Valencia, fly into Barcelona or Madrid?

psblin99

Any special reason you'd like to drive to the ship?

There are flights from Barcelona to Valencia. There might be flights from Madrid too. It would be much easier to just fly in and spend a day or so in Valencia before your cruise.

I apologize!! I must have had a senior moment!! There are no decent flights between those cities!!

Sorry

Barcelona is one of my favorite places so of course I am prejudiced and would tell you to drive from there.

if your spanish is very good ,madrid english not widley spoken as not really a tourist resort however barcelona very easy to get around but like all major cities be aware of pickpockets it,s rife you can then get the train to valencia ,fast trains and sleepers available need a hotel ,stay in passiage de graccia area as good connections to other major rail stations and metro lines

We plan on coming in 3-4 days ahead of time and renting a car to see the sites. I figured a day or two in the big city then we could work our way to Valencia. On the return for our flight out we could drive or take the train.

Distance from either Madrid or Barcelona to Valencia is the same (around 220 miles). Train from Madrid (1.5 hrs 80 euros) is faster than one from Barcelona (3 hrs, 44 euros). Driving time is the same. Both Madrid and Barcelona are worthy cities to visit so in my opinion I would choose depending on your flight logistics.

The high speed train from Madrid to Valencia opened in mid December; my CinC and I spent a few days in Toledo (wonderful) and saw it whistle past us on our way home, like the proverbial off a shovel! The drive from Madrid to Valencia (we live 60 miles south of Valencia) is ok, but I would opt to let the train take the strain and then take the train to Barcelona for the trip home. The service is good; last year we used AMTRAK from NYC to Miami, we well looked after by the staff and enjoyed the trip, but Europe is running so far ahead of the Good Ol'e USA in rail travel that it would be a worthwhile experience for you. Oh, Valencia is a lovely city, worth attention in its own right.

Enjoy your trip

New Salt

The high speed train from Madrid to Valencia opened in mid December; my CinC and I spent a few days in Toledo (wonderful) and saw it whistle past us on our way home, like the proverbial off a shovel! The drive from Madrid to Valencia (we live 60 miles south of Valencia) is ok, but I would opt to let the train take the strain and then take the train to Barcelona for the trip home. The service is good; last year we used AMTRAK from NYC to Miami, we well looked after by the staff and enjoyed the trip, but Europe is running so far ahead of the Good Ol'e USA in rail travel that it would be a worthwhile experience for you. Oh, Valencia is a lovely city, worth attention in its own right.

Enjoy your trip

New Salt

Thanks we have decided to go to Madrid and then take the train and spend a day in Valencia. We did the bullet train in Shanghai last year. It was fun.

If you have never been to Madrid, I suggest a couple of days sightseeing in this wonderful city. Their metro system makes it very easy to visit all of the major attractions.

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27817620&postcount=199 for information on viewing my video that show the highlights of Madrid.

Ron

If you have never been to Madrid, I suggest a couple of days sightseeing in this wonderful city. Their metro system makes it very easy to visit all of the major attractions.

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27817620&postcount=199 for information on viewing my video that show the highlights of Madrid.

Ron

Thanks Ron for sharing. We have decided to do just that 3 days in and around Madrid then the train to Valencia to catch our cruise.

If you're going to spend time in Madrid, it has a pretty extensive subway system; and Madrid airport has direct bus service to the train station (for only €2)

As for the high speed rail, it's phenomenal. We took the Madrid - Barcelona high speed train in November, and it's a perfect demonstration of how far behind the times we are in North America.

Archived