Travel Insurance providers?

sblair

I'm interested in knowing who people use or recommend for good travel insurance?

I don't want individual TA reccommendations, because I've learned that spells instant thread deletion on here with the heavy moderation.

But am hoping that I can at least get some insight as to shopping for good Travel Insurance to compare pricing on for an upcoming RCI cruise.

Thanks.

Scott

Contact your own insurance agent (whomever you have your auto/home insurance through) - this agent might be able to get you a policy and you already have a relationship with the agent and may feel more comfortable taking their advice.

I strongly agree with using the "insuremytrip" website, then comparing prices to see which would fit your needs. BUT I would like to add - once I pick a policy that looks like it would fit my needs - I call the company - after talking to their sales person I will make my decision. If the person is NOT pushy, answers my questions completely, doesn't act bored or uninterested in me as their customer - then I would purchase from them - if not I call the next one on the list.

Contact your own insurance agent (whomever you have your auto/home insurance through) - this agent might be able to get you a policy and you already have a relationship with the agent and may feel more comfortable taking their advice.

That's a good suggestion too. Didn't think about that one!

I use www.squaremouth.com. It is similar to insure my trip. I have used both.

Just another option. You might also check and see what is included with your credit card. Some cover travel.

Also watch for primary vs/ secondary coverage. The policies my appear to be the same and a few dollars difference but one could be primary and another is secondary coverage.

Try AAA, insuremytrip.com, and also your credit card, but be careful with that. Most credit card coverage is not very good, and if you are 65 or over, you may not be covered. Go over the fine print carefully.

You want to make sure you have medical evacuation coverage, which could run you $50,000 if you need it, and as much medical that you can get.

The cruise line insurance usually only covers you for $10,000-$20,000, which is not nearly enough.

Make sure whatever policy you have has medical, cancellation, interruption, trip delay, baggage loss and delay.

I have had to submit a claim myself from my last trip - it's not fun, but I wouldn't want to be on the hook for all of my expenses!!;)

Good for you for purchasing it - smart move. It scares me when people don't get any, especially medical.

Another suggestion would be to look under "Special Interest" on this board. There is a thread there just on trip insurance. If you have a question there are some very informed individuals who can tell you in plain English what the various coverages actually cover.

Sheal

We book through our national travel agent............yes..................a little pricey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but, it covers us from the moment we leave our house, till back home.

It really paid off when we were on a land vacation to Walt Disney World when hurricaine Charlie hit.

We are sold on their package.

Read the fine print who-ever you chose, some are not as comprehensive as you think!!!!

Safe travels.

• 1 month later...

I just spoke with Steve from http://tripinsurancestore.com. I am insuring a cruise to the Holy Land, so I had lots of questions. I was very impressed with his knowledge. He even recommended that I only buy enough insurance to cover my non-refundable airfare expenses now, then increase the coverage just before the final cruise payment is due.

• 5 months later...

Archived