Voyager World Cruisers/Segments

grapejuice

Looking forward to meeting you Col. Wes. Maybe we can all get together for a cocktail since we haven't run into the others.

I updated the blog yesterday.

Right now we are docked in Cairns waiting for our private helicopter excursion. It was raining this morning and the weather didn't look like we would make it, but it is beginning to clear and we can see clear skies around us. Hopefully, by 9:30am it will be good enough weather for us to go. We are scheduled to fly over to the reef and then over the rain forest for about one hour.

Jan & Fred, absolutely...we normally go to the observation lounge prior to dinner every night (between 7-8pm), tho when we board on the 30th we will probably get a head start and go to the Obsvn Lounge after 6:30pm. I sent Kevin and Susan the Cambodia excursions if u need them can send them to you too via your blog..just let me know.

And please call me Wes.

ps..your welcome Rachel and have a wonderful "SemperFi" cruise with you son.

Hey Karen/Wayne, Jan/Fred, Kev/Susan, Jamie/Dana,

How did you all enjoy Brissy! We were dining at a restaurant at Portside when you sailed away at 6 pm on the dot.

She looked magnificent. Loved hearing the ships horns on departure.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your adventures with us. Only wish I could have stowed away in one of the lifeboats when I had the chance.

Col Wes/Ida, TC/Dennis - how wonderful to be joining the Voyager in Asia! How long are you all on for? It should make for some interesting blogs, I can't wait.

I know everyone will be great mates by the end of the cruise.

Cheers

We had a great time in Brisbane. After our excursion to Australia Zoo, we took the shuttle downtown. Brisbane seems like a very nice city. Lots of construction cranes! So, it must be a growing city! Would have liked more time there!

Karen

Neville, sincere thanks also for your WWII service. If you don't qualify for a military discount, I will be honored to personally give you a service award--I will buy a premium bottle of champagne/or buy your fav premium libation if we are ever on the same Regent, SS or SB cruise and Hannah, Ida (also combat vet) and I can toast (maybe a few) to your and our honorable military service. Btw, we spent time with Orpy and Barbara on the Voyager TA three months ago

ps..thanks Sheltieluv for your Veterans well wishes (pls send me an email at my yahoo email below)

pss...so we get back on topic....Neville, care to join us on this WC segment (HK to Bangkok)

Wes, Wayne served in the Vietnam War in 1971. He was stationed at Phu Bai, just south of Hue. We are going to hire a car and driver when we are in Vietnam and go back to where he was stationed to see how much it has changed since '71.

Karen

I have been in email contact with Mark Conroy (President of Regent) for five years, encouraging Regent to adopt a formal military discount. Our military men

and women who have fought and died for our country so we enjoy freedom (e.g., express our opinions here on CC), surely deserve a discount. In the spring of 2008, Mark wrote me that Regent was very close, just had to determine priciing--alas, the fishnet accident with the Voyager WC in April happened and this initiative fell by the wayside. I have recently written Frank Del Rio (FDR), CEO of Presitge Cruise Lines (supervises the runnning of both Oceania and Regent) and strongly encouraged PCH to offer our veterans a military discount. Even said due to the minor impact on the bottom line, PCH could reduce their program (like Paul Gauguin cruises) and just offer a military discount to serving Active Duty and Reserve Personnel. IMO, a formal military discount program offered by PCH would further help separate in a very good way, Regent and Oceania brands. I am waiting to hear back from FDR, CEO of PCH.

I am most impressed, Wes, at your behind the scenes efforts to get Regent and PCH to introduce a discount program for US military personnel. I wish you every success, your persistance desrves no less.

As Prestige is a US run company, I am sure this is the right approach. Who knows, if (or should I say "when") you are successful, the way will be open and a precedent set, for a similar scheme in the UK.

Best wishes to you and Ida from Barbara & myself.

Karen, your tour of Hue sounds wonderful esp for Wayne (have a good cruise friend (is Platinum on Regent but now sails Silversea) who was a Vietnam POW for 7 years). Ida and I are doing Chi chu Tunnels on our first day and then the Mekong River excursions.

Tom, thanks for your gracious comments, but, it is a priviledge to try and assist our military men and women. Interested in your SB feedback, on Barbara and your upcoming Sojourn voyage. We still have the SB Quest maiden TA booked in November. Pls pass our very warm regards to your dear sweet Barbara.

ps..Maria, thank you for your cruise well wishes...Ida and I are over the moon excited with this voyage (we were last in Asia (Tokyo) for Army biz in

1999, 2000)..first time ever we booked a cruise nearly 30 days from sailing--gets the adrenilin going in hyperdrive.

Wes, Vietnam is a wonderful country. I did the Tunnels and the Mekong River with Regent in 2008. Four of our group went into the tunnels but I'm afraid I was happy to stay out and hold their jackets, etc. Back then we had to pay for excursions so don't know if they will be different now. Ours were wonderful with only six in each group. I had been to Vietnam several years earlier on a land trip all alone with just a guide and driver. Fantastic. If you ever have the chance to go back on a land trip I strongly suggest visiting SaPa, north of Hanoi, in the mountains near the China border. It's a whole different world up there with all the tribal people. Have a wonderful cruise.

ThreeChicks, thanks for the cruise well wishes and sharing your wonderful experience in Vietnam. Happily, the Tunnels (1st Day in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh city) and Mekong River (2nd day) excursions are included. We have cruise friends (Ray and Penny--u may know them) who went on the 2008 WC and took excellent videos. Ray, is now sending me his Asia WC videos--the excellent video of Saigon included (the tunnels showing the guide getting in/out of one of the Tunnels)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been remiss on getting our blog updated, but internet has cooperated this morning. We are in Manila still going through the clearance procedures. We are here a day early after missing Sandakan because of a delay leaving Bali. So we have an extra day in Manila to explore a bit more. Our task this morning is to find a optical shop and try and get Fred's glasses repaired or replaced as he broke them yesterday. The Philippine crew tell us if won't be a problem as the mall where the shuttle takes us has lots and lots of optical shops.

Very much enjoying your posts Jan and Fred thank you for taking the time to include us in your travels.

Wes and Ida, looking forward to your posts as well, if you are doing so.

Wish I was onboard!

Happy sailings to you all!

Hi Graphejuice, thank you for thoughtful happy sailing wishes. We are in what our friend T (Mimito4) calls the "Journey Proud" stage--enjoying the excitement of being about ten days from boarding.

Only glitch so far was attempting to change our routing on our return (4 flights, 35 hrs (o/nite in HK) so we would not transit Narita (Tokyo). Since early Monday (once US issued Travel warnings/alerts) discouraging any tourist travel to/thru Tokyou--Had our FF guru (he did our award seats) checking, and I double tapped by calling American Airlines Customer Service Rep evey night after midnight asking to change our routing (to by pass NRT (Narita). Fortunately, yesterday morning (2 a.m.) we were able to snag two wonderful seats on Cathay Pacific's HK to Toronto flight.

Yes, Grapejuice, I look forward to posting here, begining next Monday just before we depart (4 am, Monday) on our 19 hour journey to Honk Kong. The thread will titled: Indochine Illuminations--On Board Reports. Believe Regent CC readers are thirsting for on board reports since currently there are no live on board threads on the first page of the Regent board. However, believe we (and many others) get our fix of Regent on board reports now from WC blogs--the very rich/entertaining blog posts of Fred & Jan (latest post from Seoul) , Karen and Wayne (just rcvd their post from Seoul today by email), Susan and Jeff (last post from Bali--great pix), and Cruise Director Jaime (how he got trashed in he Logan Golf invitational).

Thanks Cruisebugbit!

When you put the distances down like that then it makes it easier to understand how far away from the problems in Japan we will be. I have looked at a map and it seemed like we were a little too close for comfort.

My flights originally connected through Narita on the way home but ended up going through Seoul which I was not thrilled about but now I am so glad it worked out that way. Still trying to change my outbounds as I have a 12 hour layover in Munich on Friday.

Hi Jan, look forward to meeting Fred and you on board. Next Wednesday evening, Ida and I will be in the observation lounge from 7-8pm with a few other new arrivals (and maybe fellow WCr's Karen & Wayne), pls join us if u can..if not, am sure we will find you once on board.

ps...enjoying yourwonderful WC blog...thanks for taking us along.

Archived