Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Here's one of the coral maxi-dress with the cardigan off - love this one because we are docked off St. Thomas, this was our favorite day of the cruise, and I am thoroughly enjoying my "Miami Vice" blended drink on our balcony while taking in the beautiful sunset.

157-1.jpg

And DH and I in St. Martin enjoying a day at Orient Beach, whilst trying to suck in our tummies. The one white bathing suit that has worked out ok for me (no see-through issues!)

126-1-1-1.jpg

And the black swimsuit in beautiful St. John...

143-1.jpg

You look great in all your clothes and bathing suits :)

CactusGirly: I love, love, love your photos! The formal dresses, accessories and hair come together beautifully.

The casual outfits couldn't be any better for a tropical cruise. You look like you are having a wonderful time. And you KNOW your clothes look good because you planned outfits in advance:cool:!

If we had a membership card for CCF, you would get a gold star on yours!

OK, it’s taken me over a week (here and there), to make it all the way through this thread, but whew! I finally did it! We are booked for our first cruise in November.

While I wouldn’t consider myself a fashionista so much as an aspiring “perfect packer”, I loved all the photos and super tips in this “pajama party.”

Here are my favs so far:

All the great links to new and exciting clothing sites - so many I haven’t had time to even click on them all, they are all just cut and pasted for later viewing.

The pics - great inspiration! Looking great ladies!

countdown list

tips on what to bring/not bring

fashion party w girlfriends before the final packing

My packing style:

Spreadsheet! - first column with items by category (dresses, shoes, sleeveless tops, jewelry, etc.), columns for each day with breakdown of outfits by time or event (4-5 rows). I usually pack around 1 or 2 theme colors - last trip to Cancun was aqua. Everything has to match or coordinate. After each trip I do a “lessons learned” where I go over the spreadsheet and see what I didn’t wear (um, yeah, and also calculate my % success rate <blushing geek>).

Indiana - I think I have some of the same luggage as you - the Atlantic floral!

We are booked on Oceania - no formal nights - what do you think people will wear at night? We are definitely the change for dinner types.

Has anyone packed for 7 nights carryon? I think that is how I am leaning right now....

Thanks!

Happy KS & Indiana - Thank you for the nice compliments! I was so happy I tried everything on ahead of time & planned as much as I did.

MorganiCat - I was a spreadsheet girl too, and mine seems to match yours (look back through this thread for my name and you will see a photo of it!) so don't be embarassed on this board, there are a lot of us!

I also brought my spreadsheet with me (which was really helpful) to see what I was supposed to be wearing on which night. I deviated a little, but not much. I also came back with a few things unworn and circled them on the spreadsheet so I can be better prepared for our next cruise, which is coming up in a couple months. It will be far less elegant - but the amount of clothes should be about the same.

CactusGirly -

I definitely saw your spreadsheet (read the WHOLE thread :D!) , it is pretty much a flipped version of mine (col and row). I haven't color coded my sections, though - I may give that a try. I also have a section that lists different variations of outfits. I don't necessarily decide what to wear each day in advance, but like to have lots of options planned out. That way I don't miss part of a potential outfit. I did talk to a friend of mine who was laughed at by her family as she gave them all scheduled clothing changes. I thought that was great!

I do have to admit that I have already started my spreadsheet for November, although I hope to drop lots of pounds by then and hopefully will need new clothes before I go!

All my bedrooms are occupied, so my spreadsheet is my cruise room. That way I can drag the whole vacation out as long as possible.

Morganticat: Welcome to CCF! We all aspire to being "perfect packers" and thank you for your comments (including all your "favs") and look forward to learning from your suggestions.

Having never been on Oceania, I can only guess what dinner attire should be. No formal nights....hmmmm. I don't think you could be wrong by wearing country-club-casual. Sundresses; even LBDs should be good as long as you keep accessories more casual than New-Year's-Eve glitzy - not chiffon or long dresses.

Any of the dresses CactusGirly posted would be good on any cruise.

Cactusgirly,

I soooooooo love your dresses and I can only dream to look that good in a swimsuit!!!!!

There isn't enough "suck in the tummy" for me to look even a tiny bit that good!!! ( had too many babies and the tummy will never get that flat again -not even laying down!!);) and plastic surgery isn't an option cuz that would mean that I would have to give up a couple of cruises. So I guess it will always be 1 peice suits and a huge coverup!! LOL

TNGALOHA: I share your swimsuit philosophy! Even though my weight isn't an issue...belly fat IS;). That fat can be played down in a swimsuit that covers my middle.

Two piece swimsuits and bikinis are very attractive on the right body...and CactusGirly, YOU have that body:cool:!

Tomorrow, we fly to Minneapolis. Don't know if a trip to Mall of America (or any shopping) is on the agenda. DH & DDL always lay their version of the cruise newsletter on our bed at night. The next day's activities are listed (just like cruising:cool:).

No tropical outfits in the suitcase, but seeing family is worth a couple of sweaters and pairs of jeans!

Indiana, have a great time in Minnesota. Hopefully you will be able to get to the Mall and do some shopping.

My DD and SIL and their 3 boys are going on our cruise with us in Dec. and she went shopping today at her Dillards Clearance and found 2 really cute dresses to wear on the cruise.

I will try to post them when I figure out how to get it from my phone to the computer. I'm not very computer savy!:(

CactusGirly I loved your photos - and your outfits! Very envious of your coral maxi dress - a color I wish I could wear! Your pre-cruise planning certainly paid off! Thank you too for the wonderful Solstice cruise report on the Celebrity forum! We just got off Equinox so re-lived our cruise experience through your summary and pics!

Things I learned from CCF - spreadsheets are your wardrobe life line - don't leave home without one! I didn't plan by the day but by "outfit options" colour coded by type - complete with accessories - so I had some flexibility depending on my mood - and weather - some days were overcast and showery! Saved me having to think.

Daily pill boxes are invaluable for keeping earrings and smaller items of jewelry organized.

A light pashmina was perfect for the cooler areas of the ship - especially the theatre.

Wristlets were a convenient way to carry sea pass and tuck a lipstick and some kleenexes into for night time dining and strolling

Fashion is fun - wear what you feel most comfortable in - things you enjoy - no one else really cares except you!!

And I confess I really didn't need a lot of what I packed! I only needed two swim suits - fewer T shirts - and could probably have managed with just two pairs of heels for the evenings ..... but practice makes perfect so I will need to book another cruise to get it right!

Thank you Indiana and CCFers for sharing tips and insights and for making the anticipation of cruising so much more fun!

Greetings from Minneapolis! (Ds's computer is different from mine...can't figure how to get my font, etc.....)

Anyway - stopped at Mall of America after the airport, but didn't get to Nordstrom, DH & DS wanted to stop for refreshment, only had 40 minutes and it would have taken me that long to walk to the other end of the mall.

Not to worry, though. My favorite hometown shop is having a Trunk Sale for Joseph Ribkoff (my go-to dress label) on Weds. We'll be home tomorrow (Tues) so I can make the sale!!

Packing will be completed tomorrow, too...but I can switch out a dress in the garment bag if I find a Ribkoff bargain.

I asked DH and DDS this question: "Even though I need NOTHING and am 92% packed, should I go to the Ribkoff Trunk sale?" Bless DH's heart! He said "Go!" and of course, DDL (a world-class shopper and bargain finder in her own right) agreed.

Yay! We have returned home after a delightful visit and a perfect flight (nonstop/left on time/arrived early:)).

The carry-on is perched in the Cruise Room, waiting to be filled. By tomorrow evening, all the luggage will be ready to go. No last minute packing. Even cosmetics, since I have doubles of everything. (We haven't opened our cottage yet. That's where the makeup goes after this cruise.)

I did buy 2 pairs of earrings at Bijoux at the airport. Black & silver dangles to go w/ a formal night dress and fun pink dangles just because they're bright. That store always has a BOGO, so only set me back $10!

Having followed this thread for many months I'm excited for you Indiana......and envious now I just have my cruise memories to live on!

Though now the warm weather fashions are coming into the stores my shopping eyes are roving to make sure I'll be well prepared for the next cruise!

Hope you found a bargain Joseph Ribkoff! The JB boutique on our ship was carrying the new collection at exorbitant prices - the dress I liked was cheaper on line!

Have a wonderful cruise! Looking forward to seeing which outfits make the cut!

Bon Voyage!:)

TNGALOHA: I share your swimsuit philosophy! Even though my weight isn't an issue...belly fat IS;). That fat can be played down in a swimsuit that covers my middle.

Two piece swimsuits and bikinis are very attractive on the right body...and CactusGirly, YOU have that body:cool:!

God Bless You Both! This was my "farewell tour" with my bikinis. :) I know there is a certain age where a woman should cover her mid-section, and I figure it's better to go out on top! So I wore them one last time and then came home and bid them a fond farewell, sat down, and ordered some tankinis for our upcoming cruise. :D

Edited by CactusGirly

Yay! We have returned home after a delightful visit and a perfect flight (nonstop/left on time/arrived early:)).

The carry-on is perched in the Cruise Room, waiting to be filled. By tomorrow evening, all the luggage will be ready to go. No last minute packing. Even cosmetics, since I have doubles of everything. (We haven't opened our cottage yet. That's where the makeup goes after this cruise.)

I did buy 2 pairs of earrings at Bijoux at the airport. Black & silver dangles to go w/ a formal night dress and fun pink dangles just because they're bright. That store always has a BOGO, so only set me back $10!

So excited for you Indiana! Have a great cruise!

CactusGirly I loved your photos - and your outfits! Very envious of your coral maxi dress - a color I wish I could wear! Your pre-cruise planning certainly paid off! Thank you too for the wonderful Solstice cruise report on the Celebrity forum! We just got off Equinox so re-lived our cruise experience through your summary and pics!

And I confess I really didn't need a lot of what I packed! I only needed two swim suits - fewer T shirts - and could probably have managed with just two pairs of heels for the evenings ..... but practice makes perfect so I will need to book another cruise to get it right!

Thank you Indiana and CCFers for sharing tips and insights and for making the anticipation of cruising so much more fun!

Thank you! And l love your suggestion that booking another cruise to practice our fashion planning is a good idea. I wholeheartedly agree. :)

God Bless You Both! This was my "farewell tour" with my bikinis. :) I know there is a certain age where a woman should cover her mid-section, and I figure it's better to go out on top! So I wore them one last time and then came home and bid them a fond farewell, sat down, and ordered some tankinis for our upcoming cruise. :D

CactusGirly, I would say you are still good to go for the bikinis! It isn't so much age as it is how you look in them and you look great! There are many women younger than you who wear them and don't look as good as you do. I do understand where you are coming from, I keep wondering when to "retire" mine, but I just cannot find a one piece that fits well on my long body, and tankinis seem to squeeze my belly in a way that looks worse to me than a bikini. I'm still really slim, but I notice my skin is just looser than it used to be, however when I look at my photos from my last cruise I don't look as bad as I perceived myself to. So I'll keep my bikinis for a few more years.

centralcalicruzer: Photos are one of the best ways to do a little self critiquing. You might say, "Oh boy, THAT outfit does nothing for me...:eek:" or "Wow! I like the way that outfit accentuates my good parts!:cool:"...and hopefully, it's more the second quote than the first!

We take lots of photos while cruising, but have talked to others who take thousands:eek:. With today's cameras, it's easy to delete; so why not keep clicking away!! DH will take "Outfit Photos", they're much more fun on the ship!

The Next Cruise: There are 2 cruises that we are looking at and might/probably will book. The first is late June to Bermuda and New England; the second is next March that goes to Cape Canaveral, Nassau and CocoCay...the Cruise Room is happy when it's filled with clothes and accessories:cool::)!

Edited by indiana71

Today was the Joseph Ribkoff Trunk Sale...and I bought NOTHING:eek:! Not one dress was a Must Have. That's not to say that there weren't beautiful dresses & tops...maybe I'm just shopped out....

So now I can close and zip the suitcases and garment bags, knowing that all outfits have been carefully chosen, tried on (most, more than once), and packed neatly.

Tomorrow is hair cut & color, Mani/Pedi and wax day. I'm a bit nervous about my hair since it's been growing and the color has been done at home. But I'm ready for a professional to work her magic. I'll let you know the results...

centralcalicruzer: Photos are one of the best ways to do a little self critiquing. You might say, "Oh boy, THAT outfit does nothing for me...:eek:" or "Wow! I like the way that outfit accentuates my good parts!:cool:"...and hopefully, it's more the second quote than the first!

Yeah, definitely happier when I see a photo that makes me look really great rather than the other way around, although I've certainly had both! I'm super vain, though, and only post flattering photos of myself on Facebook and other sites but I've got my fair share of photos where I say "what was I thinking?"

Our 2 suitcases weigh 52 pounds each - they're zipped and ready to go:cool:! I didn't weigh the garment bags, but both of them are full (we are going for 11 days, after all).

The Cruise Room is empty - first time since the middle of January:eek:!

I haven't been happy with hair stylists for a while now and decided to return to one who did a good job when my hair was short (ears cut out short!).

The color w/ highlights is really nice. She had to trim all around to make it lay right, and the result is an easier-to-take-care-of-do(that DH likes, too!:)). I made my next appointment and hope to continue the relationship.

QUESTION: How long have you been with the same hair stylist?

Not much left to do - Zumba tomorrow morning and a manicure in the afternoon. My nails are always the last thing.

My pedi is different from any I've had - she added a little flower to each big toe. They look very tropical...I can almost hear the steel drum band playing...

So you do know you are now going to have to post a pic those fancy toes indiana! What a cute idea! Steel drums are now but a distant memory for me so I will have to live vicariously through you and your post cruise report!

Nothing better than having an easy to manage hair style and good cut when you are on vacation. If my hair's good - then I'm good! My curling brush is my life saver when I'm away.

I've been with my stylist for at least 15 years - maybe more. I follow her where ever she goes!! When you find someone who understands your hair and your coloring (and my hair's not easy!) and who you trust then you hang on to her!!

You sound so organized! My last hours/days always seem to be a bit of a panic no matter how planned and prepared I think I am! How nice to have the "I'm ready" feeling! When are you leaving?

Indianna77: Hope you have an awesome time!!!!!!

I am starting my packing today and need someone to explain how I would roll shirts..do I fold the arms and part of the sides in as usual and then roll it from bottom to top rather than folding it in thirds lengthwise or do I fold them in half and then roll from top to bottom or none of the above :confused: I get how to do pants...fold in half then roll from top to bottom but am not sure how to do tops. If someone could please explain the best way to do it I would be soooo grateful :o

It has been a long while since I posted but I read this thread regularly.

Hair - I have been with the same stylist for over 10 years. I went to them when they were employees of another salon after a series of not so great hairdressers. Sound familiar? She and her husband then opened their own salon. I go every six weeks for colour/cut. They have been winning several awards for hair styling around the globe. The only problem is that with every award the price goes up so we are now at about $180 a visit!!! But it is a ten minute drive from home on a Saturday morning; they use top notch products; no parking fees; she will come in early or stay late if it is the only time that I can fit in - so I hesitate to find someone cheaper. Even at that price they are both booked for months in advance.

P.S. the cappaccino is free :)

Indianna77: Hope you have an awesome time!!!!!!

I am starting my packing today and need someone to explain how I would roll shirts..do I fold the arms and part of the sides in as usual and then roll it from bottom to top rather than folding it in thirds lengthwise or do I fold them in half and then roll from top to bottom or none of the above :confused: I get how to do pants...fold in half then roll from top to bottom but am not sure how to do tops. If someone could please explain the best way to do it I would be soooo grateful :o

There are videos on youtube you could check. I saw this one on rolling jeans:

...and there's one of folding a shirt but not sure how you would roll one. I roll t shirts and knit tops successfully but never done a shirt. Maybe there's a youtube video for that too if you do a search?

Here's the shirt folding one.

OK - here's a t-shirt rolling one - maybe it's the same principle for shirts?