Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I just LOVE looking at everyones lovely cruise dresses and all other casual wear, shoes, etc....!

How soon is too soon to get ready for a cruise?? We are planning to book a carribean cruise this month for spring of 2013. LOL...I think I could start right now!

I'm hoping to get some good deals at the end of the summer....especially on formal wear--which I don't own much of.

It will be a 25th anniversary for me & the hubby so I want to make it extra special.

tizzylizz: Good question!!! My response is: you're a year away - so start thinking about outfits NOW! And getting deals at the end of summer is a Fashionista rule:)!

If you have space to store items that are candidates for a cruise, that's a bonus.

What To Do First: It's never too soon to start a spreadsheet. Mine has a row for each day that includes a cell for Daytime Casual and a cell for Dinner/Evening. If you need specific clothing for working out or excursions, have a cell for those, too.

Print the empty spreadsheet and whenever you have an outfit that you like, fill in the cell.

As you're building the spreadsheet, you will see what you might need, i.e., sandals for walking, earrings for formal night.

Welcome to CCF and keep coming back to let us know how you progress! We're all about planning ahead and looking our best:):cool:!

QUESTION to Other Fashionistas: What's the earliest you ever started planning?

Edited by indiana71

I am an OBSESSIVE planner and always plan well in advance, for any vacation. To give you an idea, I am already planning for my June 2013 cruise! This is mainly because I have a lot to buy and would like to spread it out over a long period of time.

It's not so much planning, it's just having an idea of what I want so when I am out and something catches my eye, I can get it then and know that I have it. Also, since we are a family of 6 and we would like to coordinate outfits and such, it takes some time to make sure everyone has items that go well together.

I am a very firm believer in it is never too early to start planning. You get the best result when you plan early! :)

For our Christmas cruise in 2009 i started planning for that one about 2 1/2 years before we went. I was planning which ship I wanted to do the renewal on and then went dress shopping and then planning all of the invites and everything else that went into it.

I absolutely had a ball planning that cruise and wish I could do it again. We had 35 people with us on that one.

To be real honest I don't think I ever get out the planning stages for a cruise.

Its like now I have already started planning which dresses I want to take for our cruise in Dec. and have them all separated in the closet and then next will be planning all of the casual night clothes.

Then closer to the cruise I will plan the day clothes.

By Sept. I will have them all move into the cruise room and will quietly be planning what the DH will be taking for his dress clothes.

I pretty much let him think it is his idea to wear these clothes that mysteriously appear by the suitcase when we pack.

He gets to pick his own day clothes tho.

I'm not sailing until February 2013, and I'm already planning. I have a few things already, and I'm coordinating jewelry with some of the dresses. I have tops picked out from my current selection, and I'm looking at shoes too.

I like to plan ahead, and I'm hoping I get some good deals by doing so.

I have a great dress I got for $25.00, and another that was around the same price.

I need to find some things that are like the bargains you guys find! I just can't seem to do that lately. I'm not complaining though. those dresses were a good deal and my formal night dress was also.

My plan is to build up 3-4 formal night dresses. This way I can rotate, as I want to cruise once a year. I've got two so far.

What To Do First: It's never too soon to start a spreadsheet. Mine has a row for each day that includes a cell for Daytime Casual and a cell for Dinner/Evening. If you need specific clothing for working out or excursions, have a cell for those, too.

Not sure I'm that organized! :) But, maybe I should be....especially since I like to travel light. Is that even possible on a cruise?!?

I wish I had an extra room I could make my "cruise" room...like so many of you seem to have. How lucky! :).

I said to myself, "You don't need ANY new clothes for the June cruise...choose from what you have...". Then, as I was passing through the shoe department, a pair of sandals said to me, "I would be perfect for wearing on that Boston excursion you just booked.":eek:...

They're Naturalizers flat sandals, straps across the toes are black patent, gold and bone - and will complete my Boston outfit of black Capris and gold knit top:).

Sometimes I simply can't help myself!!!

I agree with all of you who are never out of Planning Mode! In the dead of winter, when the countdown is still in the 3-digit range - you can find an item that is perfect for The Next Cruise:cool:!

I'll post a couple more photos early next week.

Meanwhile - If you are celebrating Easter or Passover - enjoy the weekend and time with family and/or friends.

Alright ladies, what do you think about “travel clothes”?

I am loving the jersey knit stuff.

I will be keeping an eye out for some new pieces in great colors (maybe a coral or tangerine or turquoise) that will supplement and complement my work wardrobe, in addition to being a treat for my November (first) cruise.

Here are some of the lines I am talking about:

Boston Proper - Travel Separates

Coldwater Creek - Travel Knit,”Destinations”

Chicos - Travelers

GoLite - Reversible travel clothes

HSN - Slinky, Citiknit

LLBean - Indispensable knit, etc.

QVC - Susan Graver Liquid Knit, etc

REI - convertible pants (not exactly cruisewear, but great for shore excursions, right?)

Target - some Merona, Mossimo

Travelsmith - Voyager Knit

Walmart - George, Norma Kamali

Has anyone had good luck with any of these lines? Does anyone have stories about their favorite travel clothing pieces? What do you think about these for cruisewear?

I have worn Chico's Traveler's. Chico's traveler's is great for traveling in moderate to cold weather. It's acetate, which is heavier with a great drape but it doesn't breathe. It is HORRIBLE for warm and/or humid weather IMO. I would never take Chico's traveler's to the Caribbean.

I'm familiar with several of the brands, but not specifically the Travel Clothes.

Coldwater Creek, Chico's, Boston Proper have always been well-made and good value.

Boston Proper website has a tab and drop-down for Cruisewear.

How to Determine if a Garment Will Travel Well: take a handful of the fabric and ball if up tightly in your hand. If it wrinkles, you know it's going to wrinkle in the suitcase.

Have had several Coldwater Creek travel knit outfits. They pack wonderful, take up little space in suitcase. BUT they can be hot. So it depends on where and when you will wear them. On the ship they would be great, in warmer climate not so much.

Indiana, how you pack your necklaces? Have 4 multi-strand necklaces, and they tangle, any packing tips?

Guest maddycat
I have worn Chico's Traveler's. Chico's traveler's is great for traveling in moderate to cold weather. It's acetate, which is heavier with a great drape but it doesn't breathe. It is HORRIBLE for warm and/or humid weather IMO. I would never take Chico's traveler's to the Caribbean.

I have a Chico's Traveler's outfit that I take on every cruise. It consists of black slacks (loose flowing pants legs), black jacket (unstructured) and two tops (one turquoise and the other a black, turquoise, green and gold geometric print). It's very comfortable and never goes out of style. It doesn't wrinkle. I wear it at night on Caribbean cruises. The weight doesn't bother me, after all the ships are always air conditioned and quite chilly.

pennyscandy: I pack each piece of jewelry in a little plastic bag. If there is a necklace and matching earrings - the earrings go in a separate bag and then in the larger bag with the necklace.

I lay out the necklace and roll it in a piece of tissue paper before tucking into the bag.

Also - I use address labels to stick on each bag to identify the go-with outfit, i.e., Day 2, Dinner.

A Suggestion from an Earlier Post: Buy "fat" straws (like you get with smoothies sometimes) and thread the necklace through it.

I've never seen (or looked for) those straws, but it sounds like a good idea.

Many of you have asked "What do I need to take on a 7-night Caribbean Cruise?" The operative word here is "Need". As a CCF, here is my list of the BASICs. And we'll assume the ship leaves from Florida.

- An outfit for Day 1 (travel, SailAway & dinner). Comfortable but nice enough to still look fresh at dinner.

-Shorts/Capris for 6 days of cruising/excursions

- Tops to go with those Shorts/Capris

- Swimsuits (1 for sure, 2 is better)

- Cover-Up for swimsuit that can be worn to lunch in Windjammer, for example.

- Casual sandals for daytime

- 4 outfits for casual dinner nights (for first-time cruisers: casual does NOT mean shorts & t-shirts in the main dining room)

Skirts & tops, sundresses

- Shoes for casual dinner (wedges, sandals w/ a small heel)

- 2 outfits for Formal Night (you could wear the same outfit and change the jewelry)

- Shoes for formal night - preferably strappy sandals

- Under garments and sleepwear

- If You Workout/Book Excursions w/ Strenuous Activity: attire for those activities

- Jewelry to match any of the above outfits

- Cosmetics, personal items of choice, sunglasses, sun screen

- A wrap for cool evenings (I hesitate to say cardigan unless it's modern and light)

So - Anyone Else Have Anything to Add...or Take Away????

Edited by indiana71

I just want to add that my first two cruises were in August to Bermuda. I had to make extra clothing changes because it was HOT, HOT, HOT!!!! :D I actually ran out of clothes towards the end of the cruise that would be considered clean.

Also, I got cool at night, and had a pair of linen drawstring waist pants that were totally indispensible.

Keep a pair of light weight pants with you, a sweater or shrug, and some extra tops.

.........(snip)..

Many of you have asked "What do I need to take on a 7-night Caribbean Cruise?" The operative word here is "Need". As a CCF, here is my list of the BASICs. And we'll assume the ship leaves from Florida.

- An outfit for Day 1 (travel, SailAway & dinner). Comfortable but nice enough to still look fresh at dinner.

-Shorts/Capris for 6 days of cruising/excursions

- Tops to go with those Shorts/Capris

- Swimsuits (1 for sure, 2 is better)

- Cover-Up for swimsuit that can be worn to lunch in Windjammer, for example.

- Casual sandals for daytime

- 4 outfits for casual dinner nights (for first-time cruisers: casual does NOT mean shorts & t-shirts in the main dining room)

Skirts & tops, sundresses

- Shoes for casual dinner (wedges, sandals w/ a small heel)

- 2 outfits for Formal Night (you could wear the same outfit and change the jewelry)

- Shoes for formal night - preferably strappy sandals

- Under garments and sleepwear

- If You Workout/Book Excursions w/ Strenuous Activity: attire for those activities

- Jewelry to match any of the above outfits

- Cosmetics, personal items of choice, sunglasses, sun screen

- A wrap for cool evenings (I hesitate to say cardigan unless it's modern and light)

So - Anyone Else Have Anything to Add...or Take Away????

Great basic list! I'd add a fun floppy packable sunhat if you are a beach/sun lover - but beware of the breeze up on deck - a tie of some sort to keep it from blowing off is a must!

Do you have clothes laundered and/or pressed while onboard?

I used the on board pressing service for my two formal dresses the day we embarked. (Just a FYI for new cruisers - no travel irons or steamers allowed on most ships). I knew my dresses might not travel well so had already factored that into the budget! They were back next day fresh and ready - think it was $5.00 per dress (on Celebrity).

( Love your photos indiana! Cruise perfect!)

I wish I were a fashionista, I loathe clothes and shoe shopping, unless I need something on my list. But I get complimented on whatever I do buy so I may be doing something right. Get me in a book store I'm in my comfort zone. I think my "female shopping gene" is screwed up. Other than some trial size toiletries I need to refill and a new evening dress I'm pretty much done with what I'm bringing on Oasis in September.

DH went the cheap route to steam his suit in the shower. The phone rang and a message from the bridge was to abandon our cabin because of fire. I called the room steward and he came running. Told me to hide my curling iron and when the fire marshall comes to say it was just a hot shower. I was afraid we were going to get kicked off the ship! Since then, we send our things out to be pressed or I go to the ironing room.

Alrana Eris: The golfer who won the Masters last weekend had never taken a lesson...proving that some people have a talent. Since you are complimented on your clothes, I'm guessing that you are one of those lucky ones.

The fact that you are reading/posting here shows that you try to look your best. You must be doing something right:).

Pennyscandy: I'm relieved that there wasn't a fire in your stateroom...and loved your story! Taking the cheap way doesn't always work. Thanks for sharing:cool:.

My photos arrived from snapfish (I love that photo processing site for the speed and quality). That means that the next couple days will be devoted to putting a scrapbook together, including photos (of course!), a running commentary (I keep a journal every day while cruising) and memorabilia.

BUT - before that project gets underway, here's a couple more photos.

The first one is a favorite casual outfit usually worn on an excursion (white Ralph Lauren shorts, Brighton jewelry and a new crossbody from a local craft store.) ...and my buddy is a storefront pirate in Antigua.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35483%3B%3B93%3B335nu0mrj

Next, is another outfit that has made every cruise. Black shorts are Ralph Lauren (my favorite shorts brand for the quality of fabric and fit). Can't recall where the top came from. The necklace is new - from a little local costume jewelry store. The colors are exactly the same as in the top! The sandals have been on several cruises - comfortable Naturalizers in a color that matches lots of my stuff.

232323232%7Ffp%3B75%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35483%3B%3B767335nu0mrj

Here's one more photo. This is the dress DH bought. When I found something I really liked, he was pleased that it cost only $15.00!!

It's basically a beach dress with spaghetti straps, but the color and pattern are nice enough - so it was my dinner dress that evening. The Bolero was a Final Sale item a couple years ago at Macy's. The shoes are really comfortable - even though they were inexpensive from Pay Less. I wore them several evenings.

The clutch purse came from a purse sale at a spaghetti dinner!

232323232%7Ffp%3B72%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35484244%3C%3B335nu0mrj

Guest maddycat
DH & I have never sent clothes out for laundering or pressing. But one of my DDLs asked about it for our June 2013 cruise.

Do you have clothes laundered and/or pressed while onboard?

We always send out my husband's dress shirts for pressing. We leave them out for the cabin attendant the first night and have them back the following day.