What if we don't go to MDR? Do we still tip?

pandi77

How exactly does tipping on MTD work. I know you prepay, but do you prepay at time of deposit or time of final payment?

You can prepay when you put down a deposit or at final payment. You can also pay when you get onboard, that is if there is still room for MTD. It does get booked up early on some ships.

You can prepay when you put down a deposit or at final payment. You can also pay when you get onboard, that is if there is still room for MTD. It does get booked up early on some ships.

The reason I ask is that we booked on Oasis today and selected MTD. We booked through the Interval International website.

When going through the booking, it appeared that we were going to be charged for the gratuity today when we paid the deposit, but when we look at our account online, it only shows the $500 deposit amount being authorize. The e-mail and other confirmation print outs only show the $500 deposit paid, and nothing of the gratuity. The final payment amount that the confirmations show don't say anything about the prepaid gratuity. It seems like a call to II may be in order tomorrow.

It doesn't matter to us when we pay it, just want to make sure it isn't messed up and we end up losing our MTD confirmation.

Only the MTD tips are pooled. That is why they automatically charge for them.

Knowing we aren't planning on using the MDR, I would just select MTD to effectively "opt-out" but I refuse to pay tips to servers I never see when I should be tipping the servers where we are eating.

Apparently hardly anyone wants to "dress" for the MDR anymore ...

Count me in that list! It's my vacation that I paid good money for, why do I need to dress up to impress others?

I'm not talking about wearing flip flops and t-shirts, but I think the dress codes are on the overkill side.

IMO nothing wrong with that!!!

My concern with this is that those servers are not making tons of money for their salary. They rely on those tables being filled and the tips from those tables to survive.

It's like my kids' day care- the director has to pay her workers whether my kids are there or not, so just because my kids are sick one day, doesn't mean I don't have to pay for that day's attendance.

My concern with this is that those servers are not making tons of money for their salary. They rely on those tables being filled and the tips from those tables to survive.

It's like my kids' day care- the director has to pay her workers whether my kids are there or not, so just because my kids are sick one day, doesn't mean I don't have to pay for that day's attendance.

What about the waiters working in the other specialty restaurants. If I don't go there then they don't make as much money either!

If I go to a regular land-based restaurant and while being seated, I ask for a different table, does that mean I should still also tip the waiter whose section I would have been in since they are now making less money because I wanted to be at a different table?

Frankly, if they made the MDR a better experience and less of a hassle then more people would be in there.

The reason I ask is that we booked on Oasis today and selected MTD. We booked through the Interval International website.

When going through the booking, it appeared that we were going to be charged for the gratuity today when we paid the deposit, but when we look at our account online, it only shows the $500 deposit amount being authorize. The e-mail and other confirmation print outs only show the $500 deposit paid, and nothing of the gratuity. The final payment amount that the confirmations show don't say anything about the prepaid gratuity. It seems like a call to II may be in order tomorrow.

It doesn't matter to us when we pay it, just want to make sure it isn't messed up and we end up losing our MTD confirmation.

From my own experience, the gratuity amount was added directly to the cost of the cruise ... for example, say your total for the cruise (including all taxes and port fees) is $1000 and the tips are $200 - Your "cruise" is now $1200 and you just pay as usual. Hope that makes sense.

sblair[/left];27934605]What about the waiters working in the other specialty restaurants. If I don't go there then they don't make as much money either!

If I go to a regular land-based restaurant and while being seated, I ask for a different table, does that mean I should still also tip the waiter whose section I would have been in since they are now making less money because I wanted to be at a different table?

Frankly, if they made the MDR a better experience and less of a hassle then more people would be in there.

First off, the food in the specialty restaurants include the gratuity - so the waiters are guaranteed their cut there. I do not think they are on the same pay level as the other waiters (but I am not exactly sure how that works.)

I do know that the waiters in the MDR are shuffled throughout the day between the WJ and even room service on occasion. (Seriously, it is not uncommon to see your dinner waiter serving breakfast at the WJ in the morning.) That is how it works. They don't have the whole day off at then just start working at 5pm

As someone else mentioned - unless you are planning on completely skipping breakfast and lunch and snacks and ONLY eat in the specialty restaurants (where tip is included) you should just pay it. It is like $3 a day! Is that so unreasonable?

No, I apologize ... you are entitled to do whatever you want. It is your money. Its just makes me sad that these people work so hard and some people are misinformed about what their tips actually cover

First off' date=' the food in the specialty restaurants include the gratuity - so the waiters are guaranteed their cut there.[/quote']

Guaranteed their cut of WHAT? How much of the $5 cover for JR goes to the waiters? Do you believe those folks work 'less hard'? Unless they are getting the entire $5, I doubt they are getting what they should.

And what about breakfast? If I'm eating breakfast in JR (which I plan to) where is that tip coming from as there is no charge. The pooling of MDR tips is only for MTD, not regular service.

I generally tip really well, it's not about me being 'cheap' as some might accuse. It's about tipping for the service I'm getting by those providing it. I have a real issue being guilted into tipping for service I'm not getting.

The last cruise I felt I like was forced into giving crappy tips to those that were serving me cause their tips were already "included" which doesn't tell you much, yet you still get a "gratuity" line on the ticket to include one. While at the same time feeling resentful for being forced to pay for MTD gratuities when we found the MDR experience very unpleasant and we ended up only eating in there once.

Guaranteed their cut of WHAT? How much of the $5 cover for JR goes to the waiters? Do you believe those folks work 'less hard'? Unless they are getting the entire $5, I doubt they are getting what they should.

And what about breakfast? If I'm eating breakfast in JR (which I plan to) where is that tip coming from as there is no charge. The pooling of MDR tips is only for MTD, not regular service.

I generally tip really well, it's not about me being 'cheap' as some might accuse. It's about tipping for the service I'm getting by those providing it. I have a real issue being guilted into tipping for service I'm not getting.

The last cruise I felt I like was forced into giving crappy tips to those that were serving me cause their tips were already "included" which doesn't tell you much, yet you still get a "gratuity" line on the ticket to include one. While at the same time feeling resentful for being forced to pay for MTD gratuities when we found the MDR experience very unpleasant and we ended up only eating in there once.

I wasn't thinking about JRs - I was talking about Chops, Portofino etc. ... I think you are just trying to argue and it really doesn't matter what I say because you will do your hardest to pick it apart - but here it goes:

OBVIOUSLY if the food is free in JRs in the morning then that will be an example of what I was originally saying :rolleyes: The waiters that work the dinner shift in the MDR will more than likely be there serving breakfast ... all those tips are pooled. I don't understand why you think the MTD tips are just for MDR service :confused: It is pooled between all the waiters (who work the various venues breakfast, lunch and dinner) I don't know any better way to explain it!

Look, I do understand where you are coming from - but that is the system the cruise industry set up for gratuities. You don't pay as you go - I am sure a lot of people would like that.

You have the option to tip more if you want - and you are also allowed to dispute a tip (i.e. an automatic tip to the bartender) if you feel the service was bad.

That is just how it is.

Unless you choose My Time Dining which the tips are prepaid you will be assigned one of the two seatings.if you plan on not using it don't go and don't leave any type of tip but out of common courtesy tell the head waiter you will not be there:)

That is not a good comparision. You are paying for a service - by contract.

A tip or gratuity is over and above that and is a way of saying Thank You for great service.

I am of the school of not saying thank you for a service not recieved. In other words I side with the "no" crowd who don't blindly pay a gratuity for services not recieved.

In this case, if I didn't partake of the MDR I would not be leaving a gratuity. It would go to those who do serve me such as room service or the specialty dining rooms.

There are people that will say that you should leave a tip even if you never use the MDR. I understand their thinking, as that is generally thought of as part of the cost of the cruise. I don't agree with that thinking, but I understand it. They say that you are "taking their salary away" as they count on that money and get paid squat in salary.

My take is that I don't think I should be forced to pay for services that I'm not using. I'm in step with SBlair on this.

As for the "taking their salary away" people, I am pretty sure that RCI knows, after all these years of being in business, how many passengers will not be leaving their tips, and I'm sure they factor that into what they are paying the staff. Just like I imagine they know how many meals will be served in each location based on the number of pax on board.

So I've got to believe that the people like SBlair are already factored in to their salary computations.

Personally, I eat in the MDR probably 4 out of 7 nights, so I'll be leaving my suggested gratuity.

Where is the information coming from that MDR tips are pooled?

I've read more then once-they are not. No one really knows this answer. I've even read ex employees on this site post they are not and some will actually argue with them!!!:eek::rolleyes:

tchrchgo-question-we are talking about tiping-not salary. May I respectfully ask-do you tip your kids day care wokers on a weekly basis.?? do those employees work for tips and are not paid with a real base salary??

I have discussed tipping with the specialty dining staff on occasion.....their tips are pooled....if you leave an extra tip on the bill it will get pooled with the rest of the staff in that restaurant. I asked a while ago...would you rather be tipped in cash....they said absolutely, cash goes directly in my pocket and doesn't have to be shared....I alway tip my individual waiter in cash now.

I know it probably isn't the most popular choice but if my husaband and I don't choose to go to the dining room at all while on our 5 day cruise would we tip the dining room staff at all? We plan on eating in the specialty restaurants or take meals in our room or on our deck. Any advice?

The tip is included in the specialty restaurants and when you get room service you could tip them so NO I wouldn't tip in the MDR since you didn't use it. I would release my seats in the MDR if you have an assigned table so they could be used by someone else.

The tip is included in the specialty restaurants and when you get room service you could tip them so NO I wouldn't tip in the MDR since you didn't use it. I would release my seats in the MDR if you have an assigned table so they could be used by someone else.

I always tip extra in the specialties and I dine exclusive in them.

You should tip, because tips are shared, I'm sure you will eat breakfast and lunch, non pay venues. (windjammer or mdr or somewhere else on ship)

Unless things have recently changed, tips in traditional dining are not pooled.

I figure that I should leave the recommended gratuity to somebody on the cruise. If I don't eat in the MDR at all, then the WJ or specialty restaurant servers will get that amount.

We have booked MTD on several cruises, only to find that we never set foot in the MDR. We'll eat in Chops/Portofino/WJ instead. We're not going to do that anymore - we have found that MTD is oversubscribed and by taking it, we're depriving somebody who wants to eat in the MDR on a flexible schedule.

There's no good solution to the issue other than just adding a daily service charge the way every other major line seems to do now.

Can you release your MDR table? On our first and only so far cruise we didn't step foot in it once and instead did Chops/Portofino/Johnny Rockets/and WJ every night. We did however tip extra in all of them though. Even in the WJ.

On our next cruise we plan on doing the same thing.

I am a little upset to hear the tips in the specialty places are "pooled" :(

If I had known that I would have taken cash.

We had exceptional service from our waiter in Chops this past week and I left an additional 20% tip on the ticket that I had signed that went on my Seapass. Now to find out he will likely only receive a dollar or two of that tip upsets me a little.

I will at least know what to do the next time.

They probably pool the tips in the specialty restaurants because so many people participate in bringing your food to you, not just the person who takes your orders. We had a group of 12 in Portofino one night, and 6 people brought the entrees so we would get them at the same time. So perhaps their rationale is that it evens out over the course of an evening or a cruise.

Archived