did advise me that you will get tap water and I have put this in the notes. If you do want to just try them their number is 0xxxxxxxxxxx but she has assured me you will get it.

So it may be worth printing this out and taking it to the customer services to see what they have to say !

Well I shall be on Costa Victoria for 22 days in a few weeks time...will see what is available on her by way of drinking water. Although, tbh, I tend to have Pink Panther's at mealtimes and during the day rather than water :o

I don't anticipate water being unavailable unless there is a problem with the desalination plant or fresh water deliveries in Argentina, Uruguay or Brazil.

This evening I carried my bottle of tap water into the MDR in open view and placed it on the table in front of me. The waiter simply opened it and poured it into my glass without a word. So much for that test.

Beachbrat: Don't give negative reviews much credence. The cruise so far has been fine and the food is very good. Last night I had an excellent roast veal and some of my table companions had grilled jumbo shrimp. Tonight was tender leg of lamb or quail and a fish dish. Nothing to complain about. The animation team aboard is very active and the passengers seem to be having fun. Tomorrow morning we arrive at Mahe, Seychelles.

Sidari. Customer Services insist it's a directive directly from Genoa to all ships. Mybe the UK office hasn't got the word yet?

If you want to really throw the waiter ask for iced tea. :) Last year on the Pacifica I asked for iced tea with my meal. I did get it. In fact DD and I shared an entire pitcher. (Yes, it was free) My waiter confessed it was the first time he had ever made tea. I did give him some pointers because he made it way too strong with way too much lemon.

Archived