What would you do with two 17 yo girls in GC?

#4'smom

We have never been to Grand Cayman and are looking forward to it alot. We thought that we'd do 7 mile beach but I was wondering if there is something else that people would recommend for our girls... We have never snorkeled before, do you need to be experienced for the snorkle tours? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We have never been to Grand Cayman and are looking forward to it alot. We thought that we'd do 7 mile beach but I was wondering if there is something else that people would recommend for our girls... We have never snorkeled before' date=' do you need to be experienced for the snorkle tours? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

I would highly suggest stingray city. No need to snorkel if you do not wish. The stingray city sandbar water goes up to your waist/chest. You interact with the stingrays (which are not dangerous). My kids 11 and 13 loved it. It truly is a lifetime experience. Check out trip advisor to see which tour company suits your needs.

Cristy:)

Check out trip advisor to see which tour company suits your needs.

Just last month we did the Stingray sandbar tour with Moby Dick Tours. If you do some research in the ports of call section you'll see recommendations on many tour companies - this is where I made my decision from.

We were VERY happy with our tour and the operators/guides. It was an absolutely wonderful way to spend the afternoon and interact with the stingrays. We still had time afterwards to do a bit of browsing and to grab a bite/drink before catching the tender back to the ship.

I agree with the above - we used Moby Dick on our last tour to GC and are booked with them again in April. No need for experience to snorkel - they provide the gear, including inflatable vest, so all you need to do is float, look and enjoy! ;)

Great service, friendly crew, not crowded, no pressure to buy photos or videos, and cheaper than the cruiseline tour :D -- and you'll get 7 years luck if you kiss a stingray! :rolleyes:

Good luck! :)

Many of the SRC tours are coupled with a stop for snorkeling. It is quite easy to do once you get used to the feeling. I'd recommend trying it out before you go at a local indoor pool if possible. Most tours provide you with mask, snorkel, fins and even a flotation device. I"d highly recommend it.

At first I thought this was a trick question to lure out the pedophiles. :eek:

Just last month we did the Stingray sandbar tour with Moby Dick Tours. If you do some research in the ports of call section you'll see recommendations on many tour companies - this is where I made my decision from.

We were VERY happy with our tour and the operators/guides. It was an absolutely wonderful way to spend the afternoon and interact with the stingrays. We still had time afterwards to do a bit of browsing and to grab a bite/drink before catching the tender back to the ship.

This was our experience as well. We really liked the Moby Dick tour and guides and would use them again in a heartbeat.

Stingraysailing.com is also a very good comapny to book with.We used them last week and it turned out to be the best excursion we have ever done after 4 cruises.The have a AC bus and the also have a washroom on board there boat to use. Free comp water and fruit and beers after for 5 bucks each..Chip and Michelle are great. They were not over crowed like the ships excursion tours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kADRJmILCB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8P0BLb6Vm0

I took my Girl Scout Troop a few years ago and the girls were age 15-18 and they Loved the Reef, Rays & Rum Point excursion with Native Way.. They werent sure what to think at 1st about the Stingrays but quickly found them to be very gentle and it was the highlight of the trip.

Most of the Stingray trips will give you time to snorkel as mentioned and if you take one of the 1st trips of the day they will generally drop you off at 7 mile beach on the return trip so you can get some beach time... From there you can return to the ship by cab for $5 pp or $2.50 by bus which is really just a van.. Just be sure to give yourself plenty of time since the road to the port get congested and it is a tender port which also takes time.

Have a Great Cruise:D

Another vote for the stingrays. It is a unique experience and a lot of fun for all ages. We also did Moby Dick Tours.

The excerpt is from our review (see remainder below)

In Grand Cayman, we booked a stingray excursion directly with Moby Dick Tours. This was greatly entertaining and well managed. When we got to the sandbar, there were a lot of boats there and Mark elected to reverse the snorkeling and stingrays. The snorkeling was nearby on a reef with a fair amount of fish, coral and even some eels. The kids thought it was great once they got accustomed to it. Despite making a note to do so otherwise, we had never had them practice and learning in the open ocean is a bit more difficult. We brought our own masks and snorkels although the ones that Moby dick had available were very good quality (a lot of people just brought snorkels). We then went over to the stingrays. We had plenty of squid to feed, the guides made sure everyone got to feed, hold and kiss the stingrays. This was our favorite excursion overall. Afterwards, on the recommendation from the tour owner, we stopped at restaurant called Rack ‘Em for lunch which was about half a block from the cruise terminal. Although a bit pricey, the food was very good and they offered a ladder down into the bay where we did some more snorkeling. We saw a lot of sea life and enjoyed it almost as much, if not more than the snorkeling at the reef.

We used Moby Dick in February to see the Stingrays. I agree it's a great excursion for the whole family. I think I laughed the whole time in the water because it was just so amazing. When we got to the pier they only had 7 people booked but agreed to go out anyways. In the end there were 12 people, so we had lots of help from the crew to hold and touch the stingrays. We saw other boats around that were very crowded and we're glad we booked with Moby Dick. Another plus is that they don't require any upfront payment, just pay when you get to the pier.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the Stingray trips will give you time to snorkel as mentioned and if you take one of the 1st trips of the day they will generally drop you off at 7 mile beach on the return trip so you can get some beach time... From there you can return to the ship by cab for $5 pp or $2.50 by bus which is really just a van.. Just be sure to give yourself plenty of time since the road to the port get congested and it is a tender port which also takes time.

This is exactly what I did w/daughters 14 and 22 years old. They've never snorkeled before...and loved it. Went w/Capt. Marvin's. Got on his first trip of the day, after, he dropped us at 7 mile beach, right across from his dock area. We ate lunch at a Tiki restaurant right there on the beach, then walked the beach a while, picking up coral and shells. When we got tired, just walked to the main road...cabs stop for you. Back to town for some quick shopping and back to the boat.

Nice way to see lots of Grand Cayman.

Peg

I guess we are the only ones that didn't enjoy swimming with the sting rays. We found it a little scary, after the safety lecture and they just kept sucking onto our backs.and you can't just swat them away. It was a little creepy.

I guess we are the only ones that didn't enjoy swimming with the sting rays. We found it a little scary, after the safety lecture and they just kept sucking onto our backs.and you can't just swat them away. It was a little creepy.

That's weird. Normally, if you stay away from the squid and a little off to the side, they'll totally ignore you...they're a lot like cats in that way, IMO. If you aren't giving them treats or attention, they could care less if you're around. :D Sorry you didn't have a good time.

We've been dozens of times, and never get tired of the experience.

We did Reef, Rays and RumPoint Beach with Nativeways too! It was great! We were picked up at pier, and driven to the boat and went out to meet the stingrays first. It was an opportunity of a lifetime. It was worth every penny to get up close and personal with these gentle creatures. Next we snorkelled and they give you lifebelts, so you are safe. It does take a bit to get used to, but Everton on our boat was with my kids every step of the way and they enjoyed it very much. We saw some beautiful fish and coral...give it a try! Next this tour takes you to Rum Point beach where we were given a grilled lunch (the blackened Mahi Mahi Sandwich was amazing!!) and about an hour and a half to swim, soak up the sun and enjoy the beautiful scenery! I would do this tour again in a heartbeat!!

We were just in Grand Cayman last week. We did the Rays, Reefs, and Rum Point tour through NativeWay also. FABULOUS TOUR! We had a group of 15 ranging in age from 40yrs old to 6 years old. They all loved it. Grand Cayman was our last port for the week and most of the kids said Rum Point was their favorite. The guides were wonderful and were great with the kids. They were very organized and communication to book the tour is excellent. We acutually used this company 4 years ago and loved it so much we decided to use them again. The interaction with the Sting Rays is something that you will never forget. AMAZING!

Archived