Men's Opinion Please....Too corny?

lhershbe8881

Thirty years ago, my husband and I were married and took a Eastern Carribean cruise for our honeymoon aboard the Carnival Festival (that really dates us!). Our ports were St. Thomas, Nassau and Puerto Rico. We were 21 years old, broke, very naive and actually drank our first glass of wine on that cruise! While pulling into in St. Thomas, heaven treated us to a double rainbow that arced over the island in welcome. We took an excursion to Trunk Bay on the island of St. John. This was several hurricanes ago and when the beach was rated one of the top ten most beautiful in the world. It was breathtaking and prisitine. It was something that we have never forgotten. We promised ourselves that we would come back every year to celebrate our anniversary. Well, four kids and lots of trials and tribulations later, we have not been back in all of this time. We have been to Puerto Rico (and have not had the desire to see Nassau) but not St. Thomas or Trunk Bay. We leave in March on the Epic to celebrate our 30th anniversary, and finally we are going to St. Thomas.

My husband is in construction and throughout the years, his wedding band has become bent and distorted. It is gold and the jeweler says he cannot straighten it any more. As an anniversary gift I have purchased a new wedding band for him, definately wider and stronger (and more expensive) than the original. I want to give it to him on Trunk Bay. My kids say that it will embarrass him and that it's not a good idea. They say to give it to him before we leave, but the sentimental side of me wants it to be special and memorable as it will be the ring that he wears for the rest of his life. I will not present it to him in front of people, maybe some private cove on the island, but what do you men think? Is this too personal a thing to do at a public venue (I have no doubt that I will cry like a baby)? Is it too corny? How would you feel if your wife did this?

Thirty years ago, my husband and I were married and took a Eastern Carribean cruise for our honeymoon aboard the Carnival Festival (that really dates us!). Our ports were St. Thomas, Nassau and Puerto Rico. We were 21 years old, broke, very naive and actually drank our first glass of wine on that cruise! While pulling into in St. Thomas, heaven treated us to a double rainbow that arced over the island in welcome. We took an excursion to Trunk Bay on the island of St. John. This was several hurricanes ago and when the beach was rated one of the top ten most beautiful in the world. It was breathtaking and prisitine. It was something that we have never forgotten. We promised ourselves that we would come back every year to celebrate our anniversary. Well, four kids and lots of trials and tribulations later, we have not been back in all of this time. We have been to Puerto Rico (and have not had the desire to see Nassau) but not St. Thomas or Trunk Bay. We leave in March on the Epic to celebrate our 30th aniversary, and finally we are going to St. Thomas.

My husband is in construction and throughout the years, his wedding band has become bent and distorted. It is gold and the jewler says he cannot straighten it any more. As an anniversary gift I have purchased a new wedding band for him, definately wider and stronger than the original. I want to give it to him on Trunk Bay. My kids say that it will embarrass him and that it's not a good idea. They say to give it to him before we leave, but the sentimental side of me wants it to be special and memorable as it will be the ring that he wears for the rest of his life. I will not present it to him in front of people, maybe some private cove on the island, but what do you men think? Is this too personal a thing to do? Is it too corny? How would you feel if your wife did this?

Do what your heart is telling you, your going back to make your anniversary special to you both. I say present the ring at Trunk Bay during at nice dinner. That would make it more special to him and remember them moments longer than say if you just hand it to him at home. ;)

OOPS, missed the fact that you wanted a mans opinion. My husband would love that extra touch. :)

Have a great time on your cruise and second honeymoon :)

Thirty years ago, my husband and I were married and took a Eastern Carribean cruise for our honeymoon aboard the Carnival Festival (that really dates us!). Our ports were St. Thomas, Nassau and Puerto Rico. We were 21 years old, broke, very naive and actually drank our first glass of wine on that cruise! While pulling into in St. Thomas, heaven treated us to a double rainbow that arced over the island in welcome. We took an excursion to Trunk Bay on the island of St. John. This was several hurricanes ago and when the beach was rated one of the top ten most beautiful in the world. It was breathtaking and prisitine. It was something that we have never forgotten. We promised ourselves that we would come back every year to celebrate our anniversary. Well, four kids and lots of trials and tribulations later, we have not been back in all of this time. We have been to Puerto Rico (and have not had the desire to see Nassau) but not St. Thomas or Trunk Bay. We leave in March on the Epic to celebrate our 30th anniversary, and finally we are going to St. Thomas.

My husband is in construction and throughout the years, his wedding band has become bent and distorted. It is gold and the jeweler says he cannot straighten it any more. As an anniversary gift I have purchased a new wedding band for him, definately wider and stronger (and more expensive) than the original. I want to give it to him on Trunk Bay. My kids say that it will embarrass him and that it's not a good idea. They say to give it to him before we leave, but the sentimental side of me wants it to be special and memorable as it will be the ring that he wears for the rest of his life. I will not present it to him in front of people, maybe some private cove on the island, but what do you men think? Is this too personal a thing to do at a public venue (I have no doubt that I will cry like a baby)? Is it too corny? How would you feel if your wife did this?

Well not to dicourage you to much, but I would want to keep my original ring. That is the ring that would mean something to me.

As a married man here is my answer:

Would I be touched if my wife did this? Yes. Would it be a little corny? It may be to some stranger looking on, but to him it probably wouldn't be (heck, for us, corny is part of our relationship dynamic). I, personally, would like it if it were just the two of us (no kids, no family, etc - you know a personal moment).

As a guy, I would love that. I think that the original ring may hold the sentamental value, but if my wife did this, I would put a lot of value on the new ring. And to be honest, I wouldn't care what anyone else thought.

Go for it!

Maybe as a supplemental thing, you could get a men's gold neckchain on which he could wear the original ring.

Now the BIGGEST question.....did you get YOURSELF a new ring too? One of the things about wedding bands, is that they are a set.

I also wonder whether you shouldn't get a new jeweller. Gold is one of the most malleable of metals....reshaping it shouldn't be that difficult, I wouldn't think.

Well, I am a man - and I think it is a good idea. Maybe your husband has a tough exterior from being in construction (My father has been all his life), but I am sure he has a soft spot for something like this. As long as you don't do it in front of people, I say do it!

A great idea. I agree with Tha Cruisa. Find a quiet, out of the way spot if possible.

I'm a man. Great idea. Don't be disappointed if he choses to wear the new ring only when he is not working. Don't worry if he has something planned. If he does it could be at a later time, or he will have time to figure something out on the ship.

I think it would be wonderful. If the kids are teens, sounds like they would be embarrassed. Do it and congratulations. :D:D

Maybe as a supplemental thing, you could get a men's gold neckchain on which he could wear the original ring.

Now the BIGGEST question.....did you get YOURSELF a new ring too? One of the things about wedding bands, is that they are a set.

I also wonder whether you shouldn't get a new jeweller. Gold is one of the most malleable of metals....reshaping it shouldn't be that difficult, I wouldn't think. .

It's true that gold is one of the most malleable of metals, but it also has a 'breaking' point, that is it gets so thin that it can no longer be shaped.

My husband wears a size 18 ring. (He has what I call 'sausage' fingers).

For his wedding band we had to have a size 14 sized up to an 18 since that was the largest ring we could find that we could afford. After 20 years of marriage, weight gains, etc the ring no longer fit. Every jeweller we consulted said the same thing -- it had already been sized/shaped to its extreme. So right now he has no wedding band to wear.

My husband's answer for the OP: do it. Even if he's embarrassed, he'll be touched by the sentiment.

Is he still wearing the old ring (it sounds like no)? If not, maybe consider having the gold from the old ring melted into the new ring. Then it will still be his old ring just strengthened (just like your love and commitment to each other over 30 years!). I did something like this with my husband's ring, and he really appreciated it. :)

Man, married 25 years, more sentimental than wife: do it.

Agree with poster above that anticipates him being a bit embarassed, especially if he hasn't prepped something special for you. I presume you have been helping him "connect the dots" that this itinerary is specifically planned to echo your first together.

Mrs. Q and I "outgrew" our original rings, so for our 25th we bought her an "upgrade" and set her original engagement stone in a new band for me to wear. We're both very happy with the new hardware! Looking forward to celebrating with our Epic cruise this May also.

Archived