How is OBC divided within the cabin?

parentsof5

The onboard credit is split evenly among the first two individuals on the cabin booking. In the past when I've had 3 or 4 people booked into a cabin, only the first two individuals' accounts received the credit. So if it was $100OBC but 4 people in the room, person #1 & #2 would each receive a credit for $50, but person #3 & #4 would get nothing.

Might depend on the type of OBC. When I cruised with my sis all of the OBC ( mostly from price drops) was applied to my account. I was treating her to the cruise so it really should have all been on my account, but Carnival couldn't have known that.

I did want to share some with her so they made me withdraw cash and hand it to her so she could deposit it on her account.

My obc was credited to my account and my account only even though there was another in my cabin. Don't really understand why it would be split up.:rolleyes:

If it was my husband and I, who are both paying for the cruise (technically ;))I would think we would both get the money. In our case this trip, there are 3 teens who I would like to have access to some of the OBC. But I don't necessarily want them to have access to an equal division or as much as me. :)

My wife & I wrestled for the OBC. She won and got it all.

LOL!

@Iowagirl - Did you do this at guest services? How did you "withdraw" the money?

When I cruised CCL Liberty with my mother, sister and daughter in October 2010, we had $200 OBC from our TA's booking promotion. We also ended up with about $150 OBC from our pre-booked excursion in Grand Cayman which was cancelled due to inclement weather.

All of this OBC went to my name. I had to go to guest services and ask them to split three ways (me, my mother, my sister - not my kid since her S&S was on my credit card anyway!).

So I guess the answer is, it just depends!!

@Iowagirl - Did you do this at guest services? How did you "withdraw" the money?

Yes, at guest services. I had a good sized OBC so I was feeling generous!Seems like I had to fill in a form (something like writing a check) & she handed me the cash & I handed it to my sister. Seemed odd that she couldn't do the transfer thru her computer, but it worked. Maybe she was new!

Is OBC divided equally between the people in the cabin? Can you go to guest services and have it divided differently?

Thanks everyone for all of the help you give!

They assume that people in the cabin are paying together. To make it easy I would put it on one account and then give the others their share. Why would it be divided any other way then evenly between every guest including kids?

This is really a personal decision, never seen a question like this before though. Made me look..............

Our OBC from price drops and Funship Dollars, was all placed in my wifes

name, since her name was first on the booking...which is what we were

told.

We asked could it be split between us and they said no.

For those wondering and before you give us the ":rolleyes:"

we have always done separate S&S accounts. That is our choice

so that we can each monitor the spending on board better.

Everytime I have one it shows up under my name as I am the one doing the booking. I have asked to split it before we sailed, said no. Asked to have it split when I got on board, said no. So I normally just give my roomie 1/2 of the money, no worries when on vacation!!..

Okay, this seems like the same situation I have, but the opposite direction.

I bought a FCC, so on this cruise I'm going to book I will get $100 OBC. I'm going with a friend, who is paying their own way. I don't want to share my FCC OBC b/c.....I paid for it. Its also going to be my bday cruise. Anyway, I want to make sure that all of my FCC OBC goes on my account and not my friends. If we get ES OBC I don't mind splitting it. Anyone done this?

I think it depends on the type of OBC.

When I used my $100 OBC from my FCC, they said I had to split it. Since my son was in my room, I asked her to split it between us. Originally I said I do not want it split, but she said they have to, say I caved and said ok.

Regarding OBC from credit cards or other promotional offers, they have always been credited straight to my name.

OBC from price drops have just been credited to all in the cabin.

Confusing isn't it?

My $100 FCC was split between my roommate and i last year.

I asked to have it all moved to my account as I paid for the certificate and was told 'no'.

The credit was split evenly between the 2 of us, even though there was a 3rd person travelling with us in the cabin.

Thanks, I booked today and had my PVP double check for me and the answer is NO.

He told me to have my friend give me $50......yea right........that would be even more rude. I will already feel bad for asking her to cash out her account, so I can get the $50.

Again, they should realize that not everyone travels with someone they want to split the money with.

• 1 month later...

This is how we ended up handling our OBC. We went to guest services, they put a limit on the teens accounts. Once they hit that limit, they couldn't spend any more, unless I opened more up. The rest was left for us to spend. They did take the tips out of the open amount for all of the kids, not the amount they had been allotted.

We were on the Dream last week. We had 2 cabins (1 for DH and I and one for the kids). We received $75.00 per cabin OBC from our travel agent. All of the OBC showed up on my account, all of the expenses that DH put on his card showed up on my account. We pre-paid all gratuities and shore excursions and all of that showed up on my account. There was nothing on DH or the kids accounts. I did the booking with the travel agent. This was our first cruise. We did not ask to have this set up this way, and we were not asked how we wanted it to be set up (wouldn't have known any different). It was no problems for us, but I would not have wanted it to be this way if I wasn't sharing the room with family.

Could I suggest that if you only pay with for your cruise with one account....say one credit card. The holder of the account would get all the OBC. However, if you and and friend pay your deposit with separate credit cards it probably gets split. This might be why some say that it was all under their name and others say it was split.

Just a thought.

Archived