Rowan's. Marvin's or Moby Dick's?

anjoliza

Which snorkel tour would you suggest? and what site is better for snorkeling - Coral Gardens or Barrier Reef?

Would appreciate any help or advice you can give.

Thanks!

we've got marvin's booked for april. ruth has been great at emailing. their half day excursion goes to both places for snorkeling.

We used Moby Dick on our last cruise to GC and have them booked again for this April. Not crowded, helpful crew, no pressure to buy photos, good gear - including kid sizes if needed - and great service. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info so far, hopefully I will receive more comments.

I like how Rowan's will make up a CD of pictures that were taken right there with you - not a bunch of underwater shots that were taken other times and things that you didn't even see. I would save me having to bother with an underwater camera. I'm not sure if Marvin's does this or not. The Moby Dick site does say that it does not have a photographer but will help take pictures with our own cameras.

The pictures on Rowan's site show the boat to be pretty crowded - don't really like the idea of being stuffed in like sardines.

We just got back from GC and did the reef and rays with Stingraysailing dot com. Michelle and Chip have a great little bussiness going.The pick us up at the port and took us to the catamaran and then take you out to the rays .Its is the most incredible thing.Then after the rays we headed over to the reef and snorkled there.It was really nice and relaxing.There were 9 on our boat and the other boats had them packed in like sardines. We then cruiseed back in adn they took us back to the port in there AC bus. Check out there website and i guarentte you will not be disapointed with them. They will take a maximun of like 28 passengers on there boat.We sat up fron on the trampoline type thing and ther water was going under us as we headed out.it was very cool.they also have a bathroom on board and cold beers and comp. water and fruit after the reef and ray part. Drop them an email and i think you will be impressed with there responses.She does the emails late at night so you won't get a response till like midnight or so.If you want to see some pics drop me your email address.

We just got back from GC and did the reef and rays with Stingraysailing dot com. Michelle and Chip have a great little bussiness going.The pick us up at the port and took us to the catamaran and then take you out to the rays .Its is the most incredible thing.Then after the rays we headed over to the reef and snorkled there.It was really nice and relaxing.There were 9 on our boat and the other boats had them packed in like sardines. We then cruiseed back in adn they took us back to the port in there AC bus. Check out there website and i guarentte you will not be disapointed with them. They will take a maximun of like 28 passengers on there boat.We sat up fron on the trampoline type thing and ther water was going under us as we headed out.it was very cool.they also have a bathroom on board and cold beers and comp. water and fruit after the reef and ray part. Drop them an email and i think you will be impressed with there responses.She does the emails late at night so you won't get a response till like midnight or so.If you want to see some pics drop me your email address.

Thanks for the info - how long of a drive is it from the port to where you board their board? Do they have a photographer along taking pics in and out of the water? Do you snorkel at the Barrier Reef or a Coral Gardens? and lastly how long is the actual tour?

I would love to see some pics - ajekamps@live.ca

Thanks for the info - how long of a drive is it from the port to where you board their board? Do they have a photographer along taking pics in and out of the water? Do you snorkel at the Barrier Reef or a Coral Gardens? and lastly how long is the actual tour?

I would love to see some pics - ajekamps@live.ca[/q

Better yet here is a couple videos of our day. The trip is about 3.5 hours or so.they pick you up right at the pier when you get off at the tender and drive you back with lots of time to shop or eat or beach. Very friendly family owned bussiness. Chip is born in GC and Michelle is transplanted from California for 13 years. look at some of the pics on web of this place and look at how crowed the boats are when they get there and then look at how much room we had on our boat and in the water. I am not sure what reef they snorkle at but its got the coral sticking out of the water and its just as nice as when I snorkled at belize. Thesawch from Winterpeg manitoba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kADRJmILCB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8P0BLb6Vm0

We just got back from our cruise to GC and we did the island tour & stingray city with Rowan's. The island tour was basically a drive to the Turtle Farm with a 10 mins stop at the Hell lava formation. After the Turtle Farm we walked over to a dolphin aquarium and waited for our ride. The operator went back to the pier to pick up some more customers. He left Polo (photographer) with us, and we never did get a guided tour of the Turtle Farm. Polo sort of works as and independent photographer and only gets paid from the CDs he sells you at the end of the excursion.

To be honest, Rowan seemed to be a bit disorganized. All the other groups at the Turtle Farm received a guided tour, but we were left to explore the farm on our own with Polo while the operator went to pick up more customers.

I can't comment on the snorkel since I'm not a swimmer but the wife said there wasn't much to see.

If I had a choice to do this again, I probably wouldn't mind booking with Rowan again.

We just got back from our cruise to GC and we did the island tour & stingray city with Rowan's. The island tour was basically a drive to the Turtle Farm with a 10 mins stop at the Hell lava formation. After the Turtle Farm we walked over to a dolphin aquarium and waited for our ride. The operator went back to the pier to pick up some more customers. He left Polo (photographer) with us, and we never did get a guided tour of the Turtle Farm. Polo sort of works as and independent photographer and only gets paid from the CDs he sells you at the end of the excursion.

To be honest, Rowan seemed to be a bit disorganized. All the other groups at the Turtle Farm received a guided tour, but we were left to explore the farm on our own with Polo while the operator went to pick up more customers.

I can't comment on the snorkel since I'm not a swimmer but the wife said there wasn't much to see.

If I had a choice to do this again, I probably wouldn't mind booking with Rowan again.

Just curious to why you would rebook with him if it was this disorganized??

I would love to see some pics - ajekamps@live.ca[/q

Better yet here is a couple videos of our day. The trip is about 3.5 hours or so.they pick you up right at the pier when you get off at the tender and drive you back with lots of time to shop or eat or beach. Very friendly family owned bussiness. Chip is born in GC and Michelle is transplanted from California for 13 years. look at some of the pics on web of this place and look at how crowed the boats are when they get there and then look at how much room we had on our boat and in the water. I am not sure what reef they snorkle at but its got the coral sticking out of the water and its just as nice as when I snorkled at belize. Thesawch from Winterpeg manitoba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kADRJmILCB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8P0BLb6Vm0

Hey there, fellow Canuck - how are things in Winterpeg?? ;) We have had what seems to be a long winter here in Niagara.

Thanks for sending the videos - I can't wait to go, it looks amazing!!

We just came back from our cruise and used Moby Dick for the stingray/snorkeling tour. There were 12 people on the boat, so we weren't crowded while we were in the water. Lots of time to interact and hold the stingrays. Watched one of the tour guides feed a huge lamprey eel at the reef.

Price was $45pp, picked up at the pier, about 3.5hr, water and juice available to drink, didn't have to pay until we got to the pier.

On the way back people could be dropped off anywhere they wanted and make their own way back to the ship.

I would book this tour again.

Thanks for the info so far, hopefully I will receive more comments.

I like how Rowan's will make up a CD of pictures that were taken right there with you - not a bunch of underwater shots that were taken other times and things that you didn't even see. I would save me having to bother with an underwater camera. I'm not sure if Marvin's does this or not. The Moby Dick site does say that it does not have a photographer but will help take pictures with our own cameras.

The pictures on Rowan's site show the boat to be pretty crowded - don't really like the idea of being stuffed in like sardines.

Polo, the photographer for Rowan, takes EXCELLENT pictures. As you noted, at end of the tour, on the way back to the pier where you boarded the boat, you get a chance to review the pictures that Polo took of you at the Stingray City and at the Coral Garden. He charges $40 for a CD full of images--mostly you and the coral and other fishes that were taken that same day. Trust his experience and his equipment. I thought it was an excellent deal.

As for the crowdedness on the boat, it's a function of how well booked their tour is on that day. Other accounts I have read here and on tripadvisor indicate it's mostly a small group. My group was 9 people, including a toddler. We didn't feel crowded at all, and my son and I got to hang out at the upperdeck right next to captain's seat.

I, for one, had an excellent experience with Rowan and will book with them again the next time we are at GC.

We used Captain Marvin last week and had a great time. Their half-day excursion includes Stingray City plus snorkeling at the reef and Coral Gardens (which IMO weren't a whole lot different from each other in terms of fish/coral). Our guides also dove and pulled up some starfish for us to hold. Water and punch to drink on the ship, CD of photographs was $30, price of the tour was $40. They dropped us off at the beach on the way back (we could have been dropped at the pier too). No complaints - we had a great time and would book with them again.

We will be there end of April and I too am trying to decide between Moby Dick and Captain Marvin. I know that Moby Dick always gets great reviews, but Captain Marvin is $5-10 pp cheaper (short or 1/2 day). With a large group of 9 of us the difference adds up. Is there anyone who has experience with both to help with if Moby dick is worth the extra money. With Captain marvin the 1/2 day lets you snorkle at both places.

• 4 weeks later...
We will be there end of April and I too am trying to decide between Moby Dick and Captain Marvin. I know that Moby Dick always gets great reviews, but Captain Marvin is $5-10 pp cheaper (short or 1/2 day). With a large group of 9 of us the difference adds up. Is there anyone who has experience with both to help with if Moby dick is worth the extra money. With Captain marvin the 1/2 day lets you snorkle at both places.

We are facing the same selection for April's cruise. We are a big group with 25 pps, reads lots good review about Moby Dick, but need to know if it worth the $250 differences. What is your decision?

Archived