What if we don't go to MDR? Do we still tip?

pandi77

People who work on cruise ships choose their job and sign contracts. They know what they sign up to do.

Yes, many work hard, but remember no one forced them to choose the job.

If you are happy with their service feel free to tip whatever amount you wish.

If you don't receive service in the dining room and still want to hand a waiter and assistant waiter an envelope full of cash for service they gave other people that's your choice, but don't expect everyone else to do it.

The waiters know when they sign a contract that they will have to work in the WJ on their off week and not receive any tips. They agree to this by signing a contract to work on a ship.

The assistant waiters know that in addition to working in the MDR for dinner they also will have to work other places, like the WJ during breakfast and lunch. Again, they agree to the job duties and understand that tips are a BONUS pay.

By the same token you know, or should know, when you book a cruise the line's policy about tipping and when you sign the cruise contract you agree to the terms and conditions. RCI at least gives you an out if you choose not to tip. Most, if not all, other lines simply add it to your account. No one is forcing you to cruise and on RCI at least, unless you choose MTD, no one is forcing you to tip.:rolleyes:

By the same token you know, or should know, when you book a cruise the line's policy about tipping and when you sign the cruise contract you agree to the terms and conditions. RCI at least gives you an out if you choose not to tip. Most, if not all, other lines simply add it to your account. No one is forcing you to cruise and on RCI at least, unless you choose MTD, no one is forcing you to tip.:rolleyes:

It is not a "pollicy". It is the "suggested" amount. Just as the "suggested" dining room attire. If you follow one follow the other. But a suggestion is just that - a suggestion.

It is not a "pollicy". It is the "suggested" amount. Just as the "suggested" dining room attire. If you follow one follow the other. But a suggestion is just that - a suggestion.

There is a policy, it is the amounts that are suggestions, but you are really parsing words. The point is that when you sign up for a cruise you know what the "suggested tips" are and one could make a rational argument that by signing the cruise contract you acknowledge those suggestions. As I mentioned, on RCI, at least you aren't 'forced" to follow the suggestion but on most other lines you don't have that option.

There is a policy, it is the amounts that are suggestions, but you are really parsing words. The point is that when you sign up for a cruise you know what the "suggested tips" are and one could make a rational argument that by signing the cruise contract you acknowledge those suggestions. As I mentioned, on RCI, at least you aren't 'forced" to follow the suggestion but on most other lines you don't have that option.

Not really. Suggested is still suggested. No where in that "contract" does it say manditory. If it did these constant arguments wouldn't be happening. Even on most of the other lines, you can remove the forced "tips" so they are not really manditory.

By the way, acknowledge the suggestion - absolutley. Just as we acknowledge the suggestion about what to wear. However, no matter which way you look at it, it's still a suggestion.

My DH and I rarely go to the MDR on our cruises ( we do not want to have to "dress" for the MDR ) so we chose MTD so that the tip is prepaid. Even before they had MTD we would prepay tips that way the dinning staff is covered. When we go to the specialty restaurants we add a little extra to the bill.

+1.

Exactly what we do.

:cool:

No sense arguing anymore so you can just pocket that suggested tip for the dining room staff and enjoy your cruise. The savings will make such a big difference in the cost of your cruise and as you say the tips are not manditory(sic). :rolleyes: Do at least have the courage of your convictions and let the staff know that you have chosen to ignore the suggested tip policy and won't be tipping.

No sense arguing anymore so you can just pocket that suggested tip for the dining room staff and enjoy your cruise. The savings will make such a big difference in the cost of your cruise and as you say the tips are not manditory(sic). :rolleyes: Do at least have the courage of your convictions and let the staff know that you have chosen to ignore the suggested tip policy and won't be tipping.

Now who is playing with words. I never said I don't leave a gratuity. I do leave a gratuity with the person who served me. Usually that's in the specialty dining but once in awhile it maybe in the WJ. And if I do eat in the MD they get the gratuity they are entitled to. Of course the difference is not what you or others on this board think they are entitled to, what I think they are entitled to.

I work for my money - I expect those I give money to to also work for it by providing a service. If I don't recieve a service, such as when not eating in the MDR I don't expect to to pay.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would consider paying a person or persons who doesn't do anything for me.

Now who is playing with words. I never said I don't leave a gratuity. I do leave a gratuity with the person who served me. Usually that's in the specialty dining but once in awhile it maybe in the WJ. And if I do eat in the MD they get the gratuity they are entitled to. Of course the difference is not what you or others on this board think they are entitled to, what I think they are entitled to.

I work for my money - I expect those I give money to to also work for it by providing a service. If I don't recieve a service, such as when not eating in the MDR I don't expect to to pay.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would consider paying a person or persons who doesn't do anything for me.

As my grandkids would say, "Whatever":rolleyes:

Lynees- you're not the only one who feels like this.

Actually-if you want to play with words-Royal states the suggested tip for your dining room wait staff-not main dining room wait staff. So-if my dining room staff was in the WJ for dinner-those hard working folks are getting my tip. Also-since the tip police will tell you the servers work in the WJ for mornings and lunch-I'm covered all around then!!!;)

I don't pre-pay for your exact thoughts. I prefer to tip in cash to those who served me.

Funny how this thread came back from a sleep for a while...........:p

I'm still feellin' the love here amongst us on this topic!!!:D

I agree with you on the tipping, its what it should be. However, we did MTD and we had to prepay the tips, which takes that choice away from us.

On a recent cruise, we were scheduled to dine at 5:30, which was to early for us, and I wasn't impressed with the waiters. As a result , we ended up eating in WJ the remainder of the cruise. Rather than have the tips put on our seapass, we ended up tipping the WJ waiter ( we had the same waiter the whole time) and our stateroom attendent ourselves.

A number of years ago, we were going to sail on the Mariner, and made the decision in advance that we would not eat in the MDR ... we would limit ourselves to the specialty restaurants and WJ only. We called RCL offices in Miami and asked what the proper protocol regarding tips was this scenario ... we were told by two different reps (the first rep had the second one "confirm") that upon first boarding the ship on day one, we should go to the Maitre'd and have him / her officially "release" our table assignments for the entire cruise. In that case only, our "obligation" (for lack of a better term) to tip the dining room personel would be relieved. However, we were told 1) If we did NOT release our assignments on day one, it was still considered "Proper" to tip the servers, and 2) If we DID release our assignments on day one, it would be considered "Proper" to tip those personel that DID provide service to us in whatever restaurants we ate in.

As previous folks have mentioned, if you're doing MTD your tips for dining room service is prepaid, so no choice in that matter.

Michael

• 1 year later...

All of this stuff is so confusing. Why not just be upfront about where the tip goes? On our last RC cruise, which was a week ago, we were given envelopes. One said "Head Waiter", "Assistant Waiter" and "Waiter" so I assumed this tip would go to these three individiual waiters of the MDR where we never stepped foot. But if what you are saying is true, then this tip would go to "All Head Waiters" so why not just put that on the envelope??

Also, some of you are saying you tip your WJ waiter? How is this possible? We never had a waiter in WJ for breakfast, lunch or dinner?? We saw various people stop by and ask if we were done with our plates, but never any one specific person that "waited" on us? So how in the world would you pick someone to tip for that service?

I think the tipping concept has gotten out of hand. If I tipped my specific waiter, I would expect he/she to be able to keep the money for the service they had given to me.

Tipping is so confusing. I don't really think it should be called tipping anymore. I know Carnival has started saying their tips go to all kinds of workers on the ship, not just the main people that you think about tipping.

A tip should be for a specific service. Good service=good tip. But with all of the craziness, some people say no service=good tip. We should just tip the head waiter, waiter, assistant waiter even though we never use the MDR, because they MIGHT be our WJ waiter or they MIGHT pool the tips with all of the other people that MIGHT wait on us during the cruise.

AHH. I will never understand tipping, but like others, just pay it because it is "suggested." Fair? Probably not. Tip? Probably not. I agree with other posters, this should probably be called a service charge unless the cruise line can be more upfront about who actually gets this so called TIP.

Count me in that list! It's my vacation that I paid good money for, why do I need to dress up to impress others?

I'm not talking about wearing flip flops and t-shirts, but I think the dress codes are on the overkill side.

nobody is saying a 3 piece suit or a cocktail dress is required every night.

However, when you go out to a nicer restaurant at home.. not McDonalds or even a Chili's/TGIFs, but a true decent sit down place, what do you wear? use that as your guideline. like it or not, you are judged by the facade/appearance you present. on formal night, do you want to be the the grandma in the dining room wearing the kitty in a santa hat sweatshirt and barely clean, let alone brushed hair in the DR> or the 20 something in a basketball uniform tank top, saggy board shorts and your father's sport coat in order to be allowed in the Concierge lounge?

I saw all that and much worse on my last cruise. and lemmee tell ya, the image these people presented, was not a flattering one.

If you do not want to dres in a tux, so be it. but is it THAT much against your religion to put on a clean pair of khakis and a collared shirt? Hell I won't even titter behind my hand if you skip the tie.

I know it probably isn't the most popular choice but if my husaband and I don't choose to go to the dining room at all while on our 5 day cruise would we tip the dining room staff at all? We plan on eating in the specialty restaurants or take meals in our room or on our deck. Any advice?

this is what i would do. Even though you told RCI on line or by phone that your not going to the dining room-- when you get on board go to the dining entrance and let the head waiter know so he can adjust the seating chart for SURE.

The days you go to the special resturant-- use the tip chart for that. NON specialty resturant days use the tip chart for the rest of the days for the MDR grat.

Kind of interested about the dress up part-- slacks and collared shirt isn't really dress up so why not go to the MDR? You'll have the cloths your wear to the special resturant (unless your like me and have gravy by nights end on the front).

One last thing about grats-- there is an envelope for the Matra'd---- if during the cruise he / or she dosen't come by a few nights to say hi or ask how everything is going or take out my lobster tail or what ever-- i split the tip normally for the M'dee to waiter/assitant waiter.

Please lets not hear how over worked they are.

Yes we understand. We really enjoy having our meals in our cabin and is one of the primary reasons we book a suite when cruising so we can have access to all the same offering of the MDR.

We tip our stateroom attendants heavily as we know we keep them running as well as the attendants in the specialty restaurants.We also tip the concierge as we frequent it as well we just have always wondered if everyone else who doesn't use the Windjammer and MDR still tips those attendants too? I have often wondered if I should hold back some of what would go to the dining room we don't use and pass it along to the stateroom attendants bringing us all those meals!

Having just gotten off LOS in an OS in November 2012 for a 14 day TA cruise, we did the same thing. Ate most meals in suite. Used dining room table so much more than we do at home!

We booked MTD so that 1) we wouldn't have to worry about letting our table "go" and 2) tips would be taken out for us and we didn't have to worry about it.

We didn't go to the MDR for a single breakfast or dinner and only 3 times for lunch (salad bar).

We gave extra to room steward and conceirge, and never less than $5 for room service and $10 one time for Chops and $15 the other time in Portofinos.

Of the times DH went to Windjammer for breakfast, I did not tip extra because of the tips that were already prepaid.

It doesn't matter whether you go to the MDR or not. Like the other poster said, the only real way to justify not tipping waiters/bussers is if you seriously bring your own meals, cook them and wash your own dishes.

Dawn

That was one thing we enjoyed on Rhapsody, (but never saw the guys on Radiance), the dining attendants in the MDR would give us a hand with a drink or chat or whatever when they saw us in the WJ. I must admit we didn't think about it at first, but after we asked tem for more info, we then found out they had to work shifts at the WJ. So if you don't want to tip then I would say take your dishes back to the stations in the WJ and ask where you can help to wash them?

Our party of 5 was on the Monarch last weekend...as soon as we boarded I went to the MDR & released our table...my Dad is not a fan of a long dinner so to make him comfortable we ate in the WJ instead...the 1st night there a waiter came by our table to take our drink orders...my dad asked for Choc milk...which the waiter then tracked down & brought him 2 cartons...the next 2 nights we were in a different area but the same waiter came by...brought our drinks...and checked to see if my Dad wanted choc. milk... he also brought my dad dessert one evening..needless to say he received a nice tip at the end of our cruise...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! It's tip week threads!! :D

Start new ones and bring back the oldie but goodies!!!:D

No kidding.

I wanted to start one on the main board called "DID YOU TIP THE CAPTAIN" and see how many people took it seriously vs seeing it as a joke. I decided it would be better not to do it, but I do like a good joke.

Andrew

Having just gotten off LOS in an OS in November 2012 for a 14 day TA cruise, we did the same thing. Ate most meals in suite. Used dining room table so much more than we do at home!

We booked MTD so that 1) we wouldn't have to worry about letting our table "go" and 2) tips would be taken out for us and we didn't have to worry about it.

We didn't go to the MDR for a single breakfast or dinner and only 3 times for lunch (salad bar).

We gave extra to room steward and conceirge, and never less than $5 for room service and $10 one time for Chops and $15 the other time in Portofinos.

Of the times DH went to Windjammer for breakfast, I did not tip extra because of the tips that were already prepaid.

It doesn't matter whether you go to the MDR or not. Like the other poster said, the only real way to justify not tipping waiters/bussers is if you seriously bring your own meals, cook them and wash your own dishes.

Dawn

Totally agree with you. We have a GS on our upcoming Mariner cruise and plan to do the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes we understand. We really enjoy having our meals in our cabin and is one of the primary reasons we book a suite when cruising so we can have access to all the same offering of the MDR.

We tip our stateroom attendants heavily as we know we keep them running as well as the attendants in the specialty restaurants.We also tip the concierge as we frequent it as well we just have always wondered if everyone else who doesn't use the Windjammer and MDR still tips those attendants too? I have often wondered if I should hold back some of what would go to the dining room we don't use and pass it along to the stateroom attendants bringing us all those meals!

I agree with you.

Archived