NCL stop the 15% gratuity on drinks, please

PleaseNo

I think if the cruise lines would just tack on an additional $1 to the price of each drink/beer/glass of wine the customers would actually be happier than seeing that automatic 18% added.

Just for the record (especially if any newbies are reading), it's 15%, not 18%.

Everybody KNOWS was a tip or gratuity is but do they ever really think about what it IS?

A gratuity is an additional monetary value that a customer gives based on the service received. It should be voluntary and at the discretion of the customer based on the level of service they feel they received. It is normally a percentage based on the value of the service provided.

What the cruise lines should implement is a flat fee service charge! Why? Because of the example presented above between the single $2000 bottle of wine and the 100 $20 bottles of wine.

Here's another example to ponder as to why it should be a flat fee service charge:

I like a very expensive type of bourbon. My buddy likes Jack Daniels. His Jack & Coke is $5.50 and my bourbon on the rocks is $12. My buddy actually requires more "service" for his drink than I do mine. Yet with the percentage based gratuity I pay an additional $1.17 for a service that required less effort.

I think if the cruise lines would just tack on an additional $1 to the price of each drink/beer/glass of wine the customers would actually be happier than seeing that automatic 18% added. Plus, the servers that are actually doing a better job may end up making more money because people may tip on top of the drink charge.

For bottles of wine, add another $5-$6 to the cost to break it down to the average number of glasses per bottle.

Sounds good to me, but we already know my views are in the minority of this board :(

Oops... thanks for the correction! I'm too used to dining in the Bay Area!

No problem. However, again for the record, the automatic gratuity for spa treatments is 18% (not 15%). I've never really understood why the spa staff deserves 3% more than bar staff. Maybe someone can shed some light on this?

Edited by johnql

From our Gals:

Sorry guys....no cruise next year.

Why not??

Well....if our memory serves us correctly, (and it always does) you guys TIPPED too much on the last cruise.

Huh??? :confused: ... ??

No, no, no dear......we didn't TIP too much....we drank too much.:D

(Gals)

See!!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

Not sure if this was mentioned previously, please forgive me if it was. At least with the daily service charge, you can go to the customer relations desk at the end of your cruise and adjust it down if you don't think your room steward or MDR server did a good job, or up if you think they were outstanding. I like to tip them in cash on the last night because then I can tell them in person what a great job they did and I think they really appreciate that. With a bar gratuity, you pay 15% regardless.

No problem. However, again for the record, the automatic gratuity for spa treatments is 18% (not 15%). I've never really understood why the spa staff deserves 3% more than bar staff. Maybe someone can shed some light on this?

The Spa staff comes from countries that are 3% poorer than the bartenders and it's our job as American cruisers to make sure everyone feels equally loved and special?? ;)

I don't object to the 15% gratuity, but the basic prices of the drinks was astonishing to me when we just sailed on the Pearl. The two for one was a joke too because only one person was allowed to drink the two drinks...In expensive cities we don't pay as much for drinks of the same size.

I don't object to the 15% gratuity, but the basic prices of the drinks was astonishing to me when we just sailed on the Pearl. The two for one was a joke too because only one person was allowed to drink the two drinks...In expensive cities we don't pay as much for drinks of the same size.

Not sure which cities you're referring to, but NCL's drink prices would be a welcome reduction compared to most bars in NYC.

I like to tip them in cash on the last night because then I can tell them in person what a great job they did and I think they really appreciate that. With a bar gratuity, you pay 15% regardless.

Based on the conversations I've had, they do NOT. They prefer the certainty of the DSC, being able to budget a more stable income, than having to put on a fake smile and act all grateful for your largesse, just so you can feel good about yourself.

Stick with the DSC, and remove the whole archaic and awkward 'tipping' concept from your cruise.

It's much less stressful, and the employees prefer it.

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

Except that your numbers are all wrong. On NCL and most other lines, stewards work in teams of two and have up to 30 cabins per pair. Let's assume that this team gets $3.50 a day from the $12 pp/pd service charge. That would make $2,940 per month each, minus what they have to pay other members of the housekeeping staff out of pocket (yes, that's correct) to do the rooms of passengers who don't leave their cabins until afternoon, and not including the couple of hundred dollars a month the cruiseline gives them that month. They have 12 hours of physical work a day (approximately 7 a.m.-1 p.m. and 5-10 p.m.), 7 days a week, every day of the year except the 8-12 weeks when they're at home and don't get paid at all (zero paid vacation days, although they do get airfare home and back). They also don't get paid sick days and if they are so unfortunate as to become seriously injured on the job, they're terminated and sent home. I guess you could call sharing a tiny cabin with 3-5 others "free room," although I think it's stretching the point.

I very much doubt that you'd be squealing about how good you have it if these were your working conditions for $26,460-29,400 annually -- or considerably less $ than that if people like you had your way and were able to stiff the staff because you don't think they did anything "special" and tipping is only for "above and beyond."

Also consider that the daily service charge doesn't necessarily mean the team of two gets $3.50 a day. The $12 goes into a pool that's split among all tippable staff (minus bar staff) on board. I would be interested in knowing exactly how it gets divided up between food staff and housekeeping staff, if anyone has this info.

My math is correct! I used 20 cabins as an average - your 30 makes the numbers even higher! The steward earns the $3.50 per day and he pays an assistant $1 per day (per person), if he in fact hires one! I can not attest to how NCL splits the $12 per day they charge, but having sailed on Princes and Carnival this is the breakdown they have:

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

As for your remark about my "Squealing" about earning $29K per year - my military retirement pay for 21 years service is far less! If my average yearly income was $2,050 as it is in the Philippines, I would feel very blessed to be earning 10 times the national average! The same holds true of most of the countries supplying cruise ships - check out the CIA site for wages.

I will never understand why people insist on trying to figure out what the crew makes.

It's irrelevant not to mention nobody's buisness.

Some people cry about them making so little and feeling they need to supplement their measly salary by tipping...some people crunch supposed 'tip' numbers and come up with a figure so big that they get pissed off that a person who cleans cabins or serves food makes more than they do so they don't/won't tip.

:rolleyes:

The service charge is just that. It is standard on most all mass market cruise lines. Just pay the dang thing.

And if your service is above and beyond (and I have rarely experienced anything BUT that) and if you aren't a number cruncher and you just enjoy giving an extra tip to show appreciation for a job well done, then just do it.

Edited by halos

halos, I agree. I don't know or care what they make but it requires being away from family and friends for months on end AND the hours are long and the work is hard. They deserve whatever it is!!!

Also, they work for a number of months and then they are off for a while. Doesn't that mean that what they make while on board has to be stretched out to cover those months when they are home waiting for a new contract offer?

I'm in the bar business (on land, of course) and actually, I don't like the idea of the built-in tip, and many resorts on land are starting to apply it. The reality is that the cruise line is going to pay the employee the same amount of $ no matter what -- there may be a shortage of staff officers, but not Third World waiters, bartenders and cabin stewards. What the line is doing is paying the same salary but using your tip money to do it. The reason I don't like the built-in tip as a barman is because you make less money. I buy a bottle of beer I'm going to leave $1 -- already about 20-25%. Sure, not everybody will, but you'll going to come out ahead at the end of the night -- particularly where people are on vacation and throwing $ around. Admittedly, the lack of cash on board is an issue with this. As a customer on the other hand, i have no obligation to leave more and I come out a head of the game with the 15%. Seriously, I think the tip on a bottle of beer aboard NCl was something like .62 cents; I'd get the s--t kicked out of me if I pulled a stunt like that anyplace legit!

halos, I agree. I don't know or care what they make but it requires being away from family and friends for months on end AND the hours are long and the work is hard. They deserve whatever it is!!!

Also, they work for a number of months and then they are off for a while. Doesn't that mean that what they make while on board has to be stretched out to cover those months when they are home waiting for a new contract offer?

I am pretty sure on NCL that the crew (prior to their vacation time when their contract is up) put in requests for which ship they want to be on for their next contract. I am pretty sure that unless they get fired they will have a contract...no waiting involved.

I'm in the bar business (on land, of course) and actually, I don't like the idea of the built-in tip, and many resorts on land are starting to apply it. The reality is that the cruise line is going to pay the employee the same amount of $ no matter what -- there may be a shortage of staff officers, but not Third World waiters, bartenders and cabin stewards. What the line is doing is paying the same salary but using your tip money to do it. The reason I don't like the built-in tip as a barman is because you make less money. I buy a bottle of beer I'm going to leave $1 -- already about 20-25%. Sure, not everybody will, but you'll going to come out ahead at the end of the night -- particularly where people are on vacation and throwing $ around. Admittedly, the lack of cash on board is an issue with this. As a customer on the other hand, i have no obligation to leave more and I come out a head of the game with the 15%. Seriously, I think the tip on a bottle of beer aboard NCl was something like .62 cents; I'd get the s--t kicked out of me if I pulled a stunt like that anyplace legit!

I can't speak for most people, only myself and the others I sail with...BUT everyone I sail with tips on top of the 15%.

cash is not needed. There is a line on the slip to add additional tip to your on board account.

I also believe that people who have tipped jobs are the best tippers. When I was a hairdresser, I got my best tip from a bartender.

Edited by halos

wow what cities do you drink in? I think the difference is, at home we do not go out drinking every night, or I don't anyway. I do drink everynight (my wine) but I do it at home most of the time. Here and we certainly do not live in an expensive city, a glass of wine will range from about $6 to $11 plus tax on that: a basic coctail like scotch and water (mid quality) will be about $6 to $8 and a decent martini from $7 to $9. They are no larger than on the ship, some are smaller. We were on the Pearly last spring and were allowed to order 2 drinks for 2 different people. I don't know when you sailed, maybe they have changed. I did ask a friend who just got off an NCl ship about this, she said they were allowed to order 2 and have 2 people drink them.

NIta

I agree as well. They do deserve what they make; many have families at home with small children they do not get to watch grow up and they do work long hours. I do not resent paying them at all. God knows I wouldn't want their jobs, I don't care if they live on Easy Street.

Nita

If they want a "next" contract they have it in hand before they leave for vacation.

PE

Sorry if this is a repeat question and slightly off topic but we are new to NCL and freestyle.

If you don't sit at the same table most nights, do you not tip the waitstaff extra? We had a great waiter on our last cruise (Celebrity Sostice) and rewarded him accordingly. I see from an earlier post that part of the room fee goes to waitstaff. Do we just count on that?

Thanks

Sorry if this is a repeat question and slightly off topic but we are new to NCL and freestyle.

If you don't sit at the same table most nights, do you not tip the waitstaff extra? We had a great waiter on our last cruise (Celebrity Sostice) and rewarded him accordingly. I see from an earlier post that part of the room fee goes to waitstaff. Do we just count on that?

Thanks

The DSC covers the waitstaff among others. If you want to do something extra for a special server you can 1) leave cash at the table 2) make sure you get their name and add it to your onboard account at the purser's desk or 3) make sure you get their name and fill out a STYLE card for them. The STYLE cards mean bonuses, promotions, etc. so if any staff member shines take the time to fill one out.

The crew has a scheduled amount of time off, usually a month. Different departments have different contract lengths. Vacations are usually a month but can be shorter or longer. With the exception of PofA, crew members are not paid during their vacation times. They must save $$ to live on for this time. They usually know their return ship and date when they leave for vacation.

My opinion: The crew deserves their tips (my DS is NOT a tipped employee). I don't have a problem with bar staff being tipped for each drink. They do a lot of extra running around to earn those tips. I don't drink often and don't have kids in kids crew so I don't feel my DSC should include bar staff and Kids crew, which it doesn't. I do eat and use my stateroom so I should tip these crew members. Even if I were to eat every day at the buffet (which I did most of one cruise) I still would not pull any tip money just because I didn't have 5 course dining in the main dining room. I still had a clean table in the buffet and was attended to there also. And the dining room staff was waiting there in case I wanted to eat there.

Many countries don't tip except for extraordinary service. Cruise line crew wages are based on tip income. That's been the norm for YEARS, since cruising became a vacation style. It is part of the expense of cruising. I assure you, the tipped staff is not living like royalty at home. Just accept that it is part of the expense and let it go!

Thanks

If you get a wait person you really like you can request him/her nightly or set something up, but generally you will get a different one each night. That is why the auto tipping is set the way it is. All lines that have open dining are doing this in some form or another including RCI/Celebrity. If you choose open dining on them tips are paid prior to sailing. Now, if you love the person and use him/her over and over you are free to give extra. Yes, a good part of the tips pool goes to the wait staff.

Nita