NCL stop the 15% gratuity on drinks, please

PleaseNo

If you want to do something extra for a special server you can 1) leave cash at the table 2) make sure you get their name and add it to your onboard account at the purser's desk or 3) make sure you get their name and fill out a STYLE card for them. The STYLE cards mean bonuses, promotions, etc. so if any staff member shines take the time to fill one out.

This is good advice. We like to leave a few bucks on the table, even in the buffet. Not alot, between $1 and $5 depending where we eat and how much work we are. If we get a great server we try to get his/her name and leave a STYLE card for them. I consider the share of the DSC the crew receives part of thier base compensation no matter how you try to spin it. I like to show my appreciation and thanks to the people who specifically impact my cruise positivley. This also applies to the bartenders;). This is just the way we were brought up.

Obviously, tip what you want, but the person you are tipping via the additional tip line on is not the person who gets to keep the money. The money is put into a fund to offset the wages of all the employees not covered under the daily surcharge or who are not under a seaman's guild contract. So if you think you're doing a particular bartender a "solid," you're not. Cruise lines operate under "Foreign Choice" provisions which mean that the comfy employment laws and practices that we are used to in the USA do not apply -- including wages. This is one reason why there are no US flagged cruise ships Cash is the only way to insure that a particular crew member is getting the reward, but remember to use discretion and not tip when other crew members are present. Crew members who are known to get cash tips are expected to "spread the wealth" below decks where there is a whole underworld that passengers don't even know about and that ship's management has little control over. Just like the school yard bully that steals the lunch money, there are gangs working below decks who seldom see the light of day and who aren't going to let your friendly cabin steward end a cruise with hundreds of US dollars in his pocket.

My understanding is that the 25-30% surcharge for British cruisers is levied to cover the costs of extra staff in the home office to handle gratuity complaints and process DSC refunds.

Finally' date=' [/font']it shouldn't be understated that cruisers outside of the US who are sailing NCL pay considerably more for their cruise than US PAX. On a like for like basis UK cruisers will often pay 25 or 30% more for the same cruise and are prevented from booking thru' US websites.

My understanding is that the 25-30% surcharge for British cruisers is levied to cover the costs of extra staff in the home office to handle gratuity complaints and process DSC refunds.

Might I suggest you get a smaller brush for your bucket of tar? :rolleyes:

Obviously, tip what you want, but the person you are tipping via the additional tip line on is not the person who gets to keep the money. .

Not true...talked with bartender on the Dawn and what you give that bartender or bar waiter is theirs.

Edited by halos

Not true...talked with bartender on the Dawn and what you give that bartender or bar waiter is theirs.

Yes, what you give....hand to....is theirs to keep. I'm reading that post to mean adding extra on the tip line of the slip that you sign.;)

It was another cruise line, but in the specialty restaurant, our server crossed out that line becasue if you add extra there, it is put in the pool. He preferred we give him cash if we chose to tip extra.

Yes, what you give....hand to....is theirs to keep. I'm reading that post to mean adding extra on the tip line of the slip that you sign.;)

It was another cruise line, but in the specialty restaurant, our server crossed out that line becasue if you add extra there, it is put in the pool. He preferred we give him cash if we chose to tip extra.

I was also speaking about the tip line.

According to what the bartender told me 2 weeks ago, whatever is on those slips (the 15 % plus any extra) belongs to the server (at least on NCL)

This is likely why those bartenders/waiters are always busting their butts to get you to buy from them...if what was on the slips was pooled, they wouldn't be nearly as 'attentive'

Edited by halos

In the UK i approach a barman and purchase a drink, he removes the lid and charges me. He doesn't then stand there and tell me i HAVE to pay another 15% on top of the original price just for him to do his job.
Well, guess what? When you're on an NCL ship, you're not in the UK any more.

In the UK, I speak English to barmen. Does that mean that when I go to Italy, I should expect to speak English to barmen, because that's what I have grown up with in the UK?

Indeed, does it mean that when the barman fails to understand me the first time, I should make sure that he does understand me by the time-honoured British technique of speaking English much louder?

Frankly, I am embarrassed to read this post.

Frankly, I am embarrassed to read this post.

Don't be. It doesn't matter what country one is from, some people are travelers, some are not.

(LOL...In all reality, I'm not a traveler either. I'm not even a tourist.

I'm just a cruiser. :p)

To get all yankee on y'all, I have no idea what you are saying, but I love the way you say it!

A UK expression is 'tarring everyone with the same brush' - meaning the making of an over-arching generalisation about a group of people.

Comments to the effect that all Limeys stiff on tips is as insulting as saying all Yanks are insular or ignorant. Some are - some are not.

The RollEyes smiley :rolleyes: gives an opportunity to show that the statement is ironic/humourous. (Internet etiquette 101)

(I do not take offense but some of my countrymen might) (also I am happily married to a lovely American lady). :D

I am an Englishman (and proud of it) and I do subscribe to the 'when in Rome do as the Romans do' despite my personal views on the whole tipping culture.

I regard the $12 per person per day DSC and 15% booze gratuity as sufficient except where my room steward or a particular waiter has performed 'over and above' the call of duty in which case they will get an extra tip. (Waiters on the Jade in the Martini bar please take note - we shall be there in August :D )

I was also speaking about the tip line.

According to what the bartender told me 2 weeks ago, whatever is on those slips (the 15 % plus any extra) belongs to the server (at least on NCL)

This is likely why those bartenders/waiters are always busting their butts to get you to buy from them...if what was on the slips was pooled, they wouldn't be nearly as 'attentive'

Wasn't clear to me that you were talking about the tip line.;) I guess it differs with waiters and bar servers. I have put extra on the tip line and I've also just handed them extra.:)

Edited by iheartbda

• 2 years later...

I am an Englishman (and proud of it) and I do subscribe to the 'when in Rome do as the Romans do' despite my personal views on the whole tipping culture.

Except that Italians do not normally tip - so when in Rome, would not really apply ;)

I have never known anyone remove the 15% optional gratuity, but the simple fact that it is optional or suggested (according to NCL in the UK) would imply that they can remove it from the account during the cruise. Not sure how NCL would handle someone who does not wish to pay the 15% when purchasing the UDP or UBP beforehand. I would assume they would decline the sale!

Personally whilst I dislike paying extra, when there is already a hefty mark-up on the product, I accept it and move on E.G. A bottle of wine might cost €1 or €2 in Europe, but is sold a lot higher on-board.

i love these tipping threads! :D

too lazy to read through the rest of Pg 1 and beyond. but i will share this:

having waiting tables to earn money between semesters, was an amazing experience. not only do you get to meet all kinds of customers, you become a better consumer as well!

you know who makes out the best in the world of tipping? i'll tell you who...it's the guy at the diner down the road who served all 15 of us after we closed our restaurant [of employement] looking to unwind a little before we all went home. forget the auto 18% (NY/NJ) for parties of 6 or more...this dude was good for the rest of his shift! :D

now to the contrary:

i think tipping has gotten outta control...to the extent where i see tip jars in places i never even would think to tip! opening a beer bottle? I can see the debate on that. but to make a legitimate cocktail (from scratch...not mixers)...THAT IS A SKILL! TIP AWAY!!! :D

Edited by ZoneHPH

i love these tipping threads! :D

too lazy to read through the rest of Pg 1 and beyond. but i will share this:

having waiting tables to earn money between semesters, was an amazing experience. not only do you get to meet all kinds of customers, you become a better consumer as well!

you know who makes out the best in the world of tipping? i'll tell you who...it's the guy at the diner down the road who served all 15 of us after we closed our restaurant [of employement] looking to unwind a little before we all went home. forget the auto 18% (NY/NJ) for parties of 6 or more...this dude was good for the rest of his shift! :D

now to the contrary:

i think tipping has gotten outta control...to the extent where i see tip jars in places i never even would think to tip! opening a beer bottle? I can see the debate on that. but to make a legitimate cocktail (from scratch...not mixers)...THAT IS A SKILL! TIP AWAY!!! :D

Of course this particular thread was started 3 years ago;).

PleaseNo,

I am comfortable with the current system that automatically adds a 15% tip to drinks that I may order.

Your post implied that because you are from the UK and tipping is not the custom there, that you shouldn't be forced to accept forced tipping.

I am aware of different tipping customs, living in Germany for four years. On the continent, Europeans generally include a prepaid service charge, so tipping is usually only the loose change, a modest amount.

While living in Germany, I did not complain about their customs, I was in their country. Cruise lines adding the 15% is similar to adding such a service charge. When you travel to countries like Germany, do you complain about paying the service included charge?

Trying to second guess the cruise line about how much they pay their servers is not helpful. You are not in management and are unfamiliar with the pay and benefits, as well as how generous these jobs pay relative to what is paid for similar jobs, if available in their home country. Clearly, many crewmembers work for several years on cruise ships and satisfied with their compensation.

Also, if the service charges are abolished, what do you propose for the alternative? If it is individuals adding their own tips, that might work, except for people (possibly you) that don't feel obligated to tip. This would reduce the salary of the staff, probably requiring a pay raise, probably raising the prices for all of us. I'll keep the current system.

The auto-tip thing came as a shock to me when I first sailed on an American line.

At first I assumed it was in the price shown (it was on RCL) as it was nearly double the price per drink you'd pay at a local bar or on a UK line like P&O so I gulped when I realised it was double + an extra 15%!

Several American cruise line trips later and whilst a small minority of US cruisers seem only to shout rather than talk the fellow passenger mix and crew enhance the experience rather than the same old discussions at a Brit bar on weather.,. Here I can argue why American Football should be called handball :)

I just buy the UBP now. Pre-pay before the cruise so treat it as part of the cruise price and drink when send what I like. And even give nice bar staff extra cash tips :)

It's a culture thing.. Same as the need for lots of US pax to order multiple meals, starters, entrees, desserts which I find odd..

It's all about the experience ;)

You are making a big to-do about nothing. Let me explain why.

For the purposes of this example, we consider an item priced at $1. With the 15% tip that would come to $1.15.

You advocate removing the auto-tip. Fine. As a result of the removal, the cruise line raises the price to $1.15.

You pay the same price either way.

So....

You can either pay $1.15 for the item or you can pay $1 plus $0.15. Either way you pay the same.

Is it really worth all the hub-bub in the end?

Agreed. Also, if I have to sit next to this guy at dinner, someone please, throw me overboard.