Ranking Mayan Ruins

TMLAalum

This ruin was not on my radar initially, but am now considering this vs. Lamanai since it appears to be available as a shipex. The idea of getting a glimpse of Guatemala is intriguing and I believe it is climbable as well.

Please chime in with your experiences, especially fun2cruise4me who ranks L over X, and others who've been to both.

Thanks!

Here are my pictures of all of the ruins in Belize that I've visited.

http://www.pbase.com/2112/belize

I just had to say thank you for posting that link. I looked at all of your pictures of places you've been and they are amazing. You really make me want to go to Costa Rica. Loved all of the places. Wow. Thanks so much!

• 4 weeks later...

We've narrowed our Mayan Ruins choices down to 2. Which would you do?

Coba Maya Ruins in Cozumel or Xuanatunich in Belize?

Both are all day excursions through Carnival. We'll be on the Carnival Legend in June.

Thanks!

Michelle

We've narrowed our Mayan Ruins choices down to 2. Which would you do?

Coba Maya Ruins in Cozumel or Xuanatunich in Belize?

Both are all day excursions through Carnival. We'll be on the Carnival Legend in June.

Thanks!

Michelle

Michelle:

To get to Coba from Coz, you need to first ferry over to the mainland, then bus or van it to the ruins, makes for a lot of traveling and possibly sea sickness. Now, Coba is beautiful, but it is spaced out and you can climb to the top of a pyramid, but you may spend more time getting back & forth than at the ruin site.

Xanantunich is also a full day tour,almost to the border of Guatamala. There is plenty to see and do there, and the hand drawn raft stream crossing is kind of neat. The main structure at Xanatunich is awesome to climb, very narrow steps with no handrails, not for the faint of heart or those with any sort of mobility issues.

Because of the ferry ride, I choose to beach it at Coz and do the ruins at X when the ship ported in Belize. On aweek long land vacation to Playa, I participated in the Coba excursion.

searching for shore ideas but cant help but ask TMLA.... when did you graduate? i am from class of 78.

Class of '64! FotoPeg on these boards is also an alum. When & what line do you sail this itinerary?

Barb

We did our first tour of Mayan Ruins while in Costa Maya this April. I wondered for those of you having visited the other mentioned ruins, how does the Chachoben Ruins in Costa Maya rank? We loved visiting it in part to our guide Ivan (of Native Way) who grew up at the ruins which his father discovered in 1942.

Anyways I would appreciate your comparisons/opinions with Chachoben throw in the mix? We are interested in seeing other ruins on future trips.

Archived