Have you purchased your cruise at the pier?

We have heard that people can call and find out if rooms are available and get a room for $100.00 by going to the pier and paying there. They say the cruise lines just want people in the rooms at the last minute, since most people spend money on board. Has anyone done this and how cheap were you able to get a room for?

• 7 months later...

Back in the day, and I think for a few years post 9/11 even I think I hit 5 cruises or so just wandering up to the pier and jumping on the ship, sometimes as the gangplank was being pulled away, sometimes literally running, good times. Usually you displace Carnival employees packed up with their families with the week off hanging around the pier looking to do the same thing. I am guessing they are pretty happy that the homeland deal put a stop to that for obvious reasons.

Prices were awesome, but not a 100 bucks, Id say 400ish ten years ago when even discounted rates were double that. I recall a sweet 10 day thru the Panama Canal on the Holiday I think for 550 out the door. 50 bucks a day around y2K was a steal I thought, we cranked a Volleyball on accident right off the ship in Gatun Lake during a game with employees.

i wonder if you are already on a ship and want to go again in a back to back if they will give you a great price? or if you need to be on list 48hrs prior -give great deal then? anyone knows? thanks

On most cruise lines you will pay the going rate.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Archived